"Family Dinner" Recipes... Picky eaters. I'm stuck!

Options
My friends and I who have our own places are starting a thing called "family dinners" where once a week we go over to someones apartment and that someone has cooked dinner for the group. We're figuring doing this will guarantee that we all get to see each other at least once a week. And that I'm not stuck cooking 24/7 as of my friends that are currently wanting to do this I am the best cook of the group. However once this starts next month I don't know what to make for when it is my turn to cook.

Two of us are trying to lose weight.
Two of us are trying to gain weight.
Two of us don't eat fruits or vegetables, with the exception of green beans
I'm allergic to avocado and olives

I can't think of a recipe that will satisfy everyone with the exception of a build your own taco bar thing but thats boring.
I googled it and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What about tacos?
    Use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
    Use whole wheat tortillas.
    Toppings are endless! Tomatoes, Lettuce, Fat-Free Sour Cream, Cheese, Onion. Etc.
  • jessiwebb
    jessiwebb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband is such a picky eater, it took me five years to get him to eat veggies! He doesn't need to lose weight at all, so when I started this diet embargo, I was stuck on what to cook for us as a family meal without forcing him onto the diet with me, but also without completely screwing my diet at the same time. I came across an awesome compromise this weekend. BBQ Chicken Pizza.

Make a thin crust (or buy one - I like Boboli whole wheat thin crusts), toss on a glazing of your favorite bbq sauce (you don't need much at all). I put chopped (into very small, fine pieces so that my husband couldn't spot it ... and I also hid it under the cheese, lol) sweet red pepper and spinach, low fat mozzarella cheese and just over half a pound of cooked/cut up chicken on the pizza. Throw it into the oven and let it bake for 12-15 minutes and bam - hidden veggies, high protein and no fatty, greasy mess. :) Those trying to lose weight can limit themselves to a slice or two, those trying to gain can eat a ton more... and you could throw a spinach/veggie salad on the side for those of you who like that sort of thing.
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    vegatables hide very well in soups and you can make a variety of low cal soup. put half aside for the ones that are trying to lose weight and add extra ingredients for those that are trying to gain weight
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    What about tacos?
    Use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
    Use whole wheat tortillas.
    Toppings are endless! Tomatoes, Lettuce, Fat-Free Sour Cream, Cheese, Onion. Etc.

:noway: shes already thought of tacos, but i do agree Mexican is always safe in my house
  • amymaytay
    amymaytay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband is such a picky eater, it took me five years to get him to eat veggies! He doesn't need to lose weight at all, so when I started this diet embargo, I was stuck on what to cook for us as a family meal without forcing him onto the diet with me, but also without completely screwing my diet at the same time. I came across an awesome compromise this weekend. BBQ Chicken Pizza.

Make a thin crust (or buy one - I like Boboli whole wheat thin crusts), toss on a glazing of your favorite bbq sauce (you don't need much at all). I put chopped (into very small, fine pieces so that my husband couldn't spot it ... and I also hid it under the cheese, lol) sweet red pepper and spinach, low fat mozzarella cheese and just over half a pound of cooked/cut up chicken on the pizza. Throw it into the oven and let it bake for 12-15 minutes and bam - hidden veggies, high protein and no fatty, greasy mess. :) Those trying to lose weight can limit themselves to a slice or two, those trying to gain can eat a ton more... and you could throw a spinach/veggie salad on the side for those of you who like that sort of thing.

Sounds yummy--i am going to try this, thanks!
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How about teriyaki chicken kabobs over rice or couscous?

Chicken, pineapple and onion/peppers baked in over (or grilled) and lay over a bed of rice?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Mmmm .... same theme .... Teriyaki Chicken Pizza. Chicken, red onion, pineappple ... a "little" teriyaki sauce ... cheese of your choice

Italian pasta meals are good (whole wheat pasta) ... red sauce is generally low cal, just watch your meats and offer cheese on the side. Add some nice side salads (or not ... for picky eaters)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stir fries are great ..... marinate the meat ahead. Make up a simple sauce (broth, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, soy sauce) ......use a couple of frying pans ....add lots of veggies to one .....and picky eaters can choose fewer veggies (offer fresh green beans) ..... easy to mix and match. When you create the sauce .... this can be low cal. Be sure to watch your rice portions.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I frankly would ignore the picky part if its not a food allergy or intolerance,. some people are just stubborn at trying veggies and think they don't like any of them... what about just doing a veg with whatever you make in a yummy fantastic way so as to introduce the others to new ways of looking at vegs? ie roasted veg, or brussel sprouts sauteed with bacon and onion. or a cauliflower with cheese bake.... roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon or prosciutto add bacon and most ppl will try lol

a protein a carb and some veg... most people won't be rude and at least try stuff. maybe use it as an opportunity to expand everyone's pallet? stuffed pork tenderloin? marinated and grilled kabobs. home made burgers (beef or turkey) with a toppings bar and bun optional. sweet potato fries?

as for the gaining or losing... the gainers can have bigger portions. the losers can inflate their plates with veg or salad etc.

I used to have an ex that didn't like any veg yet loved stir fry... figure that one out. I bet you can get them to try more veggies.

salad i love: anything greek like, or spinach salad with berries (straw, blue, whatever) manderines, red onion, feta and raspberry vinagrette. yum.

green beans are delicious tossed in EVOO and roasted in the oven at 400 for 8-10 min. sprinkle with parm.

www.foodgawker.com is filled with ideas, or skinnytaste.com :)
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    People seem to be far less picky when they have to make it themselves ;)

In all seriousness, what about any balanced meal with appropriate portioning? My wife just made a recipe from the Chew TV show - Spicy Chicken Sausage Stew. Easy to make in large quantity, one pot and everyone loved it.