Anyone hit a plateau? ;/

Options
Argh! I've hit a dreaded plateau! I've been at this weight for a month, and still have some to lose (being completely realistic). I have about another 15-20 lbs to lose. Anyone hit a plateau and successfully broken through it?

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i honestly don't know if i have. i'm only 2 months in and i've only lost 9lbs. now i'm on week 3 of staying the same weight. i even changed up my calories. i don't know, i changed up my exercise so hopefully that will help.
    i wish someone had the answers i need. everyone else has different suggestions. i just want to know what will help me lose this weight i've wanted to lose my whole life.
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had been stuck for 3 weeks at the same weight. I finally broke on through this week. Lost 2 lbs just by adjusting my calories, and doing some circuit training on top of my cardio! Good Luck!
  • _mrsgigi_
    _mrsgigi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have b4, and when i up-ed my calories for a few days i dropped the weight..
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to adjust the amount of calories you're eating as well as change up your workouts. When my weight loss has been stalled, I've increased my calories (by 100-200) and then the weight started coming off. (I started at 1200 calories per day, then went up to 1400...now I'm at 1500).
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just broke after a month. I have had 2 before. I usually up my cals a little bit and switch up my exercise =) you will have a breakthrough soon
  • _mrsgigi_
    _mrsgigi_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to adjust the amount of calories you're eating as well as change up your workouts. When my weight loss has been stalled, I've increased my calories (by 100-200) and then the weight started coming off. (I started at 1200 calories per day, then went up to 1400...now I'm at 1500).

THIS!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It's been 6 months for me and I'm still waiting to break through it. I've upped my calories, lowered my calories, exercised more, changed my exercise routine, nothing so far.
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    I was stuck for a couple of weeks and what ended up solving it? An evening of not counting calories and eating whatever I fancied.

Not sure on the "science" of this but I always find I have consistently found that I lose more those weeks when I take a little break.
    Personally, I don't have a "cheat day" as other people call them, but do tend to have one meal a week that will easily take me over my calorie goal. Plus overall it keeps me on track as I can have those not-so-healthy treats that I've eliminated from my everyday diet.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I've been at a plateau for about 5 months now. I am currently upping my calories to see if that works at all because it has worked in the past.

OP, have you tried lifting? It might not make a huge change on the scale, but it will make a difference when you look at yourself naked!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just did this week! I was at 181.5 for three weeks, then I started Insanity. I also stayed serious about my water intake, eating my exercise calories back, and started being more honest with myself about how much I was eating. This morning I had lost 2.5 pounds. I seriously recommend changing up your exercise routine(more intense/more time), making sure you're hydrated, and paying closer attention to your macros. If none of that works, then maybe your body likes being where it is for now.
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hit many plateaus on my way down from my peak weight of nearly 400 lbs to my now steady-state weight of 185 lbs. Plateaus can be very frustrating. Some of mine dragged on for weeks, especially as I got lower and lower in weight. Plateaus seem to be periods where the body is trying to adjust the available mass. I found it helped to not be such a slave to the scale as the only means of telling I was losing. It was often during long plateaus that I would notice my clothes would suddenly start to feel looser. So pay attention to how your clothes feel. You may be surprised to find you can fit into a size smaller than you wore just a couple weeks ago.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for a couple of weeks and what ended up solving it? An evening of not counting calories and eating whatever I fancied.

Not sure on the "science" of this but I always find I have consistently found that I lose more those weeks when I take a little break.
    Personally, I don't have a "cheat day" as other people call them, but do tend to have one meal a week that will easily take me over my calorie goal. Plus overall it keeps me on track as I can have those not-so-healthy treats that I've eliminated from my everyday diet.

This, too. I have had a really hard time finding any scientific evidence to support it as well, but I know from personal experience, in my life and my fiancee's, that what he and I call a "metabolic reset" can work wonders.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My weight loss started to slow and I started lifting and it went back up! I also change things up at the gym every couple of days and added running and the weight is honestly melting off
  • I lost 40lbs over the space of 8-9months but now Ive been stuck at 213lb for about a month! really annoying.

I eat at around 1800cals a day and dont eat back my exercise
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't fill out your Diary so we can't see what you are eating. How many calories are you eating per day? Maybe bump it up (yes, UP) for a few days to shock your body. There are several threads about eating more to lose weight. Also, change up your routine? Always do the elliptical? Try the treadmill at a high speed.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i think i am living the world record of weight loss plateau!!! i lost 15 lbs at a healthy and consistent pace then stopped 100%. it has been about 6 months and i have been fluctuating back and forth 2lbs up and down. I only have 10 more lbs to go so i am moving to less cardio and more weights to see if that helps. i have tried everything on the food side, upping calories, lowering calories, decreasing sugar, salt... etc. and no changes. one thing many people suggested was changing up my workout cause my body had gotten used to it, so i have started the jillian michaels workout videos.

current plan: no white carbs for a month, no alcohol during the week, no dessert during the week and i am half way through jillian michaels 30 day shred... this better work!!

soo frustrating
  • valleydad
    valleydad Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've hit a plateau. I've hovered around 6 pounds of the same weight since early January. While it's frustrating, it doesn't diminish the weight lost before that and I haven't lost everything -- still eating well and even exercising more. Hoping not to give up. But it is frustrating and I want to break through to soldier on.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    If I were you I'd either reduce my net a little by doing 15 mins more exercise each sesh or cutting back 100 kcals
    Or I would boost my net by taking in 200-300 kcals more
    Depending on whether I thought my intake was too low/high

Before either of these I would have a less steady intake eg. Monday - 1650, Tuesday 1400, Wednesday 1500 etc.
  • pegasus925
    pegasus925 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    After 60 lbs, I hit one hard. Lasted nearly a year and I just maintained. I had to totally change my workout and started running. Now I'm up to 90lbs and counting. It was the worst.
  • BenFoley1
    Options
    yolo, mirin these aesthetics brahs?