Breakfast suggestions!

Options
Michow08
Michow08 Posts: 19 Member
Hey everyone- new at this but... I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on what I can eat for breakfast that will actually keep me full till lunch! I work at a desk so if breakfast wasn't "hearty" enough I will end up eating everything and anything that I shouldn't be lol I'm not a big fan of eggs... well only the yolk part actually. So any suggestions??
Thanks!! :)

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hey! I love oatmeal for breakfast - I do 1/2 cup of oats, and cook them with 1 cup of water in the microwave for 2 minutes with 1/4 cup of egg whites / egg beaters, and some salt. When it comes out I add some raspberries, honey, and cinnamon. Keeps me full til noon!
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love having porridge with raspberries and blueberries! I usually keep the fruit in the freezer and take out a handful in the morning. This usually keeps me full until lunch. :happy: :happy:
  • Michow08
    Options
    I have put fruit in the freezer too but it always seems to be super mushy when it defrosts... suggestions?
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Wholewheat cream of wheat farina is VERY filling and is loaded with iron. I add some honey and cinammon in it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal made with 1 cup almond milk. Add in whatever seasonings/sweeteners/berries/nuts/raisions you like. Once it's cooked, add in 1-2 egg whites. Stir really, really well to avoid the eggs scrambling. It will bulk the oatmeal up a bit, add some protein, and give it a really nice custardy texture.

If you can handle egg whties, I cook about 6 T liquid egg whites in the microwave. I use a bowl with a bottom about the size of an English muffin and let them set up in that shape. I toaste some low carb bread, a whole Wheat English muffin or bagel thin, slap the egg white "patty" on there and add some lowfat cheese. Sometimes I'll use some pre-ooked bacon or turkey sausage patty or vegentarian "sausage" patty as well. Kind of a homemade, healtheri version of a McMuffin!

Plain Greek yogurt with some fruit and/or a little honey. I also love it with mashed up banana and 1T peanut butter.

Can you not have snacks at your desk? I often do a container of yogurt, an apple with a string cheese, a snack baggie of berries, etc. for mid-morning munchies. You can also get packets of oatmeal and make it in a coffee mug.
  • Michow08
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal made with 1 cup almond milk. Add in whatever seasonings/sweeteners/berries/nuts/raisions you like. Once it's cooked, add in 1-2 egg whites. Stir really, really well to avoid the eggs scrambling. It will bulk the oatmeal up a bit, add some protein, and give it a really nice custardy texture.

If you can handle egg whties, I cook about 6 T liquid egg whites in the microwave. I use a bowl with a bottom about the size of an English muffin and let them set up in that shape. I toaste some low carb bread, a whole Wheat English muffin or bagel thin, slap the egg white "patty" on there and add some lowfat cheese. Sometimes I'll use some pre-ooked bacon or turkey sausage patty or vegentarian "sausage" patty as well. Kind of a homemade, healtheri version of a McMuffin!

Plain Greek yogurt with some fruit and/or a little honey. I also love it with mashed up banana and 1T peanut butter.

Can you not have snacks at your desk? I often do a container of yogurt, an apple with a string cheese, a snack baggie of berries, etc. for mid-morning munchies. You can also get packets of oatmeal and make it in a coffee mug.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I will definitely be trying the healthier McMuffin since the real McMuffin is a weakness of mine lol

I can have snacks at my desk... it just seems if I don't eat a filling breakfast I crave all the icky stuff... but I will try out those snack too! I have wanted to eat healthy just really didn't know how to go about it the right way.

Thank you again!! :)
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    People make fun of me (people being my husband) because of how I eat my eggs. I don't like them very much and will only eat them a couple of ways. My favorite is fried, over medium. If it's not over medium, it goes in the trash. I also have to mash up my fried egg with a fork so that the slightly runny yolk is all over every piece of white. Honestly, I had no idea normal people didn't do this until I was almost in my 30s. Anyway, mashing up a fried egg, adding seasoning salt and loading it onto a toasted english muffin is actually very tolerable and even yummy.

I also like them scrambled with feta, seeded cherry tomatoes and scallions or scrambled with just crumbled sausage.

That's it. Do not bring me eggs any other way. ;-)

Also, I usually have a Greek yogurt at my desk around 10am, because I just can't wait until noon to eat.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am another big fan of oatmeal. Someone here on MFP shared this link with me and I made this recipe this week and I love it!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/

But I also have a mid-morning snack. Breakfast all the way to lunch is usually too long for me to wait! :flowerforyou:
  • Michow08
    Options
    I am another big fan of oatmeal. Someone here on MFP shared this link with me and I made this recipe this week and I love it!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/

But I also have a mid-morning snack. Breakfast all the way to lunch is usually too long for me to wait! :flowerforyou:

YUM!!! those look delicious!!
  • MangosandMiles
    Options
    Oatmeal usually keeps me full. I usually do 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 tbs of peanut butter, and sliced banana.

Although lately I have been obsessed with whole wheat bread, peanut butter, and sliced banana with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Can you tell I am a fan of peanut butter and bananas?! :)
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like carbs so anything whole wheat works for me. Wheat english muffins and an egg, or protein pancake/waffles with fruit, a whoe wheat raisin muffin. I love all that, it's healthy and keeps me going till mid morning snack time.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Muesli, greek yogurt and honey tends to keep me full until lunch, as does the BBC Good Food breakfast smoothie. I tend to have toast and jam, a blueberry muffin, scone and butter, a hot cross bun and butter, or something similar for breakfast though on a workday because they're quick and easy on-the-go and then I have some fruit - dried or fresh - or a cereal bar at about 11 which keeps me going until lunchtime.

Ax
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie, banana or apple cinnamon oatmeal, egg and spinach wrap, english muffin with a little peanut butter, egg sandwich with english muffin and Kashi go lean with a banana and almond milk.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Organic waffles topped with banana. Take a little syrup, add some peanut butter, heat in microwave and pour on top. It's around 300-350 calories, just watch your serving sizes on everything. Something about this combination seems to last a long time.

Also, a two egg omelet with 1/4 cup shredded cheese, salsa, and light sour cream. It's only around 225 calories. For a heartier breakfast, you can add black beans.

Variation of above...I have used quinoa, and added banana, peanut butter, and agave nectar.
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive been having the following at work and found it really filling:
    -100g plain low fat yogurt
    -30g blueberries (frozen or fresh)
    - chopped mango or banana
    -10g porridge oats

I find the fruit nice and sweet but the oats keep me nicely full :0)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I find that protein is what keeps me fullest, longest so I've been making cottage cheese pancakes lately. They're silver dollar size, so super fast to cook. It's 1/2c oatmeal, 1/2c low fat cottage cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 egg whites. Blend in a blender till smooth, cook on a pan or griddle lightly sprayed with cooking oil. I typically get 12 silver dollar size pancakes out of it. Today I had 6 for breakfast and 6 for an afternoon snack, all of them with a smidgen of raspberry preserves. Mmmmmmm.