Need TDEE Help, so confused!

Options
Hi, I am new to MFP and I am a shortie. :) I am 4'11 and 1/2" LOL, I weigh 165 right now and my goal weight is 115. I am 37 years old and need some help figuring out this BMR, TDEE stuff. I am so confused. I am not sure how much to eat/exercise, and how long it will take to get down to my goal weight? Help. :)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    BMR - the amount of energy (cals) needed by your body to do the most basic functions - breathe, pump blood, etc. Eating below this for any significant length of time generally has negative side effects (body composition, general nutrition, hormones, energy levels, etc)

TDEE - the amount of energy (cals) needed by your body to do everything you ask of it throughout the day, from breathing and pumping blood to running errands and doing house work to exercise. Eat above this to gain weight, eat below it to lose weight.

Generally to lose weight you'll want to eat between those 2 numbers. There are lots of calculators on the web to help you get a number for each. How long it takes to lose the weight will depend on how much weight you have to lose, how aggressively you try to lose it, and how dedicated you are to the plan.
  • hhedrick2000
    hhedrick2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, do I add eat more to make up for the calories I have burned, or is that figured into the TDEE? I don't want to eat too much, but I don't want to not eat enough either. I went online an calculated my BMR and TDEE. My BMR = 1339, TDEE = 2022. If I eat 1400 calories daily, I am calcuating that I would lose just over 1 pound per week. When I add exercises into MFP, it adds more calories for me to eat, thus my confusion.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You said TDEE is 2022. What type of activity? Also to lose weight you need to eat 15 or 20% bellow that number so around 1600-1700 cals. not 1400.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, do I add eat more to make up for the calories I have burned, or is that figured into the TDEE? I don't want to eat too much, but I don't want to not eat enough either. I went online an calculated my BMR and TDEE. My BMR = 1339, TDEE = 2022. If I eat 1400 calories daily, I am calcuating that I would lose just over 1 pound per week. When I add exercises into MFP, it adds more calories for me to eat, thus my confusion.

I would suggest eating 20% below TDEE, and if you calculated TDEE assuming exercise, then don't eat back the added calories. If you follow MFP's caloric intake guide (most likely for you would be 1200 cals, then you would eat them back) So eat 1200+ what you burn, or 1618 (2022-20%)
  • Dana53179
    Options
    I found this blog post to be very helpful. It has a link to calculators, too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Merithyn/view/eat-more-weigh-less-demystified-293364
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    What multiplier did you use for the TDEE calculation? Sedentary, Light Activity, Moderate Activity, High Activity, Extreme Activity. I use sedentary because I have a desk job. MFP adds the exercise calories to your calorie goal if you input the exercise. IMO, you can eat a portion of those calories you get from exercise. I'd recommend the same % of that as you eat vs your TDEE.
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is a handy tool that calculates BMR and TDEE (with the reduction)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Read all the threads with red pins, then if you have questions, join the group. Run by very informed members.
  • hhedrick2000
    hhedrick2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you everyone! There is so much good information on the boards. I will do some more reading. :)
  • PattiBaldwin88
    PattiBaldwin88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what exercise level to put in the TDEE calculator. I have a desk job but I also am working out 6 days a week. Advice?
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    With MFP you can set up your activity level. If you set your activity level to include the exercise you plan to do, I would not eat back your exercise calories. I say this because MFP has already included them in the allowance it gives you.

I coach tumbling and cheerleading for my job and I am pretty active for 1/2 of the day. I set my activity level to lightly active and eat back my exercise calories. I do this because I am not always active everyday. I dont always spot kids or take my dogs for a walk or go for a run. I would rather enter those as exercise calories when I actually do the activity.

As far as TDEE and BMR. I calculate these and compare them to what MFP is telling me. MFP is actually telling me to eat below my supposed BMR which is not healthy. I make sure eat at least my BMR every day.

This whole process is trial and error. Try what MFP tells you... if it doesnt work change it up!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Bump to read when I am not "supposed" to be working.
  • bReCiNoS1107
    Options
    I read your post about needing help. I'm the same as you I'm 4'11 as well and I weight 161. I found this website yesterday that I think will help because I too am having a hard time. It took my weight, age, height, goal weight and how active I am then it calculates how much you should eat and how much you should exercise. Like for me it says that I should eat 1385 calories a day, but within that I should lose 250 calories a day. It explains that I should eat 1385 calories and minus the 250 calories I burn through fitness equals my daily goal calories to 1135. I hope this helps and good luck!!!!!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner/default.htm