Constipation :(

Options
13»

Replies

• beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am the master of constipation (unfortunately). I tried everything, including laxatives, but only got temporary relief. I recently found that 1 serving of dried apricots a day keeps things moving! You wouldn't believe how happy I am that I can FINALLY go! :tongue:
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Eat apricots. I once ate a whole bag and was scared to sneeze for 3 days afterwards incase I shat myself.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I can't stop... been there!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat apricots. I once ate a whole bag and was scared to sneeze for 3 days afterwards incase I shat myself.

LMFAO!! Thanks!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    every time I start a diet within the first week I become constipated. I know this is down to a change in my food .....

can anyone suggest a low calorie food that will help me go and I can incorporate into my everyday diet.

I already eat wholemeal bread, but drastically cut down to a few slices a week. I have Bran flakes for breakfast and constantly eat fresh veg and fruit throughout the day.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated :)

Do you also cut way back on fat when you start to diet? Fat is an essential nutrient for pooping among other things. You should be meeting your fat macro goals or at least coming very close...it is far more essential than carbs.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Even though I thought I was getting enough fiber and eating the right foods, I evidently had severe constipation. So much that it showed up on a back X-Ray I had done. My Dr said to use Miralax powder. You just add a capful to any beverage and drink it. Within 3 days you should see results. It is not harmful like Ducolax and others and it is really gentle on your system. Just a suggestion. I now use Miralax about every other week per Drs orders.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have issues with constipation. In the first week of starting this, I went once. :-/ But fortunately, I had those chewable fiber tabs, ate one twice a day with plenty of water, and I'm already back on the regular train a week and a half later.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I just responded to this in another topic but will again: MAGNESIUM! Get thee to a grocery store and buy an over the counter magnesium supplement. (I take one that is a combo of Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc). I take one pill with every meal. It has completely changed my life! Someone else had posted this tip a while back on MFP. Several people agreed. I did a little online research to make sure I wouldn't end up with another problem by ingesting too much magnesium, but everything I found about it was very postive. Give it a try! It sure beats prune juice!
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    never under estimate the value of fiber in fruits and vegetables too. I don't eat bread or cereal at all and I get plenty of fiber from vegetables and nuts (I make myself eat a few fruits each week for other benefits). You might also think of juicing--beet juice with carrot and spinach is very yummy, full of fiber and seriously if that doesn't mooove you, see a doctor!