Yoga Question - Backbends/Full Wheel (whatever its called)

Options
I am a new yogi, so far I am loving it, though I never thought I could be THIS sore! LOL Anyways, my arm strength is pretty weak, I am getting the hang of low pushups etc, but I can not FOR THE LIFE OF ME push up into a backbend! I can barely push up to rest on my head, then when I try to just push up (because it looks SO damn easy LOL), nothing :grumble: . Its like I have no arms, or at least they are not capable doing anything. :sad:

With that said, do any "seasoned" yogi's have some tips or exercises you recommend to help build that strength? Or do I just keep trying? I feel like there must be something I can do on a daily basis to strengthen them. Like I said, when I am facing down I can push up just fine, but when you reverse it, I can't push up from my back at. all.

Anyways, and tips would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller? :bigsmile:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    This is quite an advanced pose in yoga that requires a fair bit of foundation flexibility and tricep, shoulder, rhomboid strength. Keep at it doing a little every day and you will be surprised how quickly you start to build the specific strength and awareness you need to progress.

How many push-ups can you do? It may simply a need for more pushing strength.

Look up Purvottanasana (Table Top Pose), a good supplementary exercise for Full Wheel. Practise getting your Downward Facing Dog as this will also build the same strength you need when pushing up through the arms into the back.
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I can only do a couple of push ups, so I definitely need to keep at it LOL.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it a year ago - I had the flexibility but not the strength. I can do it now!

My advice is keep at it. You will develop the strength over time. I started doing weight training with ChaLean Extreme about 6 months ago and recently moved to Stronglifts and I think that really helped so I'd also recommend incorporating additional strength training, even if it's bodyweight workouts if you don't have access to weights.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I can only do a couple of push ups, so I definitely need to keep at it LOL.

Also, check out this program to improve your pushups - super simple but works.

www.hundredpushups.com/
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips from my friend Christina:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNK0q8nFJc

Here are some more :
    try pushing up from a bolster or two - some people need just help getting off the ground - you can also try from a chair:
    for the first video, place your hands on the chair like she has and push up that way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW5oOjdYO5o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVbNeBDo26U

You have to get your weight on your legs, not your arms, here's the technique: from the ground, move your knees forward of your ankles. Lift your hips and come up into a little bridge pose. Then, move your weight toward your feet more. Now you are using your strong legs to lift you up. Press down with your heels to lift your buttocks higher as you are shifting your weight further toward your knees and pressing up with your hands. Think of pressing your hands toward your knees, not toward the ceiling.
    If that made sense, great. If it worked, thank Judith Lasater - I learned it from her.