Training for 5k

Options
How the hell do you get past the pain in the shins?? The muscles on each side of the bone hurt so bad! Even stretching before and after! This 6 week program is easily going to take me 12-18 weeks :-(

Replies

• tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I am doing the C25K. It takes it really slow which is nice
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K. It takes it really slow which is nice

I'm doing that too!! Guess I'm just really out of shape for running !!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for proper running shoes. I bought a pair of asics from a random store when I first started running and I had shin splints and leg pain really bad. Then my sister took me to a running store and they fitted me for running shoes. The ones they recommended were asics as well. But it made a world of difference my legs felt great after I got proper shoes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for proper running shoes. I bought a pair of asics from a random store when I first started running and I had shin splints and leg pain really bad. Then my sister took me to a running store and they fitted me for running shoes. The ones they recommended were asics as well. But it made a world of difference my legs felt great after I got proper shoes.

This! Shoes can make a huge difference.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Agreed, makes all the difference in the world having proper running shoes. Go to a well known store for running (Running Room). I wear Saucony's after trying everything else and being told by Dr.'s to stop running because of the pain. I refused to stop, just kept shopping until I found a pair that worked for me.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You need proper running shoes and fitted for them. Many think they can run in anything and it honestly is not the case. Stretch and ice after each workout until they feel better.
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree about the shoes. I also have compression sleeves which help me a lot! I only wear them when running more than 10 miles but sometimes wear them under slacks to work. Good luck, you can do it.
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Shoes help a lot. I got fitted and have a pair of Brooks. I have never had shin splints with them but do get calf pain from time to time.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Ok that could be it ! I have new balance all trainers I've had for a few years maybe time for something new . Little low on money though so going to have to go to big 5 . Do you know if they will fit you for a shoe ? What do they do to fit you ??
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I went to virginia runner yeaterday, they fitted me, explained at least partly why I was having trouble. The sole cut in too much and they way my foot was my weight was not over the sole.

Started couch to 5k last night and didn't have nearly as much pain in the calves and shins. The shoes were about $120. What some people suggest is go to one of these sepcialty running stores, get fitted, then go online and buy last year's version of the same shoe. You can save 50%, or so I have heard.

EDIT: Oh forgot to add, the guy that was fitting me said you will have pain there for a while because the mucles on the sides need time to build up.
  • hoss8640
    hoss8640 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for the proper shoes and just go slow!! Shoes that are a few years old and have been around the block are not adequate for running. If you can't talk while running then you are running too fast. So slow down and wear the right shoes and everything should be fine after that.
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting fitted a store that sells running gear - l most times they are runners themselves and can watch you walk to see what is the best brand and fit for you.

If you add too many miles too quickly you can get shin splints as well as the surface you run on . . . if you can run on a trail which gives alittle more than the asphalt it might go along way.

I personally like Brooks.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    I think i will save up for a few weeks then to get something decent and continue a I am now slowly and just deal with it until I get the new ones . Thanks everyone :-)
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am doing my own version of couch to 5k. I am adding a minute every time I run (3 times a week). Tonight I will go for 15 minutes. I am currently 330lbs and training to run a 5k May 18th. I did buy new shoes before I started. You can do it!
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

This totally. I was wearing a too small of shoe and I was getting bad shin splints. When you get fitted dont feel obligated to buy shoes fromt he running store they tend to be a bit pricey. I got a pair somewhere else for 50 bucks...WOOT! :)
    Good luck!
  • BeautifullyHuman123
    BeautifullyHuman123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic, with even greater comments...helps me tremendously!

I started c25k and surprisingly I don't have many leg pains, rather just trying to build up my endurance...I GET SOOOOO TIRED just 10 mins into the runs. I'll use the suggestions posted "if you can't talk while running, you're going too fast" and slow down, find my stride at a slower pace.

As well, the shoes I've been wearing are more than 10 years old...gasp! Reeboks Walking DMX...great shoes, but I do believe they've served their purpose. I think I'll treat myself to a new pair of fitted shoes!! :happy:
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I just wanted to tell you that if you push through that 10 minutes of hell, it gets easier the longer you run. Eventually you hit a place where it feels really good and you don't need to stop. To find it in the c25k plan, I ran for as long as I could and then went 3-5 minutes with 1 minute of walking in between. I did this somewhere around week 5 or 6 and it really helped me to figure out how longit takes to get to that sweet spot. Happy running!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    C25K- I have repeated weeks when I didnt feel ready to move on
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    This is a great topic, with even greater comments...helps me tremendously!

I started c25k and surprisingly I don't have many leg pains, rather just trying to build up my endurance...I GET SOOOOO TIRED just 10 mins into the runs. I'll use the suggestions posted "if you can't talk while running, you're going too fast" and slow down, find my stride at a slower pace.

As well, the shoes I've been wearing are more than 10 years old...gasp! Reeboks Walking DMX...great shoes, but I do believe they've served their purpose. I think I'll treat myself to a new pair of fitted shoes!! :happy:

You definitely should treat yourself :)
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    C25K- I have repeated weeks when I didnt feel ready to move on

I think I probably will as well