I want to start running, but...

Options
chercee
chercee Posts: 120 Member
.... I don't really know how. I'm so embarrassed to admit that, but it's true.

Ok, if a bigass snarling dog was running at me, I know how to "run" - away, that is. But running for fitness? I'm really not sure. I used to run in uni because it was free exercise, but I don't think I was doing it correctly. A few years have gone by, and I'd like to work my way up to it. Where do I start? I went to the Running Room to get some suggestions about shoes, but they could totally tell I had no idea what I was talking about, and I was really uncomfortable.

Right now I walk 12km a week (4km x3 days) if not more, and I wear New Balance shoes for that. I have trouble with my left ankle and also my left toe, so I have to be careful with shoes.

I'm afraid my cardio isn't good enough. I don't want to wind myself, keel over, or get one of those exercise headaches.

Ok, runners - hit me with your advice!

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend the c25k app enough. Also, Zombies, Run! has a c25k training app too.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Start with the Couch To 5k program. It works you up to running a full 5k with walk/run combinations. The first week you only have to run for 60 second spurts and walk for 90 second spurts. It's great for first time runners!
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K!!!
  • mwain001
    mwain001 Posts: 13
    Options
    C25k. All the way

Also, go to your local running store and be properly fitted for shoes. They will give yo all the advice you need!

Go for it though, you'll never look back
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I dont like running cuz my boobs bounce too much!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    As others have said, get the C25K app.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There's a "how to run a 5k" program available for free and as downloadable apps for your phone called "Couch To 5K" or C25K. Search the web for it.

It's a great program for learning to run, b/c you start off doing run/walk intervals, increasing the running time, and decreasing the walking time as you progress. Because most versions are done by time rather than distance, you are better able to learn to monitor your effort and stay at a more maintainable pace.

It's a super easy program to follow, you can repeat weeks as necessary (I did). I did it nearly 3 years ago (while overweight) and I do ultra marathons now. :)
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    Run like you would from the dog just at a pace you think you can keep for the distance you want to run, if you get too tired walk the rest until you feel you can run again....repeat next time but try to run farther than last time continuosly....repeat until goal is met...set new goal
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm not exactly a 'runner' BUT I've been trying to get into running myself. Many people will recommend doing the Couch to 5k programme, because it's really good and gets you started off running for one minute at a time with a rest, and then builds you up from there. If you don't fancy that, you could just do what I do - run till you can't run anymore, then try to run for longer each time! There are plenty of routines that will get you into running, out there on the internet, but for a proper beginner I'd say definitely go with couch to 5k!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

lol, they make sports bras, ya know. ;) I started running while overweight and still nursing a baby!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    C25K

C25K

C25K

C25K

And if none of those work for you, try C25K.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I have that same problem, so I wear 2 sports bras.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also used Couch to 5K when I decided to start running. I was also someone who thought she could "never" run.

Before that, though, go to a specialty running store. They will look at your feet, your shoes, you gait, and help you find shoes that are suited to your feet and the way you run. It will cost $ for the shoes, but will be worth it to avoid injury and make running more fun. Since you said you went to a store, I say... try a different store! I am in a fairly small town so there is only one true running store here and they are SO helpful. Tell them you are new and need help! Or, if you have any "runner friends", you could bring them along with you shoe shopping! I have a few friends who are serious runners and I talk to them whenever I have questions.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm merrily obese, hadn't run since college rugby, endurance of a mayfly and C25K started off lightly enough for me to handle.

As to 'how', I've seen a lot of reccomendations about stride, but I just do what comes naturally and seems sustainable. Unless you're hurting yourself or aching after a light run you probably aren't doing it 'wrong'.

I personally wear those funky looking toe shoes to jog, but they may not be awesome for your ankle-- consider maybe a brace if it starts giving you trouble?

Above all, just hydrate super well an hour beforehand, take it slow, and remember to breathe.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    To start dl c25k app for your phone the free zenlabs is a good one
    put your shoes on and GO they tell you when to walk and when to run
    Go slow ..... slow enough that slugs pass you
    remember to breath
    you want to land mid foot NOT heel first
    oh and did I mention GO slow

will it hurt .... yup
    is it worth it OMG in more ways than I could tell you :laugh:

and ENJOY all the ups and downs
  • Alcanta
    Alcanta Posts: 11
    Options
    I´ve never run in my life, even to catch the bus.

I started "trying" a month ago, and managed some kind of big-assed-jog for like 5/10 minutes. Not a pretty sight.:ohwell: The rest of the time I just power walked, which seems to work OK for me.

Today i´ve seen the light. :bigsmile:

If you start jogging DOWN HILL, you will start running in no time and it will feel rather "natural". Then you just keep the pace. Obviously as soon as you reach an up-hill stretch you will be sweating like death and slowing down... but it is a beginning, isn´t it!

Let´s just keep going!
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We should really all get sponsored by Zen Labs at this point for pushing their app so hard...
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yep, like everyone else I recommend c25k. I did it a little over six months ago, and have finished several 5k races, an obstacle race, and this past weekend my first ever 10k! I never could have done that without c25k.
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options

lol, they make sports bras, ya know. ;) I started running while overweight and still nursing a baby!

You can get REALLLLLLLY supportive sports bras - I am a G cup and mine don't bounce too much when they are in a sports bra.
    My butt however .... that is a different story!
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said C25K. Also ditto on the local running store. Don't worry if you don't know, they are there to help you. Once you build a good base you can work on time and other things. Go get 'em and good luck!!!