Lap band surgery life saver when used with MFP!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am a 61 year old female who had lap band surgery 1/3/12. At my pre-surgery appointment I weighed 217+ lbs on a 5'4" body. Today, I weigh 183 lbs a lose of 35 lbs.

I decided to get the lap band because I have high blood pressure, a knee replacement, osteoarthritis, and exercising wasn't easy. Surgery isn't for everyone but I can say that My Fitness Pal has been a god send for my program. It enables me to track my food intake and meet my dietary goals. I have shared this website with my surgeon's office.

The 35 lb weight loss is already helping me. My knees don't hurt, I am more active, and my blood pressure is finally coming down. A healthy life style leads to good things. Don't get discouraged. maidmarion51:happy:

Replies

• suzyb225
    suzyb225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have a Lap Band. I had mine done in 4/2008. I have not been successful with it because I haven't followed the eating plan. I have to do this NOW. My health is suffering. I have high blood pressure that I take 3 meds for and it still isn't in a good range.
    What is your day like food wise?
    Sue
  • acrealizm
    acrealizm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was banded 11/2009. I was a little over 400lbs, and dropped down to 300 lbs in the first year with no exercise. After the first year, I learned how to eat around the band and I made a point not to go for adjustments. The last six months I have considered just getting all the fluid taken out so I can eat more of what I want while telling myself I can control my habits. I have been feeling like the band has let me down. Suddenly my gall bladder failed and had to be removed. Before surgery, they took out all my fluid and I've been without any restriction for 3 weeks. I have gained 25 lbs in the short time as I have been splurging. I have a new found appreciation for the band and will be getting a fill in 1 week. After talking with some fellow lap banders at my doctors office, they encouraged me to use MFP and only after day 1 I can tell this is really going to be a helpful tool. I'm saddened by the way I spent the last year+ eating around the band. During that time I didn't gain, but I didn't loose either. I'm now back on the wagon and ready to tackle this issue head on. The band is simply a tool to assist me in my weight loss goals. Without exercise, eating healthy, and recognizing the mental/psychological addiction to food, the lap band won't be much of a success. Where I have a hard time is in meal planning. I work a lot, have business lunches so I often eat out or eat on the go. I'm looking for ideas from other banders on better habits when eating out and simple meals I can prepare at home. A lot of the recipe books I've seen for post-weight loss surgery patients just don't have the simple, easy recipes a guy like me needs.
  • shellywoodhead
    shellywoodhead Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Using Mfp together with my band, is what has made me a successful bander
  • r121567
    r121567 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was banded 2 years ago - at first I had some success but I never really changed the habits that put the weight on. The band has not been the instant, effort free solution I had hoped for. I am finding that I still have to work for it. I LOVE MFP, wish I had found it sooner. I am keeping track of everything I put in my mouth and seeing how much I was eating between meals and turning to the easier to swallow *BAD* stuff.

Exercising every day and trying to eat my 1200 calories - down 5 lbs in two weeks but working hard for those pounds!

Do any of you find it difficult to eat enough calories? I am only getting an average of 1100 and not eating any of my exercise calories.
  • suzyb225
    suzyb225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first week of using MFP and my lapband properly Ive lost 3lbs. I used to be disappointed with that amount but no more..Any loss I will be happy with. Or if I don't lose for a week or so, that'll be ok too. As long as Im doing what Im supposed to be and exercising the weight WILL come off.
    So far so good.. Im happy!:flowerforyou:
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was banded 6-6-11 about a year, I am down but only because of changing my lifestyle not the band, If I were as educated as I am now with foods I would of never had the surgery... But we live and learn.. I love this site... It is wonderful.
  • emma313823
    Options
    Hi All - had my surgery in May of 2012 and h ave lost almost 58. My success is based on knowing that this is not an option for me - this is how I need to live my life. I've been blogging about my journey for myself and for others who are considering the lapband and hopefully to inspire those who have already done it. http://myblogz.us/mylapbandjourney
  • katjonathan
    Options
    Yes, You can easily go for the Lap Band Surgery if you full fill all the different requirements needed. The increased fat results in numbers of complications in the body so losing the weight becomes a very important. You just need to follow the regular diet plan that will help you out in reducing the body weight. Lap Band surgery Book will help you out through all the different stages of surgery. You can get more information from : http://www.lapbandsolutionbook.com
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was banded 6-6-11 about a year, I am down but only because of changing my lifestyle not the band, If I were as educated as I am now with foods I would of never had the surgery... But we live and learn.. I love this site... It is wonderful.
    Ditto
  • karlalband
    Options
    Any Lap-Banders please add me for a friend. I had this done 3 years ago this week. You know what you have to go thru to get the surgery done. It's not easy. And what I lost I gained back. I wish I knew about MFP back then. In Oct 2012 I started MFP and came down 35lbs this week. I don't hear much talk on here about the LB. I agree with topic. Looking for more support from Lap Band friends. Thank you.
  • karlalband
    Options
    I was banded 2 years ago - at first I had some success but I never really changed the habits that put the weight on. The band has not been the instant, effort free solution I had hoped for. I am finding that I still have to work for it. I LOVE MFP, wish I had found it sooner. I am keeping track of everything I put in my mouth and seeing how much I was eating between meals and turning to the easier to swallow *BAD* stuff.

Exercising every day and trying to eat my 1200 calories - down 5 lbs in two weeks but working hard for those pounds!

Do any of you find it difficult to eat enough calories? I am only getting an average of 1100 and not eating any of my exercise calories.
    Yes have had the same problem. And will soon be visiting the staff that done my Lap-Band.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    THanks for sharing. Not lap banded but I have often wondered about the procedure as it compares to Gastric. People think just because you get banded that the wait will fall off ...thanks for setting the record straight.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had my first band implanted on 6/3/2004 and lost 172 lbs in 3 years. In April of 2007 my band slipped and I had to have it replaced. My doctor would not tighten my bad as there were other issues going on and he wanted me to wait to have it tightened. Within 1 year I put back almost 100 lbs of what I had lost. I have struggled with this 100lbs ever since. I started using MFP in Jan 2012 and am down almost 40 lbs. One thing I learned...your metabolism resets itself after about a year, so if your body is used to surviving on 600-700 calories a day and you increase it to 1200 calories a day, you WILL gain until your metabolism resets itself. Last year I had most of the fluid taken out of my band as I was not getting enough nutrition in to fuel my body and exercise program. This caused me to stay at the same weight for almost 6 months. I am now losing steadily again and eating between 1100 and 1300 calories a day.

The band and MFP are both great tools, but I have found that the best tool is knowledge. I have learned so much in the last year and as another poster said, if I had been as educated then as I am now, i KNOW I could have done this without the band. Still would not change a thing, I am currently down 112 lbs and have 60 left. With MFP we can do this for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
  • karlalband
    Options
    My first week of using MFP and my lapband properly Ive lost 3lbs. I used to be disappointed with that amount but no more..Any loss I will be happy with. Or if I don't lose for a week or so, that'll be ok too. As long as Im doing what Im supposed to be and exercising the weight WILL come off.
    So far so good.. Im happy!:flowerforyou:
    Stick with this you will be happy
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bander but I'm pre-op for VSG and I couldn't imagine trying to take this journey without MFP.
  • riffrox
    riffrox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for MFP. I've tracked calories before but only for a couple months at a time. I'm scheduled for an iBand (lap band with plication) next month. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Any advice?
  • amberfeary
    amberfeary Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I am 6 months post op Lap Band. I have lost 50 lbs. But sometimes, as you know, your band is a lot tighter from day to day, meal to meal. OR your band is not tight at all. It is very inconsisant is what I am seeing, as far as a steady trend goes. So one the days my band in really tight, I prolly only get in 600-800, plus after a work out, I burn 400 of that, so my net is only 200 calories a day! Not good. It has stalled my WLS and also my metabolism and is making my hair fall out, and it has messed up my periods too~!~ So I am here to better track my calories. losing weight will ALWAYS be a struggle, with WLS or not.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I had VSG surgery last week (which like the band is purely restrictive and not malabsorptive) instead of the band, and I LOVE using MFP. I know that I will automatically lose SOME weight with VSG, but I don't want to lose SOME weight... I want to lose ALL of my excess weight, but to do that will take discipline and careful tracking of nutrients and calories. I also love that I can just easily share my diary with my nutritionist for advice! MFP rocks!
  • kayjane92
    kayjane92 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am getting banded in a few months. I got a doctor that will accept my insurance. I was wondering what foods can you eat and can't eat after the surgery? And any advice that is helpful.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I just came back today- used to be very religios here on MFP for a long time- and than i started slipping away - i guess when no results came after long long plato.
    Well -now i came back and checked- my last recorded weight here was 242 - as of today it is 279!
    I'm in the process of getting the Lap Band. Probably end of May or beg. of june.
    Can't do this anymore without any results. I know that Lap Band is not a miracle surgery and it won't work alone , but i had been doing everything and had no sucess.

My problem is i just can't stop eating. This is embarassing. ( I was very strict when i was regular here- my workouts were extreme- and my plan was followed to the dot. ) .. I went down from 285, to 220, back to 240.. than 260, back to 240.. and now 279
    I'm tired of doing this back and forth.. i want to get some real results.
    At this point i really can't do any serious workouts .. my knees hurt.. joins/ankles.. i'm feeling like crap.. ( excuse my lang.)

Is anyone " addicted to food " ? I'm really tired of looking for " deeper " reasons all the questions of " what is eating you ? " etc.. i don't know what is eating me ! I just eat. Why ? I don't know .. i can be fine one moment the next moment i swear i'm tasting xy in my mouth and i need to have it NOW.. i can taste it i can smell it .. i NEED it..
    it can be anything.. can be sweet , can be salty.. can be whatever never know what can "hit " me sometimes it's i need the candy fix, sometimes is the salt fix.. the carbs fix.. whatever its DRUG

I'm ebarassed to talk about this with my friends/family. I'm avoiding any social meetings- avoiding to meet my friends esp. since i put all the weight back on.. i'm feeling like a complete failiure.. why can't i stop eating ?

I hope that the Lap Band will be helpful.. i mean i have nothing to lose but weight.. right ? it's not ireversible.. so that's why i pi cked the L.B. vs the other ones. I have tried everything and i feel this is my last hope.

Anyone- in similar situations- or similar experience- and Lap Band friends- please add me to friends i really need some support .. really alone in this - not because i wouldn't have support in family and friend cycle- but because i'm to embarassed about it and i'm just " hiding "