I can't get this fitbit thing down.

OK I just got my fitbit yesterday and I am trying to get use to this. I have my fitbit linked with my fitness pal. I am trying to figure out why fitbit is giving me so many calories. I have my fitness pal set to sedentary and my fitbit profile is personalized. Fitbit is giving me around 650 to 750 activity calories a day. I workout in the mornings for about 45 minutes to an hour. I do the elliptical and walking with some light weights. I am a stay at home mom so my days consist of light cleaning everyday and basic stuff around the house. I don't feel like there is any way I am burning the calories they are giving me. What am I doing wrong? Oh and I am averaging about 10000 steps a day. I even pace around the house just to reach that goal if I have to

Replies

• DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    i don't have a fitbit but if you're wearing it all day and its tracking everything, its entirely possible you are burning that
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Listen to the fitbit...it knows all :smile:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    Yup, just because you don't think it should be that high doesn't mean it *isn't* that high.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    From what you've described, if you're working out for an hour and moving around most of the day it sounds like a reasonable number of calories burned above and beyond sedentary calories.

Do you have your MFP set to sedentary as well? I'm just wondering if all the Fitbit calories will be added on top of your MFP calories, even if your MFP calories already include light or moderate activity. That could result in double-dipping.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    OK I just got my fitbit yesterday and I am trying to get use to this. I have my fitbit linked with my fitness pal. I am trying to figure out why fitbit is giving me so many calories. I have my fitness pal set to sedentary and my fitbit profile is personalized. Fitbit is giving me around 650 to 750 activity calories a day. I workout in the mornings for about 45 minutes to an hour. I do the elliptical and walking with some light weights. I am a stay at home mom so my days consist of light cleaning everyday and basic stuff around the house. I don't feel like there is any way I am burning the calories they are giving me. What am I doing wrong? Oh and I am averaging about 10000 steps a day. I even pace around the house just to reach that goal if I have to

You said that you worked out for 45-60 minutes in the morning. Did you log that exercise in MFP? If not, then Fitbit could be over-crediting you for that exercise. Here's what to do:
    * After you exercise, log it in MFP. Be sure to give an accurate duration and start time!! (e.g., 30 minutes starting at 10 am)
    * MFP sends that info to Fitbit, and Fitbit replaces that segment in its records/dashboard with the MFP calories (e.g., that 30 min from 10-10:30 am)
    * Then Fitbit adjusts the "activity calories" that it sends to MFP accordingly

What most people dont' realize is that there is a lot of back-and-forth between Fitbit and MFP during the day. For example, Fitbit will send over to MFP in the early morning an *estimated* amount of activity calories that you *might* burn during the day. Then it adjusts that projection with actual activity data throughout the day. That's why it's important to 1) allow the negative calorie adjustments from Fitbit setting and 2) sync your Fitbit often during the day so it can update MFP often.

PS: It is very normal to burn around 700+ activity calories during the day just walking around and living. I do the same. Exercise is on top of that. You have heard of BMR and TDEE? BMR is what your body burns if you laid in bed all day and did not move (e.g., 1800 calories). Your TDEE is the total that you burn, and include "daily living activity calories" and will increase when you do exercise. My BMR is 1600 calories and my TDEE (without exercise) is 2300. That is 700 calories a day just for living :flowerforyou:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Try changing your MFP setting to lightly active or whatever they call it, and see how that goes.
    I think MFP is slightly misleading when they describe sedentary as a desk job--other places I've seen it include a few workouts a week.
    I still get a lot of calories added back by Fitbit even at the lightly active, and I don't usually eat them all back, so I understand where you're coming from on the "how is that possible?". But given how I'm losing, it seems to be at least roughly correct.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member

I weigh 135 pounds. According to my App, I burned 130 calories walking 3905 steps at work.( I don't wear it at home)

So 10,000 steps would be 325 calories just walking. MFP says 60 min o the elliptical for me would be 500 calories. So you could easily be burning 650 to 750 calories a day.

I don't get the exercise like I should so I only log my walking calories.... If you don't think it is right, You can just eat back half of what you burn.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I disabled the calorie estimation because it was giving me ridiculously high numbers with zero exercise. It's been accurate ever since.
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    I don't really eat the amount MFP tells me; I follow the Fitbit instead. I've found that when I enter the exercise on MFP, it over calculates the calorie burn.