I have trouble eating 1200 calories sometimes?

Options
So I have created a meal plan that if I follow through results in 1200-1500 calories a day. My goal is 1970 for 1 1/2 weight loss each week.

Last week I lost 6 pounds! However, some said that it was because I was eating too low and I was "starving myself."

Not once last week did I feel "starving." In fact, I felt satisfied all of the time.

Today I had a low day, no matter how much I ate, because my dinner was just made out of low ingredient foods. Besides the chicken and tiny bit of cheese, the broccoli, mushrooms, and artichokes have like no calories. I had 1100 calories worth today.

Is this really bad?

Note: On days I go to gym (today was a catch up and rest day), I tend to eat 1500ish calories. I just can't imagine eating a 600 calorie breakfast to get to 1970.

Note 2!: Also, on weekends, I always go over because the nature of the way my weekends go (lots of family events, etc.) Does it balance out??

Thanks!

Replies

• kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i personally think you're eating way too low for a male, and that it will eventually stall after a few weeks of the low eating. however, i'm not a nutritionist and if you're not hungry and are convinced it's going to work for you then more power to you! good luck

edit: i say this because i am a petite 5'2 girl that eats more than you do on a regular basis and loses
  • weightlossnoob
    Options
    I agree with you 100%! But it's just like I don't know how I can eat more calories because I eat the correct portions and the meals are generally well rounded?!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It could average out... and yes, I'm also 5'2" and eat way more than you. But I don't know what your day to day activity is to judge.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    try adding healthy higher calorie foods such as protein shakes, almond butter, natural peanut butter, raw nuts and avocado to your daily diet. i think you'll discover that you've been missing energy that you didn't even know you were missing!
  • weightlossnoob
    Options
    feel free to check out my diary, it should be open. Ignore weekends!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You are 22 yo male and you can't eat 1200? I have a hard time staying under 2300 and I am 37 yo female 5'6" 135 lbs.

First, ditch the low fat crap and eat more cheese than a "tiny" bit. Eat some peanut butter, almonds, avocado, eggs (with the yolk). What did you cut out? Add some of that back in. You can eat real food. Don't eat "diet" foods. It's not necessary. It's important to keep your calories at a decent level. How are you going to fuel workouts otherwise?
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    an extra punch of good calories could be Almond Butter.
    How about making a smoothie:
    if you put in a banana that's around 110 cals
    an apple is around 80 I think
    add almond butter you have over 100 there too and
    the more fruits you add the more you'll increase and it's easy
    to consume in a drink. Just be imaginative.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. While I'm at 1200 calories, and I'm doing perfectly fine with it. My meals are the same way: lean meats and a lot of veggies. I always feel full when I go to bed at night. I did figure out that if I eat breakfast before 8am, I tend to eat more during the day than if I wait till after 8am to eat breakfast.... I don't see the point in forcing yourself to eat. I never feel like I'm starving. Plus, my hubby makes sure that I eat plenty of food. I <3 food, so I could never starve myself. If you don't feel hungry don't eat. When you feel hungry, eat. That's how I look at it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%! But it's just like I don't know how I can eat more calories because I eat the correct portions and the meals are generally well rounded?!

1200 is way, way, way too low. Seriously dude.

Eat more. Eat whatever you ate to make you overweight in the first place. Pizza, ice cream, burgers, whatever. Doesn't matter. Hit your calorie goal.

And you're not even tracking protein? Protein is the most important macro.

1) Get 1g protein per lb of lean body mass.
    2) Lift weights.
    3) Eat a modest but not huge calorie deficit

The rest is basically irrelevant. But you need to do those things.
  • amandacook06
    Options
    Wow... I never thought anyone would have trouble eating 1200 calories! Anyways, after reviewing your diary I would like to suggest eating a piece of toast with jam or butter along side your cereal in the morning. Also, why not add a small sandwich at lunch (looks like all your eating for lunch is fruit...). Hope this helps!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while and just ended up feeling really ill. It got so bad that I was sweating buckets every time I tried to work out and had to stop every 5 minutes for a breather. I also kept thinking I might blackout as I was so light headed. I lost quite a lot of weight but I felt poorly and weak all the time.

It took a while to get my calorie intake up again but it was worth it as I feel so much better now and my workouts are more productive.

You need lots of good food and protein to build muscle to keep your metabolism working fast and burning fat even when you don't work out.
  • weightlossnoob
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help!!

I do lift weights a lot, however, I don't log them in because I lose track too easily.

I also always get nervous because I am always over sugar from fruits.. like 50-100 grams over, so should I worry about sugars at all?

I thought cheese was not good!
  • weightlossnoob
    Options
    Wow... I never thought anyone would have trouble eating 1200 calories! Anyways, after reviewing your diary I would like to suggest eating a piece of toast with jam or butter along side your cereal in the morning. Also, why not add a small sandwich at lunch (looks like all your eating for lunch is fruit...). Hope this helps!

Yea, today was a weird day. I normally eat food other than fruit for lunch. Today, I had a rushed day between school and then I had an incident at home, so today is not the best day to go by.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Lots of sugar and carbs in fruit. You need a varied diet that includes them but veggies are better
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    as others have said, peanut butter, avocado etc... i like cottage cheese as well. A good way to add in more calories, would be getting full fat yogurt, or milk. No need for fat free everything.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I'm not sure what kind of meal plan you're on... looks like you're putting together your own meals? I thought maybe you had meals delivered like diettogo.com or something. Like others, I am not a nutritionist. But I also feel that you are eating too few calories, especially for a 22 year old growing male. The biggest suggestion I would make is eat more protein and whole grains in your breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day (cliche I know, but true)... You need more fuel to start your day. Eat Oatmeal, or eggs or peanut butter on toast, protein bars or shakes... Personally I love oatmeal with peanut butter mixed in! Yum!

You gotta do what feels right to you... but I agree with others that the way your eating now may be dropping the pounds quickly... but it will most likely stall out eventually.

Good Luck!
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Man, your goal is 1970!?
    The things that I could do with those calories!
    That's half a pizza, AND a chicken sandwich. :(
    I'm so jealous of you boys. Lol.
    Edit to say that I know I didn't answer any of your questions, but duuuuuuuuuude.
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean your body isn't starving.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help!!

I do lift weights a lot, however, I don't log them in because I lose track too easily.

I also always get nervous because I am always over sugar from fruits.. like 50-100 grams over, so should I worry about sugars at all?

I thought cheese was not good!

If your sugars are coming from natural fruits, veggies and dairy... its not really a big deal if you're going over. But you do need a more balanced diet with fat and protein too... TRACK PROTEIN! I couldn't believe you weren't tracking that one!
  • weightlossnoob
    Options
    If your sugars are coming from natural fruits, veggies and dairy... its not really a big deal if you're going over. But you do need a more balanced diet with fat and protein too... TRACK PROTEIN! I couldn't believe you weren't tracking that one!

I have no clue what it is tracking on the website! All I know is that on the apps, I see all of the nutrients!