NSV: Tears

Options
ozigal
ozigal Posts: 173 Member
I posted this on my own status yesterday but since I am still a little shocked about it, I thought I would post it here.

With all my weight loss, I had managed to get down to only having one pair of trousers that I could wear and they were too big, I went to go and buy some new jeans yesterday.

When I started doing fitbit and MFP I was 110kg (242.5lbs) and I wore size 22-24 (UK) womens trousers which are US size 20-22. Yesterday I took 3 pairs of trousers into the change room with me a (UK) 20, 18 and 16. I figured maybe the 18 would fit. Anyway... I tried on the 20 and they were way too big. I tried on the 18 and they were still too big so I tried on the 16 and they fitted but they werent tight at all. I walked out of the change room and had a look in the mirror and they looked okay.

Walking back into the change room I just broke down. I spent 20 minutes in there crying. They werent happy tears. I think they were tears of disbelief and shock more than anything else but I am not actually sure. I couldnt stop crying. I've never been a particularly emotional person so breaking out crying like that is not normal.

Last night I went over to a friend's place and she looked at the jeans I was wearing and told me I should have tried on the 14's as she thinks the 16's are too loose. Crazy!!!

Anyone else had experiences like this? It's really disconcerting but sort of in a good way. I never expected to get emotional over buying a pair of jeans.

Replies

• janetfromthanet
    janetfromthanet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Reading what you have just written made me almost cry myself - CONGRATULATIONS - that is something I only dream about so well done and go back and try those 14's out. And think thin!!!! you are amazing!!!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Awwww *HUGS* I remember my joy and excitement at dropping a dress size. It's totally normal to get emotional because YOU did this! You're the one who put in all the effort and you're changing your life. Congratulations :D
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just looked at you picture and you look like a 14 to me! Really happy for you xx bet you can't wait for the summer!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful, and yes I can totally identify. I did the same with some tops in M&S just before Christmas, took three sizes in and ended up buying the smallest. I wanted to wear them inside out to show people after I had got over the shock :laugh: Trouble is I still don't really 'believe' I am that size, think it must have been a mistake on their part.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding one of my favourite clothes stores for years, since even their 20 was too small for me and they don't do anything bigger :-(. As I reached the weight I used to be when I was shopping there, I went to the shop to see if I could fit into my usual 16/18. They were too big! So, holding my breath, I bravely went for the 14. A size which I have never worn as an adult. A size I wouldn't have dreamt of trying on in that shop. And guess what? It fit!!!
    I know, it's a little sad, but I felt amazing! I never ever thought of myself as a 14, I am quite tall and have broad shoulders, so I wasn't even thinking I could be a 14.

I am not one for caring about what the tag says in the clothes that I wear, but boy, did that feel good. Just the plain fact that I could go shopping and just pick something off the rail, rather than having to fret about whether it will fit, is amazing.

You go girl, enjoy the victory, you should be very proud of what you achieved!!!
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I hope this NSV will put a swing in your walk..you earned it! Good for you!
    I recently went to buy new pants and was frustrated because I had no idea where to even start looking. Before my current weight loss, I didn't realize how big I was. And now that I'm smaller, all I see are the parts that still need work. Its like living in backwards land.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    fabulous and well done, you did it, you achieved a goal and it is very emotional to see for yourself that your hard work has/is paying off. For me I hit the big 4 0 last year and I decided to have a cocktail party and wanted to look fabulous. I went into a 'normal' shop and managed to get a dress in a UK 14 (I've since gained and lost, so around the 16/14 (UK) now).

Well done and be proud. x
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Going down 4 sizes probably is quite shocking. I have gone down only one size and have a hard time believing it myself . You deserve some new Jeans!
  • thickntired
    thickntired Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This made me smile. I'm so glad you experienced that. Its ok to be emotional over something that is a big life changer for you. You worked hard for where you are now and I'm sure there was a time you didn't think it would ever happen. Congrats to you hon. :-)
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration!:flowerforyou: That's awesome!! You should try the 14 ones...I am so happy for you..
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd go try another pair on in a 14s today :-) it is hard to wrap your head around, but this is wonderful! Be happy! X
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations.... :flowerforyou:
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congrats.. I can understand your feelings. Happened to me when I lost 1kg last week. Not a big deal, but my scale was never moving past 87 (past 8-9months) and that morning it showed 85. I was shocked. All the way till gym I was literally crying. Happens :) Keep up the good work n all the best :):flowerforyou:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started at almost the same weight as you and a similar size. I keep accidentally seeing myself in the mirror and getting a shock at how slim I look - once I realise it is me. I bought some of those bum lift & tummy tuck jeans a month or so ago and they are not doing the job they were bought for as they keep slipping down. It's a difficult adjustment to the mind, after so long but we'll get there...
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations!
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm always afraid to believe I've dropped a dress size. I always make excuses like...oh this shop always does their sizes a little bigger or if its a friends dress I'm borrowing I tell myself it only fits because she has wore it and washed it that much the material has slacked etc. I think we become afraid to believe that we are actually losing weight in case it turns we are wrong. But I think it's clear that you have done extremely well and definitely dropped a few dress sizes!!!! You've had your TA DA moment! Well done you!! xo.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That would be a yes. I have trouble handing over money for clothes.

All my life, I wanted to have my weight under control. Right before my 30th high school reunion, I met the goal of being in the normal BMI range...that would be the day before. So, I decided to buy some new jeans. I was wearing a size 12 with a belt which I had cut in an extra notch. I tried on an 8--too big. I tried on a 6, which I was never even in high school, and they fit perfectly. That was June 2012. And all of my old friends said, "Wow, Amy, you look the same!" Great big NSV with happy tears of joy. So that was June and I was a size 8 in dress clothes and a size 6 in jeans.

I hit the 100 lb club in July...It is now March 2013. I'm currently a size 4 in dress clothes and a 6 in jackets. Pants and skirts fit without extra "pulling it all together" garments. If someone had told me that I would have this much success with the one goal in my life that cause me so much pain, I would have told them that they were crazy.

I started at a tight size 24 (245 pounds) and currently a 4 (132 lbs). I have those crazy tears at least once a day. Sometimes I don't recognize me in mirrors. Here's why:

I can walk up stairs without being winded. I can walk without pain. I can stand up and sit down without concentrating on my knees buckling. I can eat "whatever" and not be stared at with disgust. But the biggest reason for my happy tears is when people listen to me talk without the stare that means "Geez she's a waste of air". That gets me every time.

There are other things that have happened as well--I'm an overachiever in my professional life. Now that people know that I have met the goal of getting my weight under control, my work goals seem to be met not with "she'll never make that" but with a "Certainly she has thought this through, and if she believes, I believe." I also know it only gets better from here.

Congratulations on your successes. It's a wonderful thing...Cherish the moments and keep it going! :) You will be great at this!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    oh thats really nice story for the morning. sounds like top shop will let you in now you have lost so much weight. very well done and i understand why you cried. you have done a fab job and i cant wait till i reach the same. xxx
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally normal to get emotional. You've lost, what, 4 sizes?? maybe 5? It's a HUGE accomplishement! but it's something that happens little by little everyday, so trying on these clothes just made it very real for you for the first time, and it's quite a big change to realize and accept. CONGRATS on your loss, you're doing great, and i hope you'll be making awesome new memories with your new jeans :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!