Anybody on the Atkins Diet?

Options

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    eat less + work out = lose weight...

Read "Good Calories Bad Calories". It opened my eyes to a lot of BS I've learned from dieting.

The calories in/calories out argument for weight loss is garbage.

so you are saying you can eat in a calorie surplus and lose weight? Please explain this magic to me....

Yes I want to hear this magic too?
  • jujuki47
    jujuki47 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just eliminate wheat and corn.... they are scary mutations from the 60s... blahhh. read "lose the wheat belly" it will scare you to death. and if you sub in flax meal and almond meal recipes you add so many good things like omega 3s and fiber...and thewn count calories. I started on atkins and lost 7 lbs but darnit I need some breads! so I learned new ways to have them in very low carb #s...

This is my first week on here:love:
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's great short term if you need a jump start. Sometimes a little motivation gets the momentum going. :smile:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Fewer carbs and more fat and protein make me feel fuller. I do 40fat/30carb/30protein. This is a lot lower than MFP or nutritional guidelines would suggest, but not nearly as low as atkins. I lost weight very easily on this, because I was satisfied (not hungry) on the calorie deficit. You do have to count for a while at least, especially with high fat, because if you eat a similar portion size without really thinking about hunger, you will eat many more calories. You have to eat very slowly at first and get a feel for how much you eat to be full.

If you are satisfied on a calorie deficit with the macros that you are consuming, I wouldn't mess with it. If you are hungry/binging/etc, increase protein and lower carbs a little at a time. Make sure you get enough fat too.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins quite a long time ago. Weight poured off, but even though I tried to include lots of veggies (to try to get at least some fiber) I had digestive problems and rather nasty bowel movements far too often to make it worth it.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.

Atkins is not a 20 grams of carb a day diet, that's only a 2 week period called induction. If you have a good deal of weight to lose you can stay at 20 grams a couple of months but it's then strongly suggested you start adding more veggies, fruits etc (you follow a list) back in small increments and find your personal carb level.

I've been around 25% - 30% carbs lately and still losing, but slower since I have 5 - 10 to go. Hardly unsustainable, unless maybe you're only taking in 1200 cals. My average net is about1525.

Can you eat unlimited calories? No. You eat 4 - 6oz of protein a meal, non-starchy carbs til later rungs, a lot of good fats. When you up carbs you drop fats.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Dr. Atkins is DEAD. Heart Attack. Hmmm...

Don't believe everything you hear hmm...

Agree with Pu

"On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. He lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, where he spent two weeks in intensive care. His body deteriorated rapidly and he suffered massive organ failure. During this time, his body apparently retained an enormous amount of fluid, and his weight at death was recorded at 258 pounds (He was admited to hospital at 195lbs). His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma"."
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I tried the atkins diet several years ago. I did pretty good on it for the first 3 months but then started to get sick trying to follow the plan. I've seen others do very very well on it.
  • dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Atkins is very similar to paleo. People who say atkins is not sustainable do not know more than phase 1. It is actually very sustainable for people who want to eat healthy and make smart food choices. I am following atkins/paleo. I love it. It's the only way Incan lose weight without feeling like I am starving. Me and refined carbs don't mix. Every time I eat any bread or pasta or rice( and I am talking about the healthy whole grain ) I get reactive hypoglycemia, not good at all, so I eat veggies, fruit, protein and fats.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Read "Good Calories Bad Calories". It opened my eyes to a lot of BS I've learned from dieting.

so you are saying you can eat in a calorie surplus and lose weight? Please explain this magic to me....

I am still waiting on the miraculous explanation as to how one can eat MORE than you take in and still lose....
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I am still waiting on the miraculous explanation as to how one can eat MORE than you take in and still lose....

Me too. Got my popcorn ready :drinker:
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    Anybody on the Atkins diet and losing weight? Is it really true that you dont need to count calories? Whats your opinion?

Yes you still need to count calories. Most people make huge drop in weight because they lose the carbs and lose the water weight that comes with it. At the end of the day it's still calories in verse calories out.

I have bulked up ie gained weight on a low/no carb diet.

Just always keep in mind calories determine weight loss or gain and your macro-nutrient breakdown and food choices will dictate body composition. You can lose weight eating only twinkies if you want but your body composition will suffer lol
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options

Me too. Got my popcorn ready :drinker:

people get confused because of the scale and how full they feel. When I "bulked" on a no car diet it seemed I could eat more because I was holding so little water so the scale didn't move as much. When I bulk on a 500-800 carb diet my weight skyrockets 15-25 pounds from the water weight. It confuses people I really think that is the explanation.

Most don't realize how much glycogen stores play a role in weight. When I get up to 280 or 290 my weight will fluctuate 8-14 pounds a day due to glycogen stores and water intake. That is an extreme example but when a 160 pound women suddenly drops all her carbs and loses 6 pounds she thinks "OMG this is the same amount of calories I ate with carbs and I just lost 6 pounds of fat". In reality their glycogen stores are depleted and the water is gone making them look leaner and the scale go down.
  • Robnutz01
    Robnutz01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have started a keto diet 2 weeks ago and so far am pretty happy with it, I've lost 5 kgs (mostly water weight) and have been cycling 3 x a week. If i feel this good / better in a few months, I could see myself staying on it into the future. Admittedly I want to increase vegetable + fruit consumption over time, but for now I am sticking around 20 - 30 carbs a day, and i never feel hungry. Good luck :)
  • JSaltsea
    JSaltsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The amount of unknown and misconception about low carb diets is scary, even in a community like MFP. There's a huge amount of people who follow a low-carb diet and maintain it properly without having any problem doing so. Hubby and I been doing ketogenic for a year now and we're perfectly happy continuing this way. Get all your fact straights before beginning any life-changing food lifestyle.

Truths:

You WILL regain all the weight you've lost if you go back to eating the way you got fat in the first place.

You HAVE to count your calories, without a deficit you will not lose no matter what you're eating.
  • Goshencooks
    Goshencooks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lean towards the Atkins diet but that's not really what I do. I try to leave carbs alone and I eat a lot of protein and drink a lot of water. Too much of the wrong protien can cause cholesterol problems so you have to watch the type of protein you are getting. I don't believe in the diet shakes or protein drinks because that is not what you are going to do the rest of your life. Good luck!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Housewives from the 1980's?
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i tried it just gave me athritis lol theres good carbs and bad carbs ,,just try eating healthy like elimintae all whites instead of white rice go for brown rice,, white sugar go for cocosugar..... everything should be in balance..
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did Atkins about 6 years ago - I lost 40 lbs, my husband lost over 60. But slowly over a year or two we gained the weight back as we just weren't as strick with the low/no carbs over time. While it works well initially, it wasnt realistic for us. Your basically cutting out 85-90% of most carbohydrates and I don't think its practical for long term. I believe eating/sticking to a "healthy" well rounded diet is the key. Also, by being able to eat carbs/good carbs, you aren't always craving them, and wishing you could have them... Dont take this as gospel, as many people do incorporate a lower carb diet into their routine, and it works out just fine. Just be sure to look at all aspects of your life, your eating habits, and what you are willing to and/or cabable of sticking to for the long term. Good luck!