How important are macro-nutrients for weight loss?

Options
I know macros are important to watch for overall health, but how important are they for weight loss? I've heard so many times that the weight loss part of it is simply calories in vs. calories out, & that the macros are mainly for health reasons. Is this true?

Replies

• stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Higher protein diets help with greater retention of lean mass
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I have a difficult time losing pounds if I don't keep my carbs relatively low. I spent May, June and July losing and gaining the same 5 pounds while simply keeping my calories within goal. It wasn't until August when I started keeping my carbs under 80 grams per day (and some days as low as 30 grams) that I was able to shed the last 8 pounds.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out.

But if you want to be healthy, then yes, the macros are important.

That being said, if you eat whole foods as opposed to high fat processed foods, you actually get to eat more for the same amount of calories.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Higher protein diets help with greater retention of lean mass

Above.

For me, I have a lot of lean muscle, and I workout heavily, and lift heavy. I usually aim for about 700 cal or more exercise cal a day, 6 days a week. (cardio and resistance training)

I am close to my goal weight, and I find if I do not keep my protein levels higher, fat and inch loss slows. I also find I do not improve in my reps, and weight lifting ranges. Even when I was heavier, if my protein was to low, weight loss stalled.

If you go to low on carbs, you may find you have no energy to finish workouts. So have enough for your needs.

A certain amount of fat is needed in ones diet for healthy skin, connective tissues, body function etc. But I do not watch this to tightly, as long as I meet my minimum, I am fine. Overs not really a big deal, as usually I am not much over consistently, everyday.

I do not eat all clean, or all whole foods. I do not ban any food. But I try to choose more nutrient dense foods, so I can meet my macro goals (for me thats 40/30/30)

But I still eat processed foods. some junk foods, within reason, moderation, etc. Just stay within my cal goals, which is key to fat loss.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I want to be healthy overall, but was wanting to know just how much I should be making sure I don't go into the red on the macros. Last night I snacked a lot, & ended up going over fat, sodium, & sugar. I tend to get OCD about being "in the red" on any #'s (besides protein & fiber), so I was pretty much wanting to just feel better about it. I don't usually look at those numbers much, but need to start!
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating whatever I wanted but staying under my calorie goal. I wasn't satisfied though and always hungry. Now that I am eating better quality foods I am stuffed and still under my calorie goals. And I am still losing. I hope this helps.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

That being said, if you eat whole foods as opposed to high fat processed foods, you actually get to eat more for the same amount of calories.

Basically yes. The calorie deficits determines how much you lose. The macros determine what you lose.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I want to be healthy overall, but was wanting to know just how much I should be making sure I don't go into the red on the macros. Last night I snacked a lot, & ended up going over fat, sodium, & sugar. I tend to get OCD about being "in the red" on any #'s (besides protein & fiber), so I was pretty much wanting to just feel better about it. I don't usually look at those numbers much, but need to start!
    If the macros in MFP's goals for you don't work for you, change them. 15% protein is far too low for me, and the carb allotment is too high, so I've adjusted them. I also don't like seeing things "in the red" and have no desire to try to ignore that every day so mine are set to my liking. As long as your sugar is of the natural kind from fruit, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sodium, however, in MFP is actually set too high, so you'll want to be careful you don't go over too often.
  • gotlouis
    gotlouis Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Basically yes. The calorie deficits determines how much you lose. The macros determine what you lose.

THIS.