Same request for help please!

Options
Hi, I know this question gets asked a lot, I have read all the posts about the same thing, put all the right things in place but I just can't shift any weight!

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 140lb
Goal: 133lb
BMR: 1393
TDEE: 2183
TDEE-20%: 1746

Ok, I started at the beginning of January to try and shift the half a stone that is bugging me and making my clothes tight and uncoomfortable. I found MFP and started with 1200 calories and eating back excercise calories. I was starving, grumpy and getting lethargic.

I had seen the 'roadmap' thread and had passed over it a few times due to it being so long! But i finally got round to reading it, did the calculations as above and started eating at 1746 (ish) a month ago. I had lost 3 lbs doing the 1200 but I knew I couldnt sustain it, I was grumpy and I had stalled. That was an initial weight loss within the first 2 weeks, then nothing since. So, I hit 140 by the end of Jan and stayed there ever since.

I go to the gym 4 times a week, partly cardio and partly a circuit on the weight machines. I do have a desk job, however when I'm not at work I dont tend to stop moving! Washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning, dog walking etc. It all needs to be done and is done by me! I only tend to see the living room on a Sat and Sun evening when as you will see from my diary, I have the odd glass of wine!

I have reset my macros and eat 40;30;30 carbs:protein:fat.

I have opened my diary as I know you are all going to ask!

Please help, I know it is only 7 lbs I want to lose, but I want to lose them. I can feel the excess weight on my body and I dont like it!

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I made all of these changes over a month ago, therefore waited before I asked for help as I know one of the answers is to give it time. Hopefully I have given it enough time!

Many thanks for any replies :)

Replies

• sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump, please? :blushing:
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wish I could help....bumping! Will keep an eye one this thread, be interested to see replies. in the meantime, best of luck!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You and I are in a similar situation. I am 5'7" and just hit the 140 mark on my way to my goal of 135. I've been loosing about a pound a week. I took a quick look at your food and you make good choices. The only difference I see between our food intake is that I am ALWAYS way over in protein. You seem to be under many days.

I am no fitness or weight loss expert by any means, but thought I'd offer my $0.02.:wink:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was following the 5:2 routine (which for you would be 500 cals on 2 non-consecutive days in the week, your TDEE on the other 5 days).

If you don't fancy the sound of that perhaps mixing up your exercise routine might help?
    I find my workouts are much more focussed when I split my cardio and strength training completely, so for you purely cardio two days, purely strength training the other two days.

For your cardio maybe make one session low intensity and the other high intensity as there are different benefits to both styles of training.

Wish you luck!!
  • sullycc
    Options
    Jfauci

Hi, thanks for the input!

Can I ask how many calories you are consuming?

I just about manage to hit my protein most days, it is only when I add the excercise it goes under. I add the excercise for me to keep my own track on it, not to eat the calories back as I am doing the TDee-20% it is already included.

Any chance I can have a look at your diary?
  • sullycc
    Options
    What worked for me was following the 5:2 routine (which for you would be 500 cals on 2 non-consecutive days in the week, your TDEE on the other 5 days).

If you don't fancy the sound of that perhaps mixing up your exercise routine might help?
    I find my workouts are much more focussed when I split my cardio and strength training completely, so for you purely cardio two days, purely strength training the other two days.

For your cardio maybe make one session low intensity and the other high intensity as there are different benefits to both styles of training.

Wish you luck!!

I never thought about the exercise, I have 2 different routines at the gym, set by the instructors, but these are just to work/rest muscle groups rather than split cardio and weights. I may well give this a try, thanks :smile:
  • nikitu5
    nikitu5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    Here's some ideas. Try not to mix so many items in one meal.
    Eat the yogurt separately from your lunch. Also, eat the fruits separately and before lunch (at least 30 minutes)
    Don't mix any kind of fats with carbs, the egg smoked salmon and bread combination - not a good mix especially as dinner.
    You don't really need to eat those biscuits :) They are not helping you.
    Try to reduce calories as well.

Good luck!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    Here's some ideas. Try not to mix so many items in one meal.
    Eat the yogurt separately from your lunch. Also, eat the fruits separately and before lunch (at least 30 minutes)
    Don't mix any kind of fats with carbs, the egg smoked salmon and bread combination - not a good mix especially as dinner.

Um, can I ask what the logic behind this might be?

ETA: I would agree with changing up your exercise occasionally, maybe incorporating more weights; I know you mentioned doing resistance training, but I'm not sure exactly what/how much you do. And you might just need to give it more time. I know you waited a month, but I've seen other threads where people mention not seeing loss for 6 weeks or so after upping their cals. My only other thought is have you been taking measurements? I've been plateaued on the scale for a couple months now, but I'm still losing inches slowly.
  • nikitu5
    nikitu5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Both carbs and fats are sources of energy, in different ways, but if you eat them together one will end up being deposited.
    Especially at dinner when you metabolism is already slowing down because you're about to go sleep. So don't go to sleep with a full stomach is also a good idea.
    Mixing too many foods in the same meal will make it hard for you body to process them, that's why the dissociated diet works. You don't have to completely avoid associating foods but have vegetables with meat, and eat the dairy separately.
    Fruits digest the fastest and tend to ferment, thus making you feel rather sick if you mix them with other heavy food.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you are me!

Except I'm at 148 (150 this morning :( ) and trying to get to 140!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Both carbs and fats are sources of energy, in different ways, but if you eat them together one will end up being deposited.
    Especially at dinner when you metabolism is already slowing down because you're about to go sleep. So don't go to sleep with a full stomach is also a good idea.
    Mixing too many foods in the same meal will make it hard for you body to process them, that's why the dissociated diet works. You don't have to completely avoid associating foods but have vegetables with meat, and eat the dairy separately.
    Fruits digest the fastest and tend to ferment, thus making you feel rather sick if you mix them with other heavy food.

As I have been on mfp a long time, your post is seriously the first I have heard of this diet. So I did what everyone does now, googled it. Below is what I read about this diet. Um, given that the long term effects are nutritional problems and weakness, that does not sound like a healthy diet. I have never heard a single doctor or nutritionist recommend this diet (and I have worked with many dieticians and nutritionists in my line of work). I would be careful of this diet.

"The dissociated diet is based on the fact that only one type of food consumed per day does not cause weight gain. Every day you should eat a food such as meat, fish, vegetables, dairy products, eggs or fruit.
    The main idea is that you feel full faster if you eat only one type of food. If you eat different foods, the appetite can be stimulated.

Advantages and Disadvantages of the Dissociated Diet

The advantage of this diet is that weight loss is decoupled completely clear, due to lack of variety in the diets for weight loss leading to reduced appetite.

The disadvantage is that long term, this diet can cause nutritional problems and weakness. Although this may seem balanced diet, muscles and organs can be weakened during the days of fruits and vegetables, due to lack of protein.

Those who follow this diet coupled may also suffer from fatigue and regain weight after completing the diet. The dissociated diet has no scientific basis and is not recommended for active people or children. For children, this diet may slow its growth."
  • sullycc
    Options

As I have been on mfp a long time, your post is seriously the first I have heard of this diet. So I did what everyone does now, googled it. Below is what I read about this diet. Um, given that the long term effects are nutritional problems and weakness, that does not sound like a healthy diet. I have never heard a single doctor or nutritionist recommend this diet (and I have worked with many dieticians and nutritionists in my line of work). I would be careful of this diet.

"The dissociated diet is based on the fact that only one type of food consumed per day does not cause weight gain. Every day you should eat a food such as meat, fish, vegetables, dairy products, eggs or fruit.
    The main idea is that you feel full faster if you eat only one type of food. If you eat different foods, the appetite can be stimulated.

Advantages and Disadvantages of the Dissociated Diet

The advantage of this diet is that weight loss is decoupled completely clear, due to lack of variety in the diets for weight loss leading to reduced appetite.

The disadvantage is that long term, this diet can cause nutritional problems and weakness. Although this may seem balanced diet, muscles and organs can be weakened during the days of fruits and vegetables, due to lack of protein.

Those who follow this diet coupled may also suffer from fatigue and regain weight after completing the diet. The dissociated diet has no scientific basis and is not recommended for active people or children. For children, this diet may slow its growth."
    Thank you for looking into this! I was wondering how on earth I am going to split the food. I prefer to think I am eating healhily rather than on a diet, lol. One of the other reasons is I do not intend to cook different meals at night, one for me and one for other half and my son. As I am at the moment we all eat the same thing which keeps me happy and the rest of them healthy! As long as there isnt anything detrimentally wrong with what I eat (apart from too many digestive biscuits) then phew! I will keep on doing what I am doing, perhaps change the exercise up a bit and see if I can get these scales moving!

Thank you for the replies so far
  • Django1977
    Options
    Hey there,

do you tried out a scin caliper measurement?

Could it maybee that you build muscle and burned fat? You are going 4 times !! per week to the gym. I would say you got 200 - 300 gramms of muscle out there per month. 8-). Could that be? How you look in the mirror? More muscular? About the weight --- you can easily weight 3 kg more than at the morning only by drinking 3 litres of pure water? So look in the mirror and tell us if you find you look more muscular ...

You are in the right way not to starve yourself.

Cheers
  • windyrobotham
    windyrobotham Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and weigh just a little more than you. The one thing that stands out to me is you mentioned you have a desk job but do all the household chores. I have an active job
    , on my feet walking and lifting all day and am also responsible for all the household chores. My goal calories are only 1610 and i'm seeing great results so far. I think you need to dial back your calories. Just a little.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure what body type you are...this is what I do to jump start if I've hit a plateau. I eat the same thing for 3 or 4 days in a row.

Breakfast 1/2 grapefruit and 1c oatmeal.
    Snack 1/2 can of tuna and 1c of greens.
    Lunch 3oz chicken 1/2 sweet potatoe and 1c greens.
    Snack 1/2 can tuna 1c greens.
    Dinner fish 1/2 sweet potato and 1c greens.
    Snack 1/2 grapefruit and berries.

And I do moderate cardio during those days. It usually sets my metabolism on fire and kick starts my weight loss again
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a scale and measure free-pouring liquids?

I think that trying to separate out the types of food as mentioned above is completely unnecessary, I wouldn't do it.

Check out this group; it is run by very knowledgeable people:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • sullycc
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a scale and measure free-pouring liquids?

I think that trying to separate out the types of food as mentioned above is completely unnecessary, I wouldn't do it.

Check out this group; it is run by very knowledgeable people:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    Yes, I weigh and measure everything! I will have a look at the link, thanks
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Are you seeing a difference in your body? Measurement wise, do your clothes fit differently?
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight when you are near your goal or don't have a lot to lose. I would suggest (just from my own experience) that you decrease your calories to a happy medium and see what happens for a couple of weeks. Perhaps try about 1400 or 1450 a day? Also make sure that you are weighing and measuring accurately--most people underestimate what they are eating unless they measure. When you are not eating a lot of calories, being off by 30 calories here and there can add up. Good luck keep us posted.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I feel for you because the last 10lbs for me is being a bit brutal to take off as well. Ok, I will start this by saying that I know that this is not for everyone, but it has worked to break me free from plateaus through the last year. I found that when I consistently ate at low calories I would stick at the exact same weightt no matter how much I increased my exercise so I started to stagger my calories. I would eat at around 1,500 normally and then would do a 1,950 day followed by a 1,250 day twice a week and then go back to my 1,500. I also looked into whether or not I was pushing myself hard enough during cardio because I was doing circuit alot, but I was doing the same circuit and when I got the HRM I was not working as hard as I thought. Lately I have started running and the pounds are coming off again so it may work for you too if you switch up what workouts you do. Good luck in losing this last weight!