Support

Options
Hi guys,

I've been a member of mfp for a while but find myself not logging in for weeks on end and losing track of my diet etc. I have lost a substantial amount of weight in the past few months and im back to get the ball rolling again! I find the best thing that motivates me is hearing everyones weight loss stories, tips, journeys etc because it proves that we can lose weight no matter how hard it is!

Does anyone have any weight loss tips? excersize tips etc? I swim as much as possible and walk everyday but find myself getting bored of the same routine. As for my diet I have tried so many fad diets that have worked for about a month but find the best thing is to have a low calorie/healthy diet and it seems to be doing the trick for the moment, what do you guys do in terms of a diet plan?

Also, because im quite new to this (well I havent been on it much since I joined) I have very little friends so please feel free to add me, I'd love to hear your stories!

Replies

• Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Just passing.....lol

I hit goal last month and wrestling with Maintenance,
    Have great bunch of friends who have open diaries, log every day and support and encourage each other.

Anyone can add if they feel I can support and encourage as well as have a load of fun in what is a serious journey!!
  • mhernandez1976
    mhernandez1976 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'am 3 weeks out from my goal date of a 100lbs weight loss and at the last 15 lbs for that . I personal make working out part of my daily routine i make it a point to do it. If I dont i feel as if I cheated myself. While walking and swimming are good you want to add resistance training(weights) not heavy but something(maybe 20 min), this will also help to change things up, simply cause you want to add lean muscle as you loose weight, by doing this you will speed meatoblism up and also burn fat calories for up to 36hrs after workout cause your body will be burning those calories while making muscle, you also want to make sure you get enough protein because this is what is needed to build muscle. I very good and supportive friend told me that "Disciple is doing the things you do not want to do", I use this as my motto and have it written in black marker on post it notes all over at home and work. remember everyone slips, and you just need to brush it off and get back on the horse. I have found taking pictures once a month helps because you can see your progress, cause a scale will not also be so "truthful cause as you loose fat and replace it with muscle you may not see it on the scale, but you will see it in the picture, If you ever need a word of encouragement or motivation just ask. you are on your way which is the most important thing, and KEEP THE GOOD WORK UP.
  • WandaWreckonwith
    Options
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine... I use mfp as a tool to track calories and exercise, but really haven't started to check out the community portion until this week (even though I've been on here for quite some time), I think I'm ready for that step. I'm hoping if I start joining in on conversations on here, it will hold me more accountable.
  • Neilyd
    Neilyd Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello.

Just downloaded mfp last week, I need to keep a food diary as per dietician's instructions. Love this iPad app, it has such a large data base. I'm in the UK & it's got all our brands covered.

Only a week & half in on what will I'm sure be a long but fruitful journey, I'm looking forward to using the community benefits on here more.

So onwards & upwards, love this program - can't believe it's free!
  • RemiLynn79
    RemiLynn79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just bought 3 new exercise videos to mix it up. Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds is a great series, I also bought a hip hop and a belly dance video. I have not done those yet, they were $10 at Wal-Mart. I thought I would give them a try. Maybe it will teach me some dance moves, as I have none. :laugh:
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My first tip to offer you is that you aren't on a diet. You are making a lifestyle change to living a healthier life. I wouldn't look at it as for the next six weeks or the next six month's I am going to loose the weight. You have to change that way of thinking. The changes you are making will have to continue for your entire life. You will be constantly tweaking what you are doing, but you will always need to be thinking what you do effects your health.

Start out with realistic goals on what you will be eating and exercising. As you progress, you can start making adjustments as you loose the weight and start feeling healthier. Once you get to the point in your life where you feel good about yourself, the goal is finding a balance between eating and exercising that will allow you to enjoy life and keep you where you are at.

If you think of it as a diet, you will always end up back at where you stated.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You have to keep your exercise interesting to keep yourself motivated. For cardio, I sign up for various races so that I have incentive to keep running. I know that I have paid money to participate,so I don't want to waste it. Try finding a fitness buddy if you can. It helps a lot if you can get someone to help keep you accountable, plus exercise is more fun with someone else. Swimming is a great workout, and should be continued, but you should consider adding resistance training to your routine. There are a lot of benefits, not the least of which is that additional muscle mass increases the rate of fat burning. Good luck and feel free to add me.