Goat cheese! What do do with it?

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Sautee up some vegetables, smear goat cheese in a wrap/tortilla, add sauteed vegetables, stuff into mouth. Also, sear/grill a chicken breast and throw some goat cheese on top. Dammit, now I'm hungry.
  • amystpierre
    amystpierre Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great on eggs!!!
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make something I call Goat Cheese Pasta which is really delicious:

Saute a finely chopped onion and 3 - 8 cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicy you like your sauce)

Add - I can of vegetable broth, I can of Diced tomatoes, and one cup of dry white wine and let the sauce reduce for about 30 minutes (or until the alcohol cooks out of the sauce). Stir in whatever spices you want (I usually use Parsley, Oregano, Basil and Black Pepper).

Throw in a bag of baby spinach and let it wilt for about 5 minutes.

Remove sauce from heat then stir in about a half a log (or more or less according to your taste), the sauce turns pink like a vodka sauce and thickens up.

I usually serve over whole wheat angel hair pasta.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    From my exeperiences, the fastest way to destroy goat cheese is to put it in the microwave. It smells like a melted tire, and that throws off the taste.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Grilled peaches with goat cheese and a honey drizzle

Beet salad (arugula, sliced almonds, sliced beets) - crumbled goat cheese on top with balsamic
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I could just eat it by the spoonful, I love it. Add to some scrambled eggs along with sauteed spinach, onions, and kalamata olives. Heavenly.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I love to add goat cheese and tomatoes to couscous and eat it hot or refrigerate and eat it like you would a cold pasta salad!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i'm allergic so i don't do anything with it but it is great pinched off into a spinach salad, amazing with roasted beets, stuffed into figs, basically anything savory with a sweet side can be a nice accompaniment to to goat cheese.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I bake chicken with a light mushroom sauce (half can light cream of mushroom) add some peppers and julienned carrots and turnip and zuchinni on the side and sprinkle the goat cheese on top of the chicken and yumyum!!!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    watermelon, tomato, goat cheese & chili salad
    http://thekitchykitchen.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/watermelon-tomato-salad.html

crispy fried goat cheese (sorry, I have to light up a smoke and recover after this one)
    http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2010/12/23/crispy-fried-goat-cheese

Chipotle Butternut Squash, Black Beans, and Goat Cheese Tostadas
    http://naturallyella.com/2012/09/28/chipotle-butternut-squash-black-beans-and-goat-cheese-tostadas
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am such a goat cheese fanatic! I have an entire cook book about goat cheese. There are so many different types you can purchase (goat gouda, goat mozzarella, crumbled goat, goat blue, hard and soft types, etc.) There are tons of recipes out there for both the hard and soft types. (Think mac and cheese with the hard type.) Personally, I love it on salads, on grilled cheeses, with grilled vegetables, and sprinkled on a pizza. One of the easiest things to do is to make crepes for dinner. It only requires your stovetop and microwave really. The recipe below mentions an oven but that's really to keep them warm and caramelize everything a little. Very easy to make!

Goat Cheese Crepes: http://articles.philly.com/2009-09-17/food/24986812_1_goat-cheese-grams-batter
    Black Bean, Goat Cheese Tacos: http://naturallyella.com/2012/06/06/spiced-black-bean-grilled-avocado-and-goat-cheese-tacos/
    Zucchini Goat Cheese Roll Ups: http://www.shutterbean.com/2012/grilled-zucchini-roll-ups/
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I make turkey, spinach and goats cheese burgers with minced turkey. Serve between 2 portabello mushrooms instead of a bun.

Below picture is with sweet potato fries and asparagus.

370ecef7-6ae1-46ee-a451-d441f1856a48_zps03831b79.jpg
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatoes, red onions, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper on top of a grilled chicken breast and mixed greens. Topped with goat cheese, of course.

tNbnYvk.jpg?1
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - Locate garbage can
    Step 2 - Deposit goat cheese into said garbage can
    Step 3 - Remove bag liner with said goat cheese
    Step 4 - Burn said bag liner
    Step 5 - Go to store and purchase better cheese

Easy to follow plan, good luck! :drinker:
  • leigh0416
    leigh0416 Posts: 29
    Options
    I use it on an egg white pita for breakfast or lunch sometimes. You just put the scrambled egg whites inside the pita and top with goat cheese and roma tomato, with a side of melon...yummy lunch or breakfast for me!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Please don't insist on posting things like this on boards. She's asking for ideas, not opinions. Create an "I Hate Goat Cheese" board if you want.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Please don't insist on posting things like this on boards. She's asking for ideas, not opinions. Create an "I Hate Goat Cheese" board if you want.

In all fairness, that IS my idea of what to do with it. I wasn't mean or snarky.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You can make easy lasagna with goat cheese. I prefer Italian chicken sausage, pasta and arrabiata sauce and melt the goat cheese.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You can make easy lasagna with goat cheese. I prefer Italian chicken sausage, pasta and arrabiata sauce and melt the goat cheese.

mmm
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like it just spread on good crackers
    I have made grilled cheese sandwiches with it, add some fresh spinach and tomato
    Stuffed into chicken breasts and grilled or baked