I want to start running, but...

Options

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    re: Couch to 5K -- If you HATE running, this will make you LOVE it. (Unless you will just hate it no matter what. LOL.) It is really easy to follow. You just do what it says.

I believe this is the original site:
    http://www.c25k.com

I love the NHS site and the podcast is excellent. (However, don't land on the heel of your foot, which I think they advise. You are supposed to land near your pinky toe and roll to the ball of your foot then your heal lightly touches the ground. Others recommend landing mid-foot. That is just one correction I would make to the series.)
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The MFP group is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday of this week.

Get yourself fitted for some proper shoes, get a good sports bra and get the c25k app on your phone/ipod

That is all you need... oh and the motivation :)
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm another one of those who never thought I could run. Followed C25K two years ago, and now I'm hooked! I will also say that I have RA, so major joint problems, and my knees feel BETTER if I run on regular basis.

Also, agree with everyone saying you should go to a local running store and get well fitting running shoes.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    I love the C25K app... I have one on my phone and one on my ipod.

Ultimately, just go run. Start slow with a jog and once you feel comfortable increase your pace. Make sure you have good shoes ... they don't have to be super expensive, they just need to be supportive.

I may be mistaken but I believe some Running Rooms have learn to run classes or groups. That may help. If you go to a gym maybe do one session with a personal trainer to have them help you learn proper form.

Or just go outside and pretend a gigantic dog is running after you :)
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started running last year. I used the RunDouble Couch-2-5k phone app. It eases you into being a runner. If your ankle and toe are having regular issues - it could easily be your shoes if you didn't have a pre-existing condition. I had a bad sprain in high school and still roll my right ankle pretty hard, so I went to two running stores for a gait analysis. They watch you run and suggest shoes based on how your foot/ankle lands when you run. Since my foot pronates (rolls slightly out) I use a shoes with stability built in to correct that and keep my leg muscles from overstressing. I also have a high arch and use a wide width running shoe to accomodate it.

Since starting running May 2012, I've done about 10 5k events and two half marathons. I've got a dozen events I'm doing this year, including three half marathons and a 200 mile relay. You can do it, the first step is just getting out there regularly instead of just wishing you could do it. Most days I did not want to run, but I made myself commit to an every other day program and am so happy I did!
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I dont like running cuz my boobs bounce too much!!

I have that same problem, so I wear 2 sports bras.

same
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I can't agree more - Couch to 5K is a phenomenal app!!! You can even google 'couch to 5k' and get a print out, in case you don't have a smart phone.

I'm finishing up week 3 and just signed up for my first 5k on Mother's Day!!! Can't say enough about C25K!

I don't have a smart phone, so I downloaded the NHS C25K podcast to my MP3 player - works great for me.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    C25k. All the way

Also, go to your local running store and be properly fitted for shoes. They will give yo all the advice you need!

Go for it though, you'll never look back

This and this!! Seriously, I'm kinda a half hearted runner... So much so I didn't see the point of buying running shoes so I would run in my cross trainers... well I went to a New Balance store (next time I will go to a running shop but I had a New Balance gift card from Christmas) and got fitted for shoes, lo and behold I also had a high arch... anyway, running in cross trainers would give me shin splints that would last days... but my running shoes, with proper arch support... I can feel them while running, but they are not even close to as severe nor do they hurt even an hour later.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k totally! I was like you and didn't really know where to start. I was thinking I could just start running on my own and granted I could have but when I would run I didn't really know what goals to set or how I should be progressing. The C25K training totally took all that guesswork out of the equation! When I first started I was having a hard time running for 3 minutes straight, now I'm running 28 minutes straight and feeling great!!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    C25K

C25K

C25K

C25K

And if none of those work for you, try C25K.

I just have one thing to add to that comment....

C25K

oh yeah - Couch 2 5K also...
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would run in my cross trainers.

If you have normal arches, you should be able to run in cross trainers up to 5K. After that, you really need a shoe designed for running. I will switch off between my cross trainers and running shoes. I figure I can do okay with cross trainers until I start getting into longer runs.
  • barbiedollgirl
    barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump! So glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing! :) All this info really helped.
  • TallishTom
    TallishTom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do some leg strengthening most running injuries are down to weakness in the legs.

Try standing on one leg and see how long you last. If you can't last 30s without a lot of wobbling you need to take care.

Squats, one leg squats (learn against a fit ball against a wall), lunges, stepping up and down onto a bench - all good to help with this.

Good luck, running is brilliant fun and great exercise.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and I just went out and did it one day. I'm starting to enjoy it a little more and more but it takes practice. Good music certainly helps me!! Just get out there and do it!! =)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Don't run like this:

tumblr_mjzi1nm3UB1qm8lnwo6_250.gif

The couch to 5k program basically has you run-walk and gradually switch towards more running and less walking. You can google it and then work on it at your own pace. Go as slow as you have to, and give yourself some time to rest between runs--it can be hard on your joints at first.

In addition to what people have already said, I would suggest having an experienced runner (such as someone at a running store) give you some gentle suggestions on how to improve your form. I see a lot of joggers on the street who run hunched over, or with one shoulder raised, arms flailing and their feet slapping on the ground... Now, there is some debate as to whether form matters. But I prefer to err on the side of caution and do as much as possible to minimize the risk of injury.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just run.

I assume you have sneakers already...

I didnt start c25k until id been moving my *kitten* for almost 2 months.
    i was probably doing everything "wrong" but I didnt want to be so overwhelmed by the "program" that I might quit.

Now Im on week 5 and i repeat weeks until they become... not impossible...

Good luck
  • EyeOnThePrize82
    Options
    I just started too. I'm using Podrunner for my C25K. Its got house music and a chime that tells you to switch between walking and running.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    As others have said, get the C25K app.

^This
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, C25k is an excellent beginning runner program. For shoes, go to a specialty running store. They will ask you some questions and check out your gait/stride and recommend the right kind of shoe. It may cost a little more, but I think the right shoe is worth the extra cost.