I want to start running, but...

Options

Replies

• gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Zombies!Run! is an awesome app. I found C25K to be boring personally and I LOVE the Zombie app. but then again I am sort of geeking out on zom's right now. :)

Use either app and just get out there. take it slow and have fun with it. another fun thing to do is once you have done some conditioning start participating in fun runs and 5Ks in your area. as a walker/jogger and with friends if you can. I find it to be very motivating to see what I can actually accomplish when I set my mind to it. :) Good luck!
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and I started Couch to 5k 3 weeks ago (tomorrow is the last run of week 3.) I can now run for minutes without dying, then I alternate to walking for a few minutes. I was always convinced I would NEVER be a runner, and now I'm working on it.

You can get audio files, apps, or plain old paper print outs of how to do it.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but C25K.
  • msankar
    msankar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In regards to the having bouncy boobs so you can't run....I used to feel the same way but since then I have gotten properly fitted for a sports bra. Stores like Intimacy and Nordstroms can get your exact size and help you find the brand that can hold the girls in and you won't even think twice about that issue. Currently, I use Panache brand 34F and I can do any exercise. I hope this helps. I initially started running by signing up for an official run about 3-4 months down the road and joining a beginner running group. Groups like Team in Training allows you to sign up for little races along the process, with a big race (usually 1/2 marathon or full) at the end of the running journey. They also have walkers too I believe. They train you and do it along side of you. The best part is that there were all levels of runners, including people who have never run before in their lives! Good luck!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What is an exercise headache?

And...

Do ankle strengthening exercises. See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0qBzbb7Bs
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Recommend either the C25K app or Galloway Method (you can get the app or just a running playlist that tells you when to walk/run and is set at the right tempo for both and the right time for both...I liked this one the best).

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

http://motiontraxx.com/mix/exercise/running/
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In regards to the having bouncy boobs so you can't run....I used to feel the same way but since then I have gotten properly fitted for a sports bra. Stores like Intimacy and Nordstroms can get your exact size and help you find the brand that can hold the girls in and you won't even think twice about that issue. Currently, I use Panache brand 34F and I can do any exercise. I hope this helps. I initially started running by signing up for an official run about 3-4 months down the road and joining a beginner running group. Groups like Team in Training allows you to sign up for little races along the process, with a big race (usually 1/2 marathon or full) at the end of the running journey. They also have walkers too I believe. They train you and do it along side of you. The best part is that there were all levels of runners, including people who have never run before in their lives! Good luck!

I LOVE Panache bras - I'd been quite happy with previous sports bras til I tried the Panache one (properly fitted) and noticed the difference IMMEDIATELY.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The BIGGEST mistake new runners make is starting out doing too much too soon and that's why you see sooooo many people recommending a program like C25K (myself included). So, here are my suggestions:

1) Go to a shoe store that specializes in sports shoes and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.
    2) Get a seriously good sports bra. There is nothing worse than boob jiggle when you're trying to focus on your running.
    3) Do your research on C25K and start running... Don't worry about your pace. Just run and follow the guidelines.
    4) Sign up for a 5K. Nothing is more motivating than a deadline. If you know that you have to be in fit and ready running form by a specific date... you're more likely to do it. I would recommend something about 2 months out from when you start C25K.
  • JonnySmith0248
    JonnySmith0248 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of the C25K and I'm loving it! I've never been a runner and just turned 50 years old. I am doing it on a treadmill at a moderate walk 3mph and jog 4mph. Once I've gone through it once I'm planning on repeating it at a faster actual running pace. I tonwas afraid I wouldn't be able to run, but so far so good :)
  • Rejuvn8
    Rejuvn8 Posts: 74
    Options
    I have not used C25K but hear wonderful things. It took forever for me to get into running, but the kicker for me was to befriend someone who loves to run and is a patient training partner. I now run over 7 miles and the secret it to take it easy on yourself and go at a comfortable pace, otherwise you may burn out. Good luck!
  • HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The BIGGEST mistake new runners make is starting out doing too much too soon and that's why you see sooooo many people recommending a program like C25K (myself included). So, here are my suggestions:

1) Go to a shoe store that specializes in sports shoes and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.
    2) Get a seriously good sports bra. There is nothing worse than boob jiggle when you're trying to focus on your running.
    3) Do your research on C25K and start running... Don't worry about your pace. Just run and follow the guidelines.
    4) Sign up for a 5K. Nothing is more motivating than a deadline. If you know that you have to be in fit and ready running form by a specific date... you're more likely to do it. I would recommend something about 2 months out from when you start C25K.

^ This is perfect, succinct advice. I would also add, don't overthink it. Yes, get fitted for the right shoes and yes, start slower than you think you need to (C25K, as everyone else has said, is great), but frankly I would not spend a ton of time worrying about how you're breathing or trying to correct your foot strike or any of the 100000 other nuances you will find people obsessing over if you spend much time on running forums. As long as you're not overdoing it and you aren't running in the wrong shoes (and assuming you're not running like Phoebe from Friends), most of that stuff will sort itself out naturally as your body gets more used to running, IMO.
  • Bennyflippy
    Bennyflippy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hear ya my boobs bounch to much and I usually end up peeing my pants laughing so hard

:bigsmile:
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I dont like running cuz my boobs bounce too much!!

lol, they make sports bras, ya know. ;) I started running while overweight and still nursing a baby!

It's true! There are some great sports bras out there. I'm pretty large chested and I love running!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    c25k. the secret trick is to SLOW DOWN! when i did my first 2 mile run I was getting so tired, so instead of stopping to walk i just slowed down a lot. once you get the distance down then you can work on speed. also don't forget to STRETCH! and wear good shoes and replace your shoes when needed.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and I started Couch to 5k 3 weeks ago (tomorrow is the last run of week 3.) I can now run for minutes without dying, then I alternate to walking for a few minutes. I was always convinced I would NEVER be a runner, and now I'm working on it.

You can get audio files, apps, or plain old paper print outs of how to do it.

Congratulations on quitting smoking!!
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K....AWESOME!!!
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how much I love you guys? Seriously! Big hearts all around! Work starts in a minute but let me just say a couple of things to everyone. :)

1. C25K sounds amazing - but I have a BlackBerry...will that work?

2. My ankle and toe issues aren't related to working out. They aren't even related to each other lol I used to dance, and many MANY ankle injuries later, it swells and flops a little easier than I'd like it to. I've been incorporating some strength training into my workouts, and the spinning has been good for it to. My toe got broken a couple of years ago and didn't heal properly, so it gets inflammed with squishy shoes (or any stubbing, banging, or being stepped on). It's stupid but I can't really do much about it except be careful.

3. I'm definitely going to look into better shoes. My NB are great for walking but they don't feel secure for running. My only hitch is that my contract for work will be at the end of the month, and until I know I'm getting renewed, I can't buy anything. :( Boo BUT if I get renewed, then I will head out. I'd rather not go back to the Running Room - is that my only option? (The people there were kind of snobby - it was the Beach district though, so not surprising.) There is a Sport Chek near me....is that good?

4. I hear you ladies about the bouncy boobies! I love my Under Armor sports bra. It really does feel like armor lol it's amazing. Again, if I get a renewal, I'll head back for a couple more.

5. Thank you all for your input. I have made a ton of notes and am so excited to get started! I feel like this is the beginning of something spectacular.

6. PS - for the ladies with thigh cellulite - did you find running reduced this at all? Gawd I hate my thighs.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    C25K

C25K

C25K

C25K

And if none of those work for you, try C25K.

^^ this
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I dont like running cuz my boobs bounce too much!!
    Under Armour has a sports bra with your name all over it
    (actually, it's their name, but I digress...)