How Long Do You Walk Your Dog?

Options

Replies

• katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    have an English Springer Spaniel - 3 years old - walk or run every morning for 40 minutes to 1 hour (40 min walk = 2.5 miles; 1 hour run = 6 miles); walk 30 minutes every night. i have a happy and tired fuzz-face. :happy:
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a year-old Boykin spaniel. She gets a 15-20 minute walk in the morning and another at lunch, and then playtime in the evening. We're working on running, now that she's old enough. I'm basically doing C25K for her :-)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i have a pit obviously, and I take him between 30 and 60 minutes per day. The walking routes are really limited where we live so its hard.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i have a shih tzu/Maltese mix , he's a year old and we walk for about 30 minutes, sometimes an hour if the weather is nice
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a pit/lab mix and he is soo fast! I am getting on the treadmill so hopefully I will be able to keep up with him, lol. He will be a good running buddy! Love my pup :)
  • liannesaut
    liannesaut Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My dogs dislike the cold weather, so they hardly walk at all in the winter, unless it's a nice, warmer day. Usually around 30-40 minutes on the weekends. During the week they run around their fenced area and play inside. In the summer we try to walk 30 minutes 5 times a week. I have three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and a shihtzu. My oldest Cavalier will only do about 20 minutes at a leisurely pace in the summer only, the other three (the girls) could go for an hour though, running the entire time. One of my goals for this year is to walk them more! Luckily all of our walks are off leash as we have a 3-4 km trail system on our property.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have an 11-week old Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler). I have been leash training her, and we go for about a 20min (1/2 mile) walk daily. I am leery about walking her more, due to her young age and young bones.

Any suggestions about length/intensity of walking/running for a young dog?
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a cane corso that runs with me. I will take him we are going 8 miles or less. On my long runs I go by myself.
  • Cpirit07002
    Options
    I have a Shorkie (Shih Tzu/Yorkie) and a Shihpoo (Shih Tzu/Poodle). We pay a guy to take them for an hour walk during the day 3 times a week since my husband and I both work full time...
    But we try to walk them ourselves for another 30mins to an hour in the evenings if it isn't freezing...trying to get my Shorkie to walk as much as possible because she is kind of sausage like (aka. Chubby, fat, roly poly looking, out of proportion, chunky) and she needs to lose some pounds because her bowed legs are under too much strain. Yeah. Love that little fat sausage of mine. :)
    She hates walking though and prefers to sit in our dog walker's 2 year old's stroller when it is too hot, too cold, too sunny, or rainy.
    The Shihpoo will run the whole time if given the chance and she is a fantastic running buddy...except for her trying to stop to eat every piece of animal crap she sees along the way. :)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have an 11-week old Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler). I have been leash training her, and we go for about a 20min (1/2 mile) walk daily. I am leery about walking her more, due to her young age and young bones.

Any suggestions about length/intensity of walking/running for a young dog?

1/2 mile may be still too far for her at 11 weeks old. Wait until she is fully grown before you start running with her. If you run with her now, it will ruin her long bones and growth plates.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have an Akita and a Lab/Golden mix. They enjoy at least 30 mins (fall/winter/spring) but unfortunately with one of them being black and the other being a "cold weather dog" they hate the summer and they might last 5 or 10 mins.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a APBT, Mr Bishop and we walk 3 to 4 miles a day, everyday if possible. The funny thing is he acts depressed if we don't walk, he actually mopes around with his leash in his mouth beggin to go walkin.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    We aim for two miles a day for the hyper two (beagle/staffie mix and bull terrier/thai ridgeback mix) and failing that, if the weather's bad we play the "stair game" inside. The "calm" one (Thai Ridgeback) is fine with a few blocks a day or hiking all day long, doesn't seem to matter to her. All three will run with me, too, or run next to a bike.
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi have a bichon/shih tzu. We walk him twice a day, a minimum of 30 minutes at a time, average about 40 minutes most days.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    What kind of dog do you have? How long do you walk him/her?
    Italian Greyhound.
    30 seconds because it's winter and he complains if I dress him up:
    555293_10151800646560607_802133026_n.jpg
    and he complains to come back in because it's cold at which point I chase him around the house. Observe this wild beast in his natural habitat (under blankets):
    IMG_20130321_005350.jpg

In the summer when it's warm he can go for hours. I think he likes the dog park more then walks. He's more of a race horse then a walker.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Chihuahua, 5yrs old, walk 2x a day for 20-30 mins. wish I had a dog park nearby :/
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    Zoey and I walk for 30-60 minutes daily. She is an 8 pound papilon. If I knew how to upload a photo I'd show you all her adorable face
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    <<<<< Plott/German Shepherd mix.

We don't "walk" her, per se. We have a fully fenced in yard. So she gets to go out and run around 3x a day for about 15-20 minutes at a time, provided it's not too cold, pouring rain, or she starts barking. When the weather's nice, we either play with her in the yard or take her to the dog park for about an hour.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Bernese Mountain Dog... Usually was 1h per day.... when it's not slushy outside, otherwise, my house turns into a sandbox, even after I have cleaned him. :tongue:

Sadly, very busy and tired for a couple of months, so he get maybe 2h per weekends :frown: but it doesnt affect his behavior... thank god!
  • Bolton84
    Bolton84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    boarder collie mix...we take him on at least 4 walks a day, the one right after work is the longest and it sometimes turns into a 1.5 - 2 mile jog...and every sunday we take him to the park and go for a 2-4 mile walk.