HEALTHY PIZZA ALTERNATIVE!!

Options

Replies

• wonderiss
    wonderiss Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love Flat Outs and have been using them to make my skinny pizzas for a while. They are so good! Even got the rest of the family to eat them without realizing they are eating healthier!
  • fatgirljessica
    Options
    I would do that but the lazy stops me. :P
    I buy Kashi pizzas. Yum!
    I had the roasted veggie one tonight. 250 cals for 1/3 of the pizza, 4 grams of fiber and 14g of protein.

"The pizza crust is made with Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame with flax seed and is wood-fired to bring out the natural flavors. Our pizzas are topped with real, wholesome ingredients - things like roasted vegetables, unique mushrooms and tasty cheeses."
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh crap, I just posted a similar recipe from something I tried tonight, but used lavash! The flat wraps are such a good idea! And here I thought I was being all clever, lol... :embarassed:
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    A variation to try and ups the protein a bit-- instead of the sauce-- mix some minced garlic with ricotta cheese and spread it on the flatout- chicken, spinach, and mozz on top- hot sauce- SO GOOD :)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love using pita bread i think tortilla is too thin. But, when I do use tortilla as the crust, I make it in the pan!
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    YUM!! **bump**
  • funkydora
    Options
    Sounds lovely am going to give that a go - I love pizza but not the calories!
  • emilyc19
    emilyc19 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • workingirl706
    workingirl706 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am posting a recipe I got from one of the girls at work. She is a "clean eating" fanatic!! I have tried the recipe and my family LOVED it!!

Ingredients
    1 ea. Flat Out Wrap (any flavor) (http://www.flatoutbread.com/) * Find this by the deli counter @ Kroger/Meijer or any grocery store* Ask for FLAT OUT Wraps they come in all flavors (sun dried tomato, Italian, whole grain..ect. ) They are also great for turkey wraps or lunch options

1/4 c. pizza sauce ( I use Organic Muer Glen) Or whatever you have around with not a ton of salt & sugar.. Anything works!

1/2c. Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese ( small amount)

Any pizza toppings you choose
    * We love the turkey pepperoni ( in the pizza section @ the grocery store- 70% less fat then regular pepperoni*
    Peppers, onions, pineapple, Canadian bacon, mushrooms.. Whatever you like.. BE CREATIVE.. PUSH VEGGIES WITH THE KIDDIES!

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 1 Flat Out Wrap on a cookie sheet.. ( brush with EVOO & spices lightly if you like) and bake it for 7 mins or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and spread the sauce and cheese on it. You can add any veggies, pepperoni, or whatever else you prefer!
    Once you get it "built", bake for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking.. Bottom will easily burn so keep an eye on it!

You get the whole thing all to yourself! :-)
    * I suggest doing a pizza buffet and have everyone in your fam make their own and bake up to two at a time on a cookie sheet

Number of Servings: 1

ENJOY!!!:drinker:

I am going to try this.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy, ill have to try it!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sounds super yummy and I love the tortilla alternative... oh and the ricota garlic suggestion! YUM!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just bought the flat bread for the first time. First impression wasn't good but it wasn't very warm. Second time, I warmed my wrap up and it was really good. Will have to make me a pizza tomorrow. Yum.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    And if you like a super-thin crust (like I do!) you can use a tortilla as your base. I spray both sides with cooking spray and then lightly brown it in a pan on top of the stove. I then put all of the toppings on, and then put in a 375 degree oven for about 5 or 6 minutes. It's simply divine and very similar to your co-workers recipe -- I don't even bother ordering "real" pizza anymore!

I've been doing this lately, too. Although it didn't occur to me to brown it on the stove top, first. I'll give that a try, thanks :happy:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to have to try this over the weekend with the kids. My hubby balks at pizza because of the cheese but this way, we can control how much is on his own. Yeah!!!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I do one with tyson grilled chicken and BBQ sauce and it's awesome
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    I tried this a week ago but instead I used pita bread and my toppings were turkey, mozzarella & provolone shredded cheese, spinach, red bell pepper and light ricotta cheese. I AM NEVER ORDERING PIZZA AGAIN. Even my friends loved it. It tastes way better than delivery and digorno (lol) and I don't have to feel guilty when I eat the whole thing. I will say I need to find a low sodium sauce but otherwise there is nothing I would change about it unless I could make it bigger. TOTALLY. FREAKING. WORTH IT.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me - and made me hungry. Made a pizza from a whole wheat tortilla and used pizza sauce, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. It came out yummy. And 240 calories plus whatever the few tomatoes add, haven't looked them up yet.

Beats the English Muffin pizzas I made as a kid.
  • amymaytay
    amymaytay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    I do the tortilla style all the time and even introduced it to my hubby, he was even impressed with the taste. I made mine with some mexican style shredded cheese, either diced tomatoes crushed or salsa as your tomato base. Mmmmm mmmmm good. And very filling for me.