Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    This is what I'm sort of thinking. While the idea interests me, there are things I don't want to give up. For example, shredded cheese. Yogurt. Real milk. My favorite recipe is topped with shredded mexican cheese and wouldn't be the same wtihout it. The ultimate goal IS most definitely weight loss, so maybe I'll just stick with making healthy choices, counting the calories and exercising.
    Yogurt, real milk and cheese were staples of human diet for at least 8,000 years, perhaps even longer. However, low fat yogurt full of sugar and chemicals to keep it stable for months on end was not part of the human diet until about 40 years ago. What is called "clean eating" or "real food" is primarily about eating those foods that are closest to natural form as humans have understood that for the last 10,000 years.

Frankly, for me, eating real food has nothing to do with "being smug" and everything to do with losing weight, having plenty of energy, and being healthy.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm sort of thinking. While the idea interests me, there are things I don't want to give up. For example, shredded cheese. Yogurt. Real milk. My favorite recipe is topped with shredded mexican cheese and wouldn't be the same wtihout it. The ultimate goal IS most definitely weight loss, so maybe I'll just stick with making healthy choices, counting the calories and exercising.
    Yogurt, real milk and cheese were staples of human diet for at least 8,000 years, perhaps even longer. However, low fat yogurt full of sugar and chemicals to keep it stable for months on end was not part of the human diet until about 40 years ago. What is called "clean eating" or "real food" is primarily about eating those foods that are closest to natural form as humans have understood that for the last 10,000 years.

Frankly, for me, eating real food has nothing to do with "being smug" and everything to do with losing weight, having plenty of energy, and being healthy.

I wish I could eat real food. I've been eating the cardboard food from kids kitchen-playsets for months. My fibre intake is pretty great though.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'd love for someone to explain to me what clean eating is. I keep seeing this term come up on these boards and don't have a clue what it means. Does it help with the weight loss? Hopefully I don't sound too silly here!

Thanks!

I do it.. look at my diary.. Just eat whole unprecessed raw foods.. Cook from scratch. basically if you can find it in nature that's something you want to eat.

It does not mean vegan.. Alot of food vegans eat are processed and not clean.. unless they also only eat foods from nature.
    It does not necessary mean organic.. although many clean eater eat only organic foods as they do not contain the man made checmicals that so many of us want to avoid. I am slowly switching to organic foods. have to eat everything I have already purchased first.

Eating clean *will* help you lose weight.. As your body will not hold onto the toxins that are present in processed crap. (toxins are stored as fat by our bodies) also many of the igredients in processed foods are not digestable and are broekn down by our digestive systems into sugars and fats.

the less ingredients the better.. ingredients should be from nature and have minimum or no alterations to them or thier composition.

If you want to switch it's easier to do it in steps, rather then throw everything away and start from nothing.

Initally you will crave the crap, but if you start experimenting with foods, you will find suitable or ever better tasting things to replace the crap.
    I wish I could eat real food. I've been eating the cardboard food from kids kitchen-playsets for months. My fibre intake is pretty great though.
    So is mine.. from all natural sources.. I have to watch it or I get too much and it has the undesirable effect on me, rather then the desirable one...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, eating "clean" wont necessarily help. To lose weight you have to eat at a caloric deficit. You can eat too much "clean" food just as easy as, dare I say, unclean food. Eat less, move more. Don't over think it.

I completely disagree with you. When you eat clean you don't have to calorie count at all, it's all about balance and eating smaller meals more often. I eat way more now than I did counting calories or points, I am satisfied for longer and don't crave anything as long as I stay on plan.

The best book that is very well written on the subject and easy to follow is Tosca Reno's The Eat Clean Diet.

That is total nonsense that you can "eat clean" and not count calories. Energy in and energy out is what weight loss is all about. This has been repeated proven. Google The Twinkie Diet.

Can you be healthier eating whole foods? Yes. Can it improve your macro and micronutrient composition? Yes. Can you do away with measuring your intake? Not at all.

Additionally, meal frequency has been proven to have zero effect on weight loss. If it helps an individual with compliance, great. But there is no metabolic advantage to 8 meals per day vs. one or 2. The proof just doesn't exist and in fact the body of data proves the opposite.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'd love for someone to explain to me what clean eating is. I keep seeing this term come up on these boards and don't have a clue what it means. Does it help with the weight loss? Hopefully I don't sound too silly here!

Thanks!

I do it.. look at my diary.. Just eat whole unprecessed raw foods.. Cook from scratch. basically if you can find it in nature that's something you want to eat.

It does not mean vegan.. Alot of food vegans eat are processed and not clean.. unless they also only eat foods from nature.
    It does not necessary mean organic.. although many clean eater eat only organic foods as they do not contain the man made checmicals that so many of us want to avoid. I am slowly switching to organic foods. have to eat everything I have already purchased first.

Eating clean *will* help you lose weight.. As your body will not hold onto the toxins that are present in processed crap. (toxins are stored as fat by our bodies) also many of the igredients in processed foods are not digestable and are broekn down by our digestive systems into sugars and fats.

the less ingredients the better.. ingredients should be from nature and have minimum or no alterations to them or thier composition.

If you want to switch it's easier to do it in steps, rather then throw everything away and start from nothing.

Initally you will crave the crap, but if you start experimenting with foods, you will find suitable or ever better tasting things to replace the crap.

Excuse me, which toxins exactly are stored as fat? Like - the actual names of the toxins. People keep talking about toxins but never want to be specific. Is it like Scientology where you have to reach a certain level before you learn the secrets? TELL ME THE TOXINS PLEASE.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, eating "clean" wont necessarily help. To lose weight you have to eat at a caloric deficit. You can eat too much "clean" food just as easy as, dare I say, unclean food. Eat less, move more. Don't over think it.

I completely disagree with you. When you eat clean you don't have to calorie count at all, it's all about balance and eating smaller meals more often. I eat way more now than I did counting calories or points, I am satisfied for longer and don't crave anything as long as I stay on plan.

The best book that is very well written on the subject and easy to follow is Tosca Reno's The Eat Clean Diet.

That is total nonsense that you can "eat clean" and not count calories. Energy in and energy out is what weight loss is all about. This has been repeated proven. Google The Twinkie Diet.

Can you be healthier eating whole foods? Yes. Can it improve your macro and micronutrient composition? Yes. Can you do away with measuring your intake? Not at all.

Additionally, meal frequency has been proven to have zero effect on weight loss. If it helps an individual with compliance, great. But there is no metabolic advantage to 8 meals per day vs. one or 2. The proof just doesn't exist and in fact the body of data proves the opposite.

it's actually true pags. if you literally eat nothing but fruit, veggies, meat, nuts and seeds and only eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full, you don't have to count calories.

but nobody really wants to do that. also, if your goal is more specific than simply "be a healthy weight" counting can be useful.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Whipped cream and strawberries in the shower;)
  • mmapags
    Options

it's actually true pags. if you literally eat nothing but fruit, veggies, meat, nuts and seeds and only eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full, you don't have to count calories.

but nobody really wants to do that. also, if your goal is more specific than simply "be a healthy weight" counting can be useful.

If there is a grain of truth in it, it is because, for some, it is hard to exceed calorie goal eating that way. But I can tell you, I've done it and can do it with ease. ! lol ! Meats, nuts and seeds are all very calorie dense. The fruits and veggies are high fiber and filling and that definitely helps but I has no problem gaining weight eating this way.

Also, go onto Sisson's forum and see how many posts there are from people that eating primal that still have to watch calories or they gain.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Whipped cream and strawberries in the shower;)

FTW!! :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

If there is a grain of truth in it, it is because, for some, it is hard to exceed calorie goal eating that way. But I can tell you, I've done it and can do it with ease. ! lol ! Meats, nuts and seeds are all very calorie dense. The fruits and veggies are high fiber and filling and that definitely helps but I has no problem gaining weight eating this way.

Also, go onto Sisson's forum and see how many posts there are from people that eating primal that still have to watch calories or they gain.

nah i know - like i said, no one really wants to do that, and doing it is hard and not a lot of fun. lol
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

you can eat cheese and yogurt and milk.. I buy white cheese in teh block form and shred it myself. I do eat fat free plain greek yogurt.. One of the few fat free foods I eat.. solely because Id o not like the taste of full fat yogurt. Best thing for yogurt is to make it yourself, or get fullf at plain organic yogurt and flavor it yourself. (with fruit preferrably or real sugar!) Milk from grass fed cows is the best.. you want to avoid the milk from grain fed cows or those who were fed chemicals or hormones. (grain fed hormone enhanced cows produce more milk, thats why it's cheaper)

It's just about eating food that has not been modified by man or that had unnatural unhealthy addiditives and or chemcials added to it. Food that theoritcally you could go out and pick off a tree or shoot/trap/capture and either eat as is or comine with other like items and turn into something else, wihtout adding man-made/manufactured things things to it.
  • mmapags
    Options

nah i know - like i said, no one really wants to do that, and doing it is hard and not a lot of fun. lol

You are right it isn't. I was willing to give it a shot if it would have made a major difference but, for me, it didn't. So, I was eating in a very disciplined way and restricted in some ways and still had to count calories!! :tongue:

Now, as Paul Harvey used to say, you know the rest of the story of how I came to follow IIFYM. I still eat mostly whole foods put I'll throw some pasta, rice and dairy in when I want and a occasional bowl of ice cream and still count calories and still lose weight and have good health markers. :bigsmile:
  • janiedoe14
    janiedoe14 Posts: 117
    Options
    my best advice is to do your own research and make a decision based on all the information you gather. google and read until you can google and read no more. that's what i do. i will ask for advice from people, but i always back it up with my own research so i can be sure i am making the right decision for me.
  • mmapags
    Options
    my best advice is to do your own research and make a decision based on all the information you gather. google and read until you can google and read no more. that's what i do. i will ask for advice from people, but i always back it up with my own research so i can be sure i am making the right decision for me.

Smart lady!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. Food doesn't contain ingredients. Food is an ingredient.
    Eat only what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear.

"If it takes multiple layers of brightly-colored packaging and a $multi-million/multi-media ad campaign to sell it, it’s not food. No one has to put meat or eggs in a brightly colored box with a cartoon character on it. I’m just sayin’."

gnolls.org does an amazing job of explaining the difference between real food and frankenfood.

I also have a huge amount of links in my Profile that do an amazing job of explaining things. I believe my Profile is public.

CICO:

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/
    http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/

my N=1: my body absolutely loves fat!!! (and my genotype is 3% below the typical risk for diabetes)

EDIT: now my Profile is public! :)
  • janiedoe14
    janiedoe14 Posts: 117
    Options

Smart lady!

Thank you! I am a huge researh buff. If something interests me, I will read everything I can about it and then form my own opinion.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Since no one else has posted it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean

ETA: And looking at one of the other links posted, what the hell does eating every 2-3 hours have to do with clean eating?!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nothing refined, processed or pre-packaged.

Protein, whole grain carbs, fruits and vegetables.

Just google clean eating and you will find a ton of information on it.

It makes a huge difference in losing weight and re-shaping your body. I personally cannot succeed at both without it.

So nothing like milk, or yogurt? I eat a yogurt every day, as it's one of the only snacks that keeps me full enough to tide me over until lunch.

I also have waffles every day for breakfast. XD
    Just so you know, yogurts help lose stomach fats.:happy:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

umm so you are saying you can eat clean, and eat more than you burn and still lose weight????