Would you please take a peek at my diary?

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Okay, I've finally given myself a swift kick in the butt- I MUST get back on track, starting tomorrow. (A little about me- lost 40 pounds with MFP, gained back 50, lost 20 in the past 6 months, gained back 3 in the past 2 weeks. Now I'm trying to make things right again).
I tried to plan out my day (it always works better that way). I'm trying to hit everything right where I need to be.

My diary is public. If you have some time, could you look at my diary for TOMORROW (MONDAY, or it may even be today if you're on the east coast)? I am really trying to do well, but I've run into some problems:

1) I am not getting enough fiber (for personal reasons, I need to get 25, at the bare minimum)
2) I am over my carb limit.
3) I am under my protein recommendation (we have no meat right now... so until we go shopping, it may be a problem).
4) I have 275 calories left under my minimum (and I will never go below 1300, FYI).

So, any suggestions? I'm really trying to do this right.
My settings are 40% Carb, 30% Protein, 30% Fat.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• bettpboopfit
    bettpboopfit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you eating every 3-4 hours?
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    I will be eating every few hours, at least.
  • Xephyr
    Xephyr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My diet is very low carb so the first thing I noticed was the spaghetti.
    I wouldn't touch it, I instead would use Spaghetti Squash.
    This of course won't work if you do not like it, :-) My husband hates it while I love it.
    Also the bread I use is called 'Dave's Killer Powerseed Bread' a slice has 6 grams a protein so can help with the protein count, carbs are the same and Fiber is 6, inplace of the 1 of the potato bread you have. It is also 10 calories more. You can search it if needed. It is really yummy.

Good Luck,
    Xev
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    My diet is very low carb so the first thing I noticed was the spaghetti.
    I wouldn't touch it, I instead would use Spaghetti Squash.
    This of course won't work if you do not like it, :-) My husband hates it while I love it.
    Also the bread I use is called 'Dave's Killer Powerseed Bread' a slice has 6 grams a protein so can help with the protein count, carbs are the same and Fiber is 6, inplace of the 1 of the potato bread you have. It is also 10 calories more. You can search it if needed. It is really yummy.

Good Luck,
    Xev

Oh, well, the spaghetti isn't a normal thing, but I'm forced to eat leftovers from tonight. D=

Could the bread be found at any regular grocery store, or do I need to go to Whole Foods/Trader Joe's (the closest WF/ TJs are 45 miles away)?
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. What I would do personally is axe the bread with the spaghetti dinner and replace it with some steamed veggies or a salad. A little grated cheese would add fat and protein.

Also, I've found that just plain old frozen peas are fabulous to nuke and add into dishes: 100g mixed with the spaghetti and meat would add 7g of fiber and 7g of protein (for the price of 9g of carbs).

Congrats for getting back on the wagon. All the best :flowerforyou:
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Hmmm. What I would do personally is axe the bread with the spaghetti dinner and replace it with some steamed veggies or a salad. A little grated cheese would add fat and protein.

Also, I've found that just plain old frozen peas are fabulous to nuke and add into dishes: 100g mixed with the spaghetti and meat would add 7g of fiber and 7g of protein (for the price of 9g of carbs).

Congrats for getting back on the wagon. All the best :flowerforyou:

I'm not a fan of peas (I can't stand foods that gush when you eat them, LOL- I'm weird), but the salad is a GREAT idea. Thanks!
  • KJenner
    KJenner Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I would definatly cut down the man made carbs like bread and pasta, try going back to basics. I have carbs for breakfast (cerial) and for lunch a big salad with ham and a few small potatoes with a low fat salad dressing. Make sure you snack on fruit and yoghurts in between meals and cup of soups that are cheep and easy, and for dinner don't have carbs every night, I have started roasting my vegetables with my dinner to give some variety. And if you are going to have carbs with your evening meal again i would say stick to natural ones instead of bread and pasta, it will stop you bloating, make you feel more awake.
    Good luck!
  • striker1988
    Options
    A quick fix might be to get a cheap whey protein shake and mix it with milk and have 1-2 of these a day. It'll up your protein intake massively and protein shakes have a huge satiating effect that will take your mind off the carbs to a certain degree.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of peas (I can't stand foods that gush when you eat them, LOL- I'm weird), but the salad is a GREAT idea. Thanks!

LOL. My sister isn't a fan of them either. She used to swallow them with water when we were little :laugh:
    If green beans aren't too gushy for you, they have great fiber content too.
  • MFPfriend
    Options

LOL. My sister isn't a fan of them either. She used to swallow them with water when we were little :laugh:
    If green beans aren't too gushy for you, they have great fiber content too.

I love green beans too. I'll try those. Thanks!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is good for fiber too. What about almonds as another fibrous snack with some protein in them? I follow a low carb, high protein, high fiber diet so you're welcome to take a peak at my diary if you need some ideas. :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Carbs: Don’t worry too much on the carbs from looking at your June 21 entry you are only over by 25 and you are having pasta for dinner. If you run out of meat often or are budgeting to buy less invest in low-carb, high fiber pasta – that will solve 2 of your problems! There are most pasta options in the US than Canada here we only have Healthy Harvest but it’s a start. Try replacing potato bread with higher fibre whole wheat bread as well.

Fibre: It doesn't look like you are getting enough veggies which are your main source of fibre. I know 5-10 a day is hard but try adding a bit more than ½ cup carrots and 2 cups lettuce especially since darker veggies have more nutritional content which includes fibre. Iceburg lettuce is basically water but it’s a start – that’s ok! If cost or convenience is a factor, buy a bag of mixed veggies for the freezer. Add spinach to smoothies (yes I just tried that yesterday and you really can’t taste it – I was a sceptic I assure you) or snack on all-bran flakes, I’m an all-bran addict myself!

Stock up on water-packed tuna (Clover brand is only 60 calories a serving which is 1/2 a can, 1 WW point) when its on sale so you don’t run out of protein sources (currently $0.88 at Food Basics for all my Canadian readers). 1/2 can tuna and frozen No-Name veggies is such a fast, low-cal and healthy lunch when I forget to make mine the night before. Frozen veggies and Presidents Choice Blue Menu Lean Italian Meatballs are also perfect for late nights at the office and not wanting to cook when you get home.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hmm. First thing I would do is tell you to cut out the Splenda- fake sugars have always made it hard for me to lose weight. Also, our bodies are less satisfied from calories that we drink so instead of drinking a cup of milk why not eat 2 hard boiled eggs. I make them in the begining of the week and then eat them as I please. I think you have too much bread in there and I think you are majorly underestimating the calories in your spaggetti and meat sauce. I would add more fiber by at the very least switching your bread and pasta for whole grain. Just a tip this is what I eat when I want lose weight. The great thing about it is that it is filling, cheap, and I love it.

Tumaros Low Carb Wrap Toasted (60 calories)
    Black Beans (90 calories)
    Fage Green Yogurt (40 calories)
    1/4 Avocado (80 calories)
    Jalepenos, Tomatoes

or

Tumaros Low Carb Warp Toasted (60 calories)
    Hummus (I use Abrams All Natural) 80 calories
    1/4 Avocado 80 calories
    tomatoes, spinach, sprouts

Both of these lunch options are under 250 calories and you can buy all the ingredients for under $15 and make 5 lunches interchanging each day. Add a piece of fruit and some boiled eggs for breakfast and you just consumed a full day of whole foods that are filling for 500 calories. Trust me you will not be hungry. For dinner have some steak, 1/2 yam and some sauteed veggies with a glass or two of wine and that won't even equal 700 calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    For fiber, I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies and getting fiber from those. Leave the skin on when you can and that adds to the fiber. Beans are a great cheap source of fiber as well. Switching to whole wheat bread will also help with increasing the fiber.

Your calories are allotted differently than mine (I'm at 45% carbs/25% protein... hoping to get to 40/30 eventually) so I don't have many suggestions there... I'm staying within my carbs (mostly) but struggle to get in enough protein. My food diary is public as well so you are welcome to check for ideas. I haven't monitored fiber in a couple of weeks because I was doing well for a while... I'll put that back up for a day or so in case you are interested (and I need to monitor it too!)

I completely understand about eating whatever you can until you can get to the grocery store... I used up everything healthy we had left at home in a salad for lunch... luckily got a chance to run out to the store later in the afternoon! I watch for sales on meat and really stock up when it is on sale, so that helps money go farther for protein too. :)

About the spaghetti: I just glanced at my diary and realized that Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta was listed with 10 grams fiber per cup of cooked spaghetti. 'm not so sure on that though... but I know it is at least comparable to whole wheat on fiber (6g/2oz uncooked), without the whole wheat texture that no one else in my family will eat!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    raw almonds, other raw nuts are a great source of protein as well, healthy fats and fiber

Nut butter (fresh ground almond butter, PB, cashew butter etc) bring in the protein as well, just use sparingly as they do contain fat.

I totally understand what it's like in between grocery days when the money is tight, you eat what you have and don't eat what you don't.

This Summer I signed up for CSA (community supported agriculture) and for a certain cost you get a box of fresh veggies/fruits (freshly picked that day/all organic) each week through Oct., it's unbelievable what it's stocked with. Very reasonable cost! Might be worth checking out your area to see what you can find:flowerforyou:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hmm I can't see any entries except some half completed days from last week... maybe there's something wrong with my MFP :ohwell:
  • Xephyr
    Xephyr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The bread, Daves killer powerseed I get at "Fred Meyers" This is our states 'everything in one store" type place with full groceries.
    But yes it is a normal store.
    I get them in the specialty food or nutrition food section.
    It is spendier yes, but I really like it, it is my favorite Wheat bread and protein is high.
    They have other protein breads also but I've liked this one the best as it has yummy seeds all through it.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend you find a copy of Tosca Reno's book, "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged."

When I eat, it is my goal to always try to combine a complex carb with a protein at every meal...and I eat 5-6 times/day. Your protein intake is quite low, particularly this week, and it seems as though you 'waste' a lot of calories each day with sugary, fattening foods (i.e. cake, cinnamon rolls, fruit loops).

Learning to eat properly is a process...and I'm going to be honest (and you may not like it), but to be successful, you have to get the junk out of your house. If it's there, you're going to be tempted to eat it and you're going to sabotage your nutrition for the day. Period. Also, for me, I've found that one piece of cake inevitably leads to another bite of a 2nd piece, and then another bite. If you don't have the willpower to say no, get rid of it. Even if you have kids or a husband who like the foods in question...get rid of them. They don't need them either. You're doing everyone a favor.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend you find a copy of Tosca Reno's book, "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged."

When I eat, it is my goal to always try to combine a complex carb with a protein at every meal...and I eat 5-6 times/day. Your protein intake is quite low, particularly this week, and it seems as though you 'waste' a lot of calories each day with sugary, fattening foods (i.e. cake, cinnamon rolls, fruit loops).

Learning to eat properly is a process...and I'm going to be honest (and you may not like it), but to be successful, you have to get the junk out of your house. If it's there, you're going to be tempted to eat it and you're going to sabotage your nutrition for the day. Period. Also, for me, I've found that one piece of cake inevitably leads to another bite of a 2nd piece, and then another bite. If you don't have the willpower to say no, get rid of it. Even if you have kids or a husband who like the foods in question...get rid of them. They don't need them either. You're doing everyone a favor.

This week wasn't normal by any means, sorry. :(

I have no say over what is in the house. I live with my parents at the moment, and I tried to throw junk out of the house, and they kicked me out for a week. I am allowed to buy my own food and keep it in the house, but I have no money (hence living with the parents).

I know how to eat clean, but it's extremely hard when you don't choose what foods are in the house.