For All The Coffee Drinkers

Options
Today I was reading up on coffee because I absolutely am in-love head over heels with it. I wanted to know what is bad about coffee. Now we all know almost everything has ups & downs & though I didn't like the downs to it, I do not plan on giving it up. But I did want to inform you coffee drinkers what is being said about it.

- "drinking coffee may interfere with your body's ability to keep homocysteine and cholesterol levels in check, most likely by inhibiting the action of the vitamins folate, B12 or B6"

- "increased risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis"

- "caffeine in coffee can raise blood pressure and levels of stress hormones, and if consumed in large quantities it can lead to heart palpitations, jitters and nervousness."

Now... This is where it gets interesting.

"coffee is clearly not the healthiest liquid to drink--the best choice is pure water--but coffee and caffeine are far less dangerous than fruit juice or soda. "
I just personally didn't think coffee would be better for you than fruit juice.

In the article they do mention pregnant women should never drink coffee. I still used to drink coffee when i was pregnant but I did drink caffeine free. They also inform you about coffee and pesticides. Also to avoid coffee if you have High Blood Pressure, Insomnia or Anxiety.

& They do not mention this but yellow teeth. That's my scare, lol.

My questions to you guys:

1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still?

2) Random: Do you drink your coffee black or add extra ingredients?

3) Did you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee while pregnant?

4) Does coffee wake you up or put you to sleep?

5) Does coffee make you use the restroom?

6) Does it matter to you if you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated?

-I have never cared whether my coffee was caffeinated or decaffeinated because I fall asleep every time.
-It does make me use the restroom every single time I drink even a half of a cup.
-I always drink coffee with added ingredients. All I ever use is creamer. International Delight is my favorite.

Speaking of coffee, my coffees done ;) Going to go make me a cup now!

This is the link to the article by the way : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/12/10/coffee-part-two.aspx

Replies

• Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sooo... coffee is bad for you... again.. huh?!?! :grumble: I'll wait for a couple months for it to be good again for you! :drinker: There is no reason to wake up if there is no warm, welcoming juice of the pleasure gods! :laugh:

1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still?
    I will die with a cup of that Delicious liquid in my hands!

I drink it with cream and sugar hot but black if it is iced.

Never have and never will be!

Both!

Nope

What is decaffeinated coffee? Frankenjuice?
  • thetemplateblog
    thetemplateblog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do a search for BulletProof Coffee. I started last week and am hooked.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The Liver loves coffee!!!!!!!!!! That in itself makes it worthwhile!:drinker:
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day. Sometimes in the morning and in the evening after dinner. In the summer, I'm more of an iced coffee girl. Don't like hot coffee when it's super warm out. Although, I'm researching homemade iced coffee recipes. I'm super cheap and hate spending huge $$ for coffee. AND, homemade is much easier on the calories! I will continue to drink my coffee.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Still gonna continue to love my coffee.

Usually black but sometimes if I'm in the mood for something sweet I'll add Cold Stone Creamery Creamer

No coffee while pregnant, tea instead

Wakes me up big time and gives me tonnes of energy for my workouts. I drink coffee 2-3 hours before all my workouts.

Yep!

Decaf????? NEVER! I don't see the point.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I say hogwash to all of it. (coming from a true lover of coffee, lol)

I put just enough milk into it to take a bit of the bitterness out.

I drank caffeinated, just 2 cups a day with lots of milk.

Can't wake up without it in the morning. Can't sleep without it at night, which goes against
    everything coffee is supposed to do. If I don't get my after dinner cup, I am really restless at night.

No more than any other liquid.

I dont drink decaf - why bother.

From a true addict. I admit my problem, and I have no problem with it.
  • jeniferchurch
    Options
    Fellow addict here. Kind of immune to caffeine, but if I don't have it for more than 24 I get a headache.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    coffee is health food. It is an antioxidant and also lowers a womans risk of breast cancer
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

You can have my coffee when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands

Both. I use fat free milk, somtimes cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I would drink it black more often but I had an ucler as a teenager and I'm terrified of it returning. How stressed does a 19 year old have to be to get a stomach ulcer?!?!

N/A never been pregnant.

it does not put me to sleep. I can drink it right before bed and still sleep like a baby. I am however not in the best of moods before I've had my morning coffee so approach at your own risk.

Nope.

Decaffinated? what's that?! I don't understand.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day. Sometimes in the morning and in the evening after dinner. In the summer, I'm more of an iced coffee girl. Don't like hot coffee when it's super warm out. Although, I'm researching homemade iced coffee recipes. I'm super cheap and hate spending huge $$ for coffee. AND, homemade is much easier on the calories! I will continue to drink my coffee.

Do a google search for "cold brew" coffee. This method makes hands down THE BEST iced (and hot) cofee I've ever had. I try to keep a cold brew in the fridge at all times. It's well worth the hassle and time to make it.
  • Tati_Pt
    Tati_Pt Posts: 9
    Options
    I love coffee way too much to give up of it. I feel weird when I don't drink coffee, it seems that my day doesn't start well.

I usually put some milk in my coffee. I always drink 2 mugs a day.

Neither. I think I got used to that amount of coffee I drink every day, must be why I see no difference ...

No, it doesn't

I never try decaffeinated, never seemed interesting to try it.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Ehhhh, I am not going to stop with my one cup/day.

Both, mostly I put cream or milk.

Now, it would be difficult but I might voluntarily give it up but I cannot get pregnant (Im a male) soo not issue there

Never tried it at bed

It sure does!!!

Is this a serious question?!
  • svallwood
    Options

I'm having a cup right now. I have tried to cut back a bit. I used to have 2 cups every day. Now, unless I'm really tired (like today), I have one cup of coffee in the morning and a cup of Green Tea in the afternoon. Like many others have said, the research on coffee is contradictory. Most seem to say it's fine in moderation (no more than 2 cups per day) and some studies say it's healthy.

I take mine black with sweetner. I used to use Splenda, but gave up artificial sweetners for New Year. I use Truvia (Stevia Leaf extract) now. It's a little bitter and took some getting used to, but I've aquired the taste now.

I'm a dude! But my wife drank a little coffee after the first trimester. Her OB/GYN said it was fine to have half a cup per day. She puts so much cream in hers that a half a cup is all she ever drank anyway.

Wakes me up for the most part. But I've got a pretty high caffeine tolerance so it doesn't last long. I have noticed if I drink a cup too late in the day, I have trouble falling asleep so I try not to have any past 4pm.

Hells yeah. Keeps me quite regular.

They serve decaf in Hell.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a coffee while reading/typing this.

Almond milk and brown sugar for me. Regular homo milk if I'm out of almond milk.

With my first, I didn't drink any coffee at all. The smell of it made me sick. Most things made me sick actually.
    With my second, I drank regular coffee. Less, of it but I still drank it.

AWAKE!!!!!!!

I drink bucketloads of water so I'm not sure if it's the coffee or not that makes me pee every 15 minutes. That first cup of coffee in the morning is usually what gets things, uh, moving, in the morning, If you know what I mean (I'm talking B.M.)

If you give me decaf you WILL have a cup of decaf thrown at you.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I roast my own coffee. I brew it in a superautomatic espresso machine. I'll give it up when I'm DEAD. :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Coffee is NOT bad for you. Any person who drinks a large amount of caffeine be it coffee, tea, soda, even chocolate will cause heart palpitations.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yawn.gif
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Can t answer questions right now - enjoying my daily one cup of coffee.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still? I feel the same about coffee as I always have because I've heard all of this before. No, it doesn't make me want to wean myself off of coffee.

2) Random: Do you drink your coffee black or add extra ingredients? I drink it with 2 Splenda or 2 Stevia packets and sugar free flavored creamer. Black coffee is unpalateable IMO.

3) Did you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee while pregnant? I drank one cup of caffienated coffee every single morning while pregnant and no I did not have a small baby, she was 9 lbs 1oz, 5 days late and perfectly healthy.

4) Does coffee wake you up or put you to sleep? It is a morning ritual for me, I drink it on my drive to work. I have one 9oz cup a day.

5) Does coffee make you use the restroom? Not anymore than the 64+ oz of water a day I drink.

6) Does it matter to you if you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated? What is the point of decaffienated coffee?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    (Almost) everything in moderation :)