MACRONUTRIENT RATIOS IN A DIET

Options
When I first joined MFP I was recommended to I eat 1200 calories per day, I did loose 16 lbs this way then stopped and have gone nowhere for at least 6 months. Since then I have begun reading up on the proper way to loose weight in a healthy way. I was clearly not eating enough calories and adjusted that based on my BMR, but now I am finding that I should be looking into macro nutrient ratios as well. I have read way to many forum topics and google searches that went over my head but they did give me a better understanding on how everything works.. just not how to calculate my particular numbers based on my height, weight, age, and gender without purchasing an expensive device that I have to wear for a long time.

I just found this website which "dumbs" it down for me and will be starting to follow.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/388545-macronutrient-ratios-in-a-diet/

For those who may know a little about the subject, does this seem accurate. For those who are looking for the same answers I hope this helps.

Replies

• emilymonnig
    Options
    Someone recently directed me to the Scooby's Workshop Calorie Calculator (just google it!) - I had been eating 1000 cal a day, and this week (after reading on that website and doing the calculator) I moved my calories up to 1600 AND lost weight AND felt better! Worth googling for sure!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    The article is a good start. You didn't mention if you are working out. If you follow the recommendations they offer you should be fine.

When working out and/or trying to lose weight the recommended amount of protein is 1gram per pound of lean body mass (LBM), which is everything in your body that is not fat. If you know your body fat percentage then you can easily calculate your LBM. Otherwise, you can use the average for women of 100-110 lbs LBM which means 100-110 grams of protein. Fat should be 25-30% of your calories and the remainder is carbs.