For All The Coffee Drinkers

Options

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    :love: 1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still?
    I love my coffee & tend to drink 1-3 cups a day. Not gonna change!

2) Random: Do you drink your coffee black or add extra ingredients?
    Usually a bit of sweet & low and ff half & half... but if nothing is easily available I'll drink it black.

3) Did you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee while pregnant?
    Not pregnant though trying to be. When I am I'll switch to decaf... but I can't give it up altogether.

4) Does coffee wake you up or put you to sleep?
    Both.

5) Does coffee make you use the restroom?
    Absolutely.

6) Does it matter to you if you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated?
    In the morning I like the real thing but after that first cup it really doesn't matter.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I roast my own coffee. I brew it in a superautomatic espresso machine. I'll give it up when I'm DEAD. :laugh:

OK where do you get the green beans, how do you roast them and what's the flavor like? I need to know these things. I must know these things. Tell me damnit!!!!!!!!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    ) How do you feel after hearing this information? Still going to drink coffee - doesn't change my love.

Sometimes black, sometimes with cream & sugar. Sometimes in latte form.

When I get pregnant eventually, I'll drink decaf.

Depends! It can do both.

Makes no difference, the effects are psychological
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    none of this will change my coffee habits. It would be BAD for people around me for me to quit drinking it. People would end up getting hurt.:drinker: :love:

Decaf is for wimps :laugh:
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I drink a pot a day. I will never ever give up my java, ever! I do like a little sugar in it wit ha splash of caramel macchiato. Mmmmm I think I will go pour myself another cup!!
  • ellesoul
    ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think coffee affects people in different ways... I gave it up for lent and my body and mind are extremely thankful... 3 HUGE improvements that I've noticed:

I'm less stressed, no longer have insomnia, and don't have to use the bathroom nearly as much (before, I'd get up during the night at least 1-2xs to pee -__- this is ontop of insomnia when i was only sleeping like 3-4 hours a night)

I honestly would've never associated this with coffee, because I was only drinking 1-2 cups per day, sometimes not even daily, and had been doing it for so long...

This could've been a result of a caffeine sensitivity, however I still drink caffinated tea in abundance and haven't had the same side effects as I did with coffee.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still?
    No way. They told me when I was little that drinking coffee would stunt my growth. I am 5'10" so I guess it is a good thing that I drank it!

With milk or Creamer

Caffeinated coffee. Maybe that is why kids were wild when little :-)

It depends. Wakes me up in the morning, but doesn't bother me enough that I couldn't go back to sleep.

Nope

I drink it for the effect, not necessarily the taste...lol I would rather have the caffeinated variety!

My husband makes me a cappuccino every morning while I am getting ready for my day. We have a mocha pot that goes right on the stove. I love it! I would be a miserable person without my coffee. I grew up in RI. We have more coffee shops per sq ft than any other state (or so I have been told). We actually drank coffee milk in school or at home. You had a choice- white milk, chocolate milk or coffee milk. The coffee milk always sold out first!
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still? Um, yes, of course :drinker:

2) Random: Do you drink your coffee black or add extra ingredients? With creamer!

3) Did you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee while pregnant? My doctor allowed one cup of coffee per day and my toddler is absolutely healthy and happy.

4) Does coffee wake you up or put you to sleep? Neither. I just drink it because it tastes good!

5) Does coffee make you use the restroom? Yes!

6) Does it matter to you if you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated? Is there really a point in drinking decaf?!

I did go through a stage where I drank WAY too much and my eye started twitching, so if you get to that point, you may want to back off a bit! Honestly, I've cut down to about a cup a day since joining MFP... not because of the health risks (are they really valid?! I've heard so many points of view...), but because I prefer to chew my calories. Just sayin'. :wink:
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still?
    I only have one cup of decaf latte daily. That is my 1 cup of milk (skim) per day.

Grande Decaf Non Fat Latte. From Starbucks, or made at home with our Nespresso machine. Always with skim milk. Hmmmm....unless I am not watching calories, and it is the weekend, then I might add a shot of Bailey's to the frother with my skim milk!!!

Decaf when pregnant.
    Neither

No more than any other liquid. Less than tea.

Have drank decaf since I started having hot flashes. I read that decaf is better for a menopausal woman, so I changed and have never gone back. I don't drink it for any rush it gives me, as it doesn't. I just like my latte's.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 years old and have been drinking a pot of coffee a day on average for 40 years. I don't plan to stop until I assume room temperature. I always drink regular coffee...no decaf for me.

Already answered.

Sweet and low and some sort of creamer.

N/A

Neither. I sleep like a baby no matter how much I drink.

No more than anything else would.

Already answered.

By the way....it has not made my teeth yellow. :happy:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I roast my own coffee. I brew it in a superautomatic espresso machine. I'll give it up when I'm DEAD. :laugh:

OK where do you get the green beans, how do you roast them and what's the flavor like? I need to know these things. I must know these things. Tell me damnit!!!!!!!!

You can get the green coffee beans on Ebay, among other sources. I use a machine called a FreshRoast SR500 to roast mine but if you find a popcorn popper where the heated air comes in vents at the side (near the bottom) you can use that for roasting for very little cash outlay. Use a soup can with the bottom cut out stuck into the round area in the popper as a chimney. Roast outside, because coffee beans have a papery skin that will fly off as it is roasted. Listen for "first crack" which sounds like popcorn popping. After a bit more time listen for "second crack" which sounds like Rice Krispies when you pour milk on them. After the beans have passed second crack and are dark enough for your taste, cool them off in front of a fan in a wire colander or by pouring them from bowl to bowl in front of a fan. Let them rest for a few hours at least to "off gas" (carbon dioxide). Then grind and brew.
    The taste depends on the variety of bean and degree of roast but in pretty much every way it will likely be superior to what you buy already roasted.

If you want to know more send me a message and I'll help you get started. :drinker:
  • gabbyguru
    Options
    I love coffee. I don't drink it every day just because if it's hot/warm outside I usually want something cold to drink. As for your article, it doesn't make me want to wean off coffee at all. I use one serving of creamer. I bellieve 35 calories for an absolute heavenly treat is not a bad deal. I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea (down right sin here the south to not add sugar) I don't want decaf....I like strong coffee. & yes it does make me go to the bathroom.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    1) How do you feel after hearing this information? Does it make you want to wean on coffee or drink away still? As stated before, I'll keep drinking it and gloat when they say it's good for me again.

2) Random: Do you drink your coffee black or add extra ingredients? Black; if I want flavor, I buy flavored coffee

3) Did you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee while pregnant? never been pregnant, so nope

4) Does coffee wake you up or put you to sleep? I like it strong enough to slap me awake; anything else is weak sauce

5) Does coffee make you use the restroom? yep

6) Does it matter to you if you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated? YES; MUST HAVE CAFFEINE - my wife bought a sign and hung it next to the coffee maker: "Just give me the coffee and nobody gets hurt."
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    tumblr_lng0yh50sl1qcu14uo1_400.gif
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Today I was reading up on coffee because I absolutely am in-love head over heels with it. I wanted to know what is bad about coffee. Now we all know almost everything has ups & downs & though I didn't like the downs to it, I do not plan on giving it up. But I did want to inform you coffee drinkers what is being said about it.

- "drinking coffee may interfere with your body's ability to keep homocysteine and cholesterol levels in check, most likely by inhibiting the action of the vitamins folate, B12 or B6"

- "increased risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis"

- "caffeine in coffee can raise blood pressure and levels of stress hormones, and if consumed in large quantities it can lead to heart palpitations, jitters and nervousness."

Now... This is where it gets interesting.

"coffee is clearly not the healthiest liquid to drink--the best choice is pure water--but coffee and caffeine are far less dangerous than fruit juice or soda. "
    I just personally didn't think coffee would be better for you than fruit juice.

In the article they do mention pregnant women should never drink coffee. I still used to drink coffee when i was pregnant but I did drink caffeine free. They also inform you about coffee and pesticides. Also to avoid coffee if you have High Blood Pressure, Insomnia or Anxiety.

& They do not mention this but yellow teeth. That's my scare, lol.

My questions to you guys:

-I have never cared whether my coffee was caffeinated or decaffeinated because I fall asleep every time.
    -It does make me use the restroom every single time I drink even a half of a cup.
    -I always drink coffee with added ingredients. All I ever use is creamer. International Delight is my favorite.

Speaking of coffee, my coffees done ;) Going to go make me a cup now!

This is the link to the article by the way : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/12/10/coffee-part-two.aspx

This post makes me want to run to Starbucks for a LATTE!!!! :drinker:
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

It does not make me want to quit my coffee.

I add extra stuff - creamer and splenda at home, cream (half & half, whatever) and sugar when I'm out.

Yes. Caffeinated every morning, decaf sometimes in the afternoon but only if someone was around to give me the side-eye.

Neither. It turns me into a civil human being.

I guess. But doesn't everything?

Decaf sometimes has a weird flavor, so I definitely prefer regular. But I'm not about to get Red Ross about decaf, you know?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Given that is was from mercola, I think that it is fairly safe to ignore it.

Black

I'm male.

Neither really.

Not anymore so than water. The diuretic properties of caffeine have been exaggerated.

Yes. I don't touch decaf coffee. What's the point?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    funny and true story:

I had never had a cup of coffee when I was in my thirties. Then I read that diet book "eat right for your type" and and was totally brainwashed by it for about a week. I started to drink coffee because the book recommended it for my blood type. I've been drinking lots of coffee daily ever since. When people ask me if I worry about my health I tell them that I have to drink lots now to make up for not drinking any throughout fifteen years of my grown up life!!! sheesh!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

You can get the green coffee beans on Ebay, among other sources. I use a machine called a FreshRoast SR500 to roast mine but if you find a popcorn popper where the heated air comes in vents at the side (near the bottom) you can use that for roasting for very little cash outlay. Use a soup can with the bottom cut out stuck into the round area in the popper as a chimney. Roast outside, because coffee beans have a papery skin that will fly off as it is roasted. Listen for "first crack" which sounds like popcorn popping. After a bit more time listen for "second crack" which sounds like Rice Krispies when you pour milk on them. After the beans have passed second crack and are dark enough for your taste, cool them off in front of a fan in a wire colander or by pouring them from bowl to bowl in front of a fan. Let them rest for a few hours at least to "off gas" (carbon dioxide). Then grind and brew.
    The taste depends on the variety of bean and degree of roast but in pretty much every way it will likely be superior to what you buy already roasted.

If you want to know more send me a message and I'll help you get started. :drinker:

I am so going to try this. THanks.