So, I just joined a gym....

Options
And I'm kinda terrified. I reeeaaaallly want to get into a good routine but I'm so dang shy and I hate it!! They don't have any trainers or anything so I'm just kinda goin on my own. They have a "smart start" program where they weigh and measure you and give you tips on how to get where you want to be, so that will be nice. But I just feel so awkward going. UGH!!!

Replies

• Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, too, and it got in my way for a really long time. But after a few months of just walking outside on my own, losing some weight, and feeling more confident, I find now that it doesn't bother me at all. I joined a gym this month and I'm doing everything all the fit people are doing. In my opinion, anyone who would make fun of the fat girl working out is the jerk, not me, because I have to work that much harder to get the results I want. Just remember you're a badass and there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • jennylea16
    jennylea16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me, this was my first week at the gym. They do have trainers and I meant with her today and she went over the strength training machines with me. Still felt so awkward doing everything and how out of shape I am! But we will only get better at it if we just do it! But I understand, I am do self concious doing everything!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Before going, search around websites like bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength. Learn about proper form for some of the basic lifts and find a basic plan. Then, his the weight room and go for it! For the cardio aspect, find a machine or a class you like, get some great music or a show and go for it! You can do it!
  • x3BeccaBearx3
    x3BeccaBearx3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. my bf and i used to go 3 or 4 times a week. then i fell into the habbit of working out at home, and now i want to go back to the gym to switch it up, but im nervous about going back at first. im really shy.
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support!! :smile: I used to go with my ex and killed it, no problem. But going alone is kinda scary. I'm still going to go just may take a while to get into the flow I guess. I just wish I had someone there that knew what they were doing and had a routine that I could just follow along with but that just isn't going to happen :sad: But hopefully after some very extensive internet research I'll get a routine and finally get comfortable.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    it's like starting a new job or going to a new school, it'll just take some time Soon it will feel like "home"
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like they have a cool program (with the weighing and goals). Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Get a program.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New RUles of Lifting.

Start from there.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Get a program.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New RUles of Lifting.

Start from there.

YESS!!! Just DO it! Good luck! :happy:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women.. After I was done it gave me confidence to do my own thing..

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363897250&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women.. After I was done it gave me confidence to do my own thing..

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363897250&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women

She knows what she's talking about.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Another vote for SS, SL, or NROLFW. Any of those will help you learn about form and progression. It's important to get as much knowledge as early as you can, and to work slowly until you get it down. Good first step committing!
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options

And she is a total badass! Listen to her!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Before going, search around websites like bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength. Learn about proper form for some of the basic lifts and find a basic plan. Then, his the weight room and go for it! For the cardio aspect, find a machine or a class you like, get some great music or a show and go for it! You can do it!

^YES^