WHY is soda so addicting? Has anyone figured it out?

Options

Replies

• Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    I used to be so addicted to soda but I hardly ever drink it now! I think your surroundings have a lot to do with it. My husband is not a soda drinker and neither is his whole family. So when we moved in together we never had it in the house. We have a water cooler and only buy milk. We don't buy it, and now I never crave it. I have it so rarely, only when they have pot lucks at work or things like that.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I hate it when people make sweeping statements with scary capitalized words in them.

Sugar is not addictive like all illegal drugs. Sugar does not cause physical addiction like heroin, for example. However, sugar is psychologically addictive for the same reason that cocaine is psychologically addictive. Not all people are susceptible to the dopamine reward cycle addiction that both sugar and cocaine create. So, naturally, those folks who don't experience that sort of addiction think it's a bunch of poppycock.

But, seriously, don't compare sugar addiction to heroin addiction. Nobody ever prescribed methadone to a recovering sugar addict.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here ever sucked **** for a chocolate bar?

Does Valentine's Day count?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sugar triggers dopamine release in the brain. Dopamine creates a sense of euphoria and is usually linked to rewarding behavior. Your brain wants more of the euphoria reward. Cocaine is another chemical that acts on the brain's dopamine system and creates the same sort of euphoria reward addiction cycle.

Comparing sugar to cocaine?

:noway:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Because I associate it with sex. I drink it after sex.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS just as ADDICTIVE as any drug that is ILLEGAL, so it's not just soda you can be addicted to its anything with SUGAR! Sugar really is a toxic to our systems.
    Don't even get me started on diet soda.

Just for fun... ?
    What's wrong with diet soda.....?!

She said not to get her started. WHY ARE YOU SUCH A BULLY?

I just can't HALP myself!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS just as ADDICTIVE as any drug that is ILLEGAL, so it's not just soda you can be addicted to its anything with SUGAR! Sugar really is a toxic to our systems.

1. Please . . . do get started on diet soda. This should be entertaining.

2. I think if you told your very ADDICTIVE sugar stories to a person who's actually addicted to ILLEGAL drugs like heroin they would more than likely laugh in your face.

:flowerforyou:

CLAPPING, LOUD ROAR....
    Soda is not addictive Like Drugs..How foolish of you to say
    Clean now for 12 years
    I feel bad for you, your brain is small..
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    But, seriously, don't compare sugar addiction to heroin addiction. Nobody ever prescribed methadone to a recovering sugar addict.

This thread makes me so happy.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Just for fun... ?

It sounds like you're addicted to bullying.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    We are hot wired to want the things that were not readily available a hundred years ago or more.
    Those things include fat, salt, and sugar. None of these things were easy to get until "modern times" so our bodies want it whenever we can get it.
    Uhhhhhh, I hate to go down a rabbit hole, but that's not really right.

Fat was quite readily available. The typical person in most pre-industrial cultures ate a lot of fat in the form of milk, cheese, cream and yogurt. It was a staple of the diet and was one of the few ways that the poorer folks in those cultures got enough calories. Modern hunter-gatherer societies use milk the same way today. See, for example, the Masai.

What wasn't commonly available historically was enough carbs and sugar to make up 50% or so of the regular daily diet.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Because of the carbonation.

Everyone loves bubbles.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    For me, saying sugar is addictive is a cop-out and an excuse to not use self control.

I crave sugar sometimes. I either feed that craving or move past it. I also crave brussel sprouts sometimes - are they addictive too?

Using food to control your emotions or to comfort yourself is a real thing and something many of us have to overcome. I think people wrongly label this as food addiction. Yes, people use food for the wrong reasons but I don't believe food is addicting in the same way drugs or nicotine are. Has anyone here ever sucked **** for a chocolate bar?

^QFT^

Mmmmm.... bubbles.... But I have managed to stop. I drink two glasses of chocolate milk, then water for the rest of the day. If I get sick, though, I am going back to my precious bubbles. I have a bottle of Big Red in the pantry for such an occasion.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Just for fun... ?

and we wonder where kids get it from...
  • marypatmccue
    Options

Just for fun... ?

:flowerforyou:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Just for fun... ?

I blame sugar.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Because of the carbonation.

Everyone loves bubbles.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is PERFECT...hahahaha

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • marypatmccue
    Options

I blame sugar.

hahaha
    I mean, it's like heroin, right? That's gotta be the problem. :tongue:
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    lol this thread got funny :)

For me, it's not the caffeine or the sugar... the zero-cal flavored carbonation waters work just as well. It seems like a psychological addiction... like I associate it with freedom, good times... anyone relate to this? Is this breakable?

This is totally, totally, totally crazy - I expect this to get made fun of, but discussion is what we're here for - I thought about training myself to hate it by smelling something reeeeallly repulsive every time I drink it - like, vomit-inducing repulsive (not just kind of gross). Thoughts?
  • Ariel52
    Ariel52 Posts: 9
    Options
    I decided to go cold turkey on soda; pretty much had stuck to diet soda in the past but was drinking way too much of that even. It was a running joke with my family as to how much I could put away at one sitting. Now I drink herbal tea, sparkling water, and use Crystal light if I want something other than just plain water.
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    lol this thread got funny :)

For me, it's not the caffeine or the sugar... the zero-cal flavored carbonation waters work just as well. It seems like a psychological addiction... like I associate it with freedom, good times... anyone relate to this? Is this breakable?

This is totally, totally, totally crazy - I expect this to get made fun of, but discussion is what we're here for - I thought about training myself to hate it by smelling something reeeeallly repulsive every time I drink it - like, vomit-inducing repulsive (not just kind of gross). Thoughts?

Interesting technique... will you try it and let us know how it works?
    haha... I'm going to keep drinking my diet soda every now and then, though... but I'm still interested!