Eliptical? Runners?

I'm just curious if any of you runners also use an eliptical from time to time and if so what type of workout you do on the eliptical.

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    I've started running this year and run about 25-30 miles a week. I'm also a cyclist. I use the elliptical 3-4 times a week. I do 20 minutes and do a program called Hills Plus. You have about 8 hills where the resistance changes. The hills are 1 minute in duration with a 1 minute rest between each hill. I average 10.5 mph and sprint up the hills at about 13-14mph. Mymain goal is to get my heart rate up on the hills and get it down on the rst periods. I really feel it in my quads which has really helped my cycling and running.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Thank you!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Yup. I get off the treadmill and go to the elliptical when my allergies start giving me vertigo and I'm afraid I'll fall on the treadmill, get my braid stuck in the belt, and subsequently die of embarrassment and a broken neck.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    I'm a long term runner, and I bike to cross train... Elliptical trainers make me really sea sick, so I stay off them. But I've got a stress fracture in my foot, and will likely give them a go soon to help me get back to running. On anything, I try to do a mix of intervals and LSD work.
  • If you are on any kind of a training plan for running a race, the eliptical is not a good "cross training" workout. Works same muscle groups and all that fun.

As a good substitute for a run, sure, every once in awhile.

Do I use it? No, but thats only because running outside is such a wonderful thing!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    I use it on my days off running. I currently run 3x a week (two 30-40 minute runs and one long run on Fridays) and on the other days, I either do the bike or elliptical
  • balder14
    balder14 Posts: 4 Member
    I love this!!!!!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    I use the elliptical mostly for warming up before doing weight training, but I also use it when I'm injured for low impact cardio to maintain my fitness level while I'm taking time off running.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I don't bother with the elliptical. My goal is to get better at running not doing elliptical.

I prefer to run outside though. for cross train I started lifting (just no lifting the same week as a race)