Period + workout question

Options
Hey girls, or guys who can offer insight via their wives/girlfriends experiences...

I usually have avoided exercise while my period is heavy. The last few days, not a problem, but dot the first couple. Mainly for reasons of discomfort, and mess avoidence.
Anyway, yesterday I was due to start level 2 of 30DS, and was also bleeding fairly heavily (for me).
As the day before had been a rest day, I knew I would still be heavy today, and the next two days are also rest days, I didn't want to leave it and risk not getting back into it with 5 days off in a row.
So, I knocked back a couple of painkillers, put dark pants on and went ahead and did it.

Now, normally I'm super-heavy for about 6 hours, then just heavy for the next 2 days. But this was nearly 24 hours ago and I'm still super-heavy. So it's really out of the ordinary for me.

And I'm wondering, do you think maybe it's the exercise making it heavier? All I did was 30DS (wimpy versions).

Anyone else experience this?
It's not concerning heavy, I have no medical/pregnancy/whatever concerns, so it's not about that,. it's just out of the ordinary for me.

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Usually I find that working out (at a lower intensity) actually helps my cramps, and I've never experienced a heavier flow that I thought was related to exercise. That sucks, regardless of cause. I hope you feel better soon and that things get back to normal.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I would think that working out would help alleviate it. However, I guess all of the moving around could be what made it heavier. Maybe you'll find that it's lighter tomorrow to compensate for the heaviness today. Drink plenty of water to help alleviate any cramping and see how you feel tomorrow.
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    I continue my normal routine when I'm on mine, and a lot of moving around seems to actually help with my cramps....but it seems to make my flow a bit heavier as well. Though with mine, it usually seems to make it heavier WHILE I'm doing the moving around. It could very well be the exercise that's made it heavier than usual. I agree with the previous two...just stay hydrated and rest now :)
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls

Luckily I don't suffer cramps. i get a bit of discomfort when standing too long on the first couple of days, so the painkillers were more of a preventative, but nothing major.
    This is just an inconvenience, more than anything. And weird.

Maybe it'll finish earlier to compensate!
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My first period after I started working out was the most severe period I have ever had. I have fibroid tumors so it is not unusual for me to bleed heavily and pass big clots for several days. I seriously considered a trip to the emergency department.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Maybe it'll finish earlier to compensate!
    That'd be my expectation/hope. Gettin' it all out early!
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I workout like any other day, just be careful, I'd rather use tampons, I feel safe, clean, more comfortable and there's no risk of any mess in there...
    Concerned about your flux I'd say try to workout these days like any other and in a few months you'll see the difference :) maybe it's something you ate - example for me if I drink too much alcohol during this time it's crazy, so I avoid the most I can - but if will make you more comfortable call your doctor and ask, i'm sure she/he will know better :) but the tendency is to relieve pains, cramps, etc... :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    SgSSrje.jpg

Sorry, I'm really no help, I get mine for 3 days a month and it's barely there, so much so that I often freak myself out thinking DEAR LORD I BETTER NOT BE PREGNANT. But I thought the least I could do was give you a good giggle.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I use to not want to move on my period especially to do exercise, and yes, exercise made it worse for me flow-wise.
    Now I just use a menstrual cup and I could care less.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    SgSSrje.jpg

Sorry, I'm really no help, I get mine for 3 days a month and it's barely there, so much so that I often freak myself out thinking DEAR LORD I BETTER NOT BE PREGNANT. But I thought the least I could do was give you a good giggle.

It did, LOL!
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    Now I just use a menstrual cup and I could care less.

I do too, but when the 3-hourly emptyings last longer than the usual half a day, it gets old REALLY fast.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't do anything resembling working out at that time of the month. I would faint and/or barf.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No, that's never happened. In fact, doing 30DS during my period actually shortened the length down. I noticed flow stopped for several hours after doing 30DS..

My flow used to be bad... when I didn't workout, when my body wasn't used to it. Now my body is used to me treating it right all month long and I have no cramps, regular flow.

Now, have you lost a lot of weight recently.. let's say in the last 1-3 cycles? Sometimes large losses or changes in body composition can cause your periods to be heavier at first but eventually they even out..