Replies

• pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have 1 serving every night 1half cup.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you're going to save up 300 calories, then have actual real ice cream.

Aye, ^^this^^
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! I eat Edy's slow churned .5 cup every night and it is worth every single calorie that I work off in the gym. In the long run not depriving yourself will help make you successful in keeping up with this healthy lifestyle. Eat on!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i eat ice cream just about every single night. Not the sugar free stuff either. I eat the good stuff. I don't feel a bit guilty. No reason to.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    OK- so I have gotten into a habit of eating low sugar gluten free ice cream for my snack at night. I save about 300 calories just so I can indulge in the rich, cold, creaminess! I really feel guilty about eating this even though it is within my caloric intake. What are your thoughts on saving calories so you can enjoy a daily treat?

I'm not sure low sugar gf "ice cream" qualifies as ice cream

QFT
  • ebonyjoy79
    ebonyjoy79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think its fine as long as you stay within your goal for the day . You should try skinny cow ice cream or frozen yogurt its great !
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Actually, the ice cream that I eat is not marketed as GF. You have to actually read ingredients and determine for yourself.

Turkey Hill notes which flavors of their ice cream are gluten free on their website. Helpful information.
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do it if it makes you happy!! You will still lose weight (within calories) AND you get something you love! WIN!WIN!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a serving of ice-cream every day, and did so from about 2 months into me starting on here. I usually have full fat like Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, Talenti or Jeni's but also eat Edy's slow churn if the full fat stuff do not work into my macros easily.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Look into Jeni's - a bunch of theirs does not include gluten (or at least I do not think it does) - it is a bit pricey but totally worth it.

http://www.jenis.com/pages/ingredients-nutritional-information.html
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie plan and you're still getting your daily nutritional needs met, what's to feel guilty about?

I couldn't agree more! I made Ebelsivers tonight, blueberry and banana...omg were they delicious. I don't feel one bit of shame :drinker:

Even though I'm watching my calories like a hawk, I try to keep things in prospective. I read a sad post the other day where the OP felt as though she had ruined her diet because she ate 1/2 cup of ice cream even though it was within her limit. That kind of made me feel sad for her & reminded me to mind the deep end :wink:

edited for typos
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make protein ice cream every other night lol. 1 cup of it is 117 cals!

1/4 cup 0% greek yogart
    1/4 cup 0% cottage cheese
    1/2 cup milk of choice
    1 tsp extract
    1 tbs fat free sugar free pudding mix of choice!

My fav is mint extract & pistachio pudding
    second fav
    butterscotch and van extract :)

pop it in the ice cream maker OR freeze for about an hr AMAZING and guilt free!!
  • Sunpeakpeach3
    Options
    i'm not going to lie i do the same thing! lol i'll run a little more if i know I am craving something haha :)
  • rm7161
    Options
    OK- so I have gotten into a habit of eating low sugar gluten free ice cream for my snack at night. I save about 300 calories just so I can indulge in the rich, cold, creaminess! I really feel guilty about eating this even though it is within my caloric intake. What are your thoughts on saving calories so you can enjoy a daily treat?

There is nothing wrong with eating low sugar ice cream... ignore the poptart eaters :)

It's there for a reason, for people who need that kind of thing. Sucralose is safe and it makes for a decent ice cream for folks who would not ordinarily be able to indulge.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting the nutrition you need. Then if you have room in your calories, enjoy!
    I couldn't do that everyday, but I can fit in a piece of dark chocolate.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    strawberryicecream.jpg

YUMMY Ice Cream
  • rm7161
    Options
    Ok how does ice cream have gluten in it? It is a dairy product, not a grain! And just because it is gluten free, doesn't mean it is healthy.

I have Celiac Disease so I have to be very careful about gluten. Many additives and fillers actually contain gluten- you cannot always go by identifying the word "wheat". While there are a lot of gluten free ice creams, there are many that are not.

I have it too, and yes, I agree with you. I am glad for Turkey Hill. They make some really awesome ice cream and a large variety of their flavors are gluten free. (not all, but most)

To the brainiacs who don't think GF ice cream is ice cream, uhh. Unless you are putting something like cookies in it, ice cream made traditionally has no gluten in it. Sometimes it's added as a flavoring or a binder, but in premium ice creams this is not at all the case unless it has something added that would have gluten (like cookies).

Normal flavors, like chocolate, vanilla... should be gluten free. But sometimes malt is added as a flavoring in some brands and this is what causes a problem for celiacs. And cheaper varieties of ice cream often have binders that have gluten in them.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream, but... real ice cream. Not some kind of light/diet ice cream.
  • rm7161
    Options
    I eat ice cream, but... real ice cream. Not some kind of light/diet ice cream.

Not everyone has the same goals. Some folks have diabetes, other folks are looking to get a sweet in while losing weight.

Also, the lighter ice creams have a better nutritional profile. More protein, less fat. I like the light ice cream I eat. It's not sugar free (though it has a sugar free variety, as well as a premium variety), but I like that it's got the profile I'm looking for in a sweet at the end of the day.

Same reason I choose Luna Protein and Kind bars over a Snickers :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Heck yes - I had 400 calories left a couple days ago and had 1 whole cup (about 340 cals) of full fat, full sugar ice cream. Normally, if I have ice cream it is no more than 1/2 cup, so that felt extra indulgent. If I am going to have it, I want the real stuff!