Potassium?

Options
ElizIvory
ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
I am wondering, does anyone have suggestions on how to up my potassium with out a supplement?

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Coconut water, V8 juice, turnips & parsnips (see recipe I posted).
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Eat oranges, apricots and bananas. Also I believe the skin on potatos is a reasonable source of potassium. Lite salt has a fair amount of potassium as well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Bananas!! :bigsmile:
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and veggies
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    specifically sweet potatoes and broccili and brussel sprouts
  • MikeNoTalent
    MikeNoTalent Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Apple juice is good and hell yeah on sweet potatoes J4nash!
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Baked Potato 1645g potass
    Small 6" banana 362g potass
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Baked sweet potato...bananas...low sodium V8 vegetable juice....DO NOT TAKE POTASSIUM supplements. If you're doctor finds out, he will beat you about the head and shoulders. I've been told you only take those under a doctor's strict watchful eye.

I won't post any links just Google the dangers of potassium supplements.
  • dj7879
    dj7879 Posts: 22
    Options
    V8 is what i drink to boost my potassium. I have found two types though. There is one that only has 300 and something mg. The other one has over 1100mg. Check the label.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Dried apricots are a great portable snack, loaded with potassium :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    potatoes, bananas
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Everything coconut, potatoes, bananas as others have said. All fruits and vegetables, and it's also true that many foods just don't have potassium listed even though it's in them - like meat/fish. fish is a huge source of potassium

also, MFP has Potassium set too low. The RDA is actually 4,700mg - not 3,500.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    if you drink V8, just make sure it's the original and not V8 Splash or whatever the fruity ones are. Those are all high fructose corn syrup and you're not getting the real fruit you think you are.

also fruit juices in general are LOADED with sugar. there are better options.
  • kateroseearly
    Options
    Lots of fruits, veggies, and meats. Basically, not pre-made foods. Also, beware, I recently learned that boiling can remove potassium in some foods -- not gonna go into the chemistry -- but try steaming or baking potatoes instead, for example.
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Switch your salt from sodium to potassium. (Check the label)
    Switch your sweetener to Blackstrap Molasses (730mg per tablespoon!)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Bananas
    Kiwi
    Coffee!
    Milk
    Yogurt
    Strawberries
    Artichokes
    Oranges
    Avocados
    Spinach
    Asparagus

Good stuff!
  • lakeashton
    Options
    I run very low potassium levels and V-8 keeps me level.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    White Potatos I love Raw Potatos. Also Raw fruits the skins are loaded with them apples, rasberries ect ect ect.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Practically all food has potassium in it, it's completely a non-issue which is why it's not required to be listed on labels, which is why it's not listed on foods in the MFP user created database.

I'm assuming of course that you are relying on the information on the MFP database, and that is why you are concerned that you are not hitting the 3500mg target?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Practically all food has potassium in it, it's completely a non-issue which is why it's not required to be listed on labels, which is why it's not listed on foods in the MFP user created database.

I'm assuming of course that you are relying on the information on the MFP database, and that is why you are concerned that you are not hitting the 3500mg target?

it's not a non-issue. if you eat a lot of processed foods you're less likely to be getting the amount you need. and the RDA is 4,700mg