Do you Hide Your Diary???

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you hide it, you may as well not even log it.

Why?
    I keep a diary to track my calories, and how I feel each day, to help determine which foods I am sensitive to.
    I don't hide it, it's private. If I cheat, I would only be cheating myself.
    I think people would be more inclined to cheat on their logs if they knew everyone could see it.

^^This girl nailed it!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My Diary isn't "hidden" it's "private" ... Honestly, I'm not real interested in what others are eating, and some who want to look are probably just being nosy. Someone un- friended me because my diary wasn't view-able. There are some people here who have hundreds of pounds to lose and some who've never been over 200 pounds in their life. Everyone is on THEIR OWN journey some may need the accountability to be successful some may not. Whatever the case I respect that.

I agree.... I personally keep mine private because when I cheat as we all have done, I know that if I thought the world was going to judge me or point out my errors like I didn't know I'd made a bad choice, I would just not log it, and that wouldn't help me in any way. It's my diary, its personal, and when I go over I log it, I see where I went wrong and I correct it. Having it open to the world would make me lie.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Why?
    I keep a diary to track my calories, and how I feel each day, to help determine which foods I am sensitive to.
    I don't hide it, it's private. If I cheat, I would only be cheating myself.
    I think people would be more inclined to cheat on their logs if they knew everyone could see it.

^^This girl nailed it!

100% Logging is to help you and no one else, the poster that wrote that you might as well not log it misses the point of keeping a food journal. I use this internet tool, but if I kept a paper journal instead no one on here would see it, why should they see my digital record? I'm accountable to myself and no one else.
  • trixie5059
    trixie5059 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have never seen an open diary. Mine is for myself, and everyone else that I know here on MFP does not have an open diary.
    HMMMM something to think about.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mine is private. I'm pretty self-aware. I know what my faults are and I know when I've made a good or bad decision. I log everything and many times I will pass on eating something because I know I'm going to have to see it in my log.

If I was posting and asking for help, I would certainly open it. But honestly, I've read so many of those posts that I've got a pretty good checklist of things to look for if my weight loss stalls.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

I HAVE READ YOUR POST AND AS ALL OF US ARE INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE , ON DIFFERENT JOURNEY'S, ON DIFFERENT DIETS AND HAVE DIFFERENT LIFESTYLES, ALL OF OUR ANSWERS ARE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS, AND THAT'S OK.

HOWEVER WE USE THE TOOLS , FRIENDSHIPS, AND SUPPORT IS AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE, LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES.

I TOO HAVE LEFT MY DIARY OPEN, CLOSED IT AND REOPENED IT ALL FOR PERSONAL REASONS. I FOUND MY SELF NOT WANTING TO POST BECAUSE I WENT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NOT EATING MUCH OF ANYTHING, THEN I WOULD GO FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS EATING THINGS I FELT WEREN'T GOOD FOR ME OR I FELT EMBARRASSED TO LOG SOMETHING I ATE OR A DAY OF EATING THIS WAY AND SOMETIMES I JUST DIDN'T FEEL LIKE MESSING WITH THE LOGGING.

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYONE BE MEAN TO ME ABOUT IT , MFP FRIENDS HAVE ASKED ME IF I WAS OK? ASKED IF I HAD A BAD DAY OR WHY I CLOSED IT I HAVE BEEN ASKED ABOUT WHAT I EAT AND WHY AND ABOUT SOME OF THE "STUFF" ON MY DIARY, I HAVE HAD OTHERS MAKE COMMENTS THAT I NEEDED TO EAT MORE CALORIES ETC, BUT IT WAS NEVER MADE WITH MALICE, ONLY WITH CARING AND LOVE IN THERE HEARTS. I COULD HAVE CHOSE TO RESPOND BACK IN A NEGATIVE WAY OR A MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS ATTITUDE BUT I DIDN'T LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES.

SOON AFTER I STARTED ON MFP , I REALIZED THAT MY MFP FAMILY OF FRIENDS WERE ALL ON HERE FOR A LOT OF DIFFERENT REASONS, MY DAUGHTER IN LAW IS ON MFP AND HAS NO FRIENDS NOT EVEN ME, AS SHE USES IT FOR A TRACKING TOOL ONLY, OTHERS USE IT FOR SUPPORT AND FRIENDSHIP, WHATEVER YOUR REASON IS , IF ITS WORKING FOR YOU GO FOR IT.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS , THAT SOME MFP FRIENDS ARE TRYING TO LOSE A FEW #'S SOME A LOT MORE THEN A FEW , SOME ARE TRYING TO GAIN WEIGHT, SOME TO MAINTAIN THEIR WEIGHT , SOME JUST TRYING TO TRACK THEIR CALORIES AND OTHERS THEIR EXERCISE, SOME HAVE HAD SURGERY AND OTHERS ARE ON MEDICATION, SOME HAVE ILLNESSES OR CANCER, SOME LIKE MYSELF EVEN THOUGHT I HAVE A LARGE FAMILY AND FRIENDSHIP BASE WASN'T GETTING THE FEEDBACK THAT I NEEDED FOR A WOMAN MY AGE, AND THAT'S ANOTHER THING... WHAT WORKS FOR A YOUNGER PERSON DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK FOR AN OLDER PERSON , INCLUDING DIET, EXERCISE AND MOTIVATION.ALSO WHAT WORKS FOR A MAN DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK FOR A WOMEN

DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR YOUR SELF AND BE KIND TO OTHERS, AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY PLEASE DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL, IF YOU CANT SAY IT IN A LOVING KIND AND HEARTFELT WAY , LIFE IS FULL OF BULLIES WE DON'T NEED IT ON MFP .WE BEAT OUR SELVES UP ENOUGH.

AND YES.. I KNOW I TYPE IN CAPS, THAT'S A PERSONAL CHOICE FOR PERSONAL AND MEDICAL REASONS, SO PLEASE DON'T TRY TO BULLY ME. I'VE HAD ENOUGH NEGATIVENESS IN MY LIFE. AND IT ISNT HURTING ANYONE, JUST LIKE OPENING OR CLOSING YOUR DIARY.

MAY THE GOOD LORD BRING MANY BLESSINGS YOUR WAY

GG
  • amynicole0410
    Options
    I'm much more comfortable with keeping my food tracking very personal and private. I think I'm more honest with it that way and I rarely have "bad" days.
  • kats3boys
    kats3boys Posts: 61
    Options
    Mine is closed..I was having some health issues and decided not to log on MFP..but I promised myself and others come Jan/2013 I would be back to logging no matter what.. come Jan 1st I was in bed with the flu..but I logged it..all 300-500 calories days for I think 3 days in a row.

I did not post, I did not ask for help... I was lucky if I got off the couch and the only exercise was the bathroom dash.
    People I did not know sent me messages.. I was in starvation mode, I needed to eat more, exercise more, some of them were not exactly friendly ( I am guessing someone saw it and passed it on to friends?)

I am still on walking only for exercise, and I average 1200-1400 calories a day.

I already know from reading the posts, if you are under 1200 or you don't exercise or eat back exercise calories, you don't post about it..I don't need someone looking at my diary to tell me that.
  • katebigue
    katebigue Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mines is set to private. And days when I see I mess up I work out twice as hard the next day. It works for me that way because I don't want someone saying your should be having this and this and not that.. I use it push my self and motivate my self more and more. I find it a good tool for me too when I'm having a bad day and go back to the day before and go you messed up pull yourself back together.
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    I keep mine private, even to friends. I know and understand my struggles, and I feel like others commenting would do more damage than good. I may be here for accountability, but I don't think that means I need to let people see every little tidbit. Being here is where the accountability comes in for me. I don't log the food for others, just to help myself keep track :)
  • Hungryeyz
    Hungryeyz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good or bad, it's always on display. Keeps me accountable.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private, because I dont follow MFP rec's, I follow a primal/low carb plan with plenty of fat. It's okay to eat pop tarts as long as you're within your calorie limit, but not bacon... go figure?!
  • ednaemerson
    ednaemerson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't feel my dairy is hidden. It is for my info on how I am doing with sodium, carbs etc. I am an adult and can make my own choices that I can live with to lose weight. I would never comment on anyone elses eating habits. I am just here to encourage my friends.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I do.. I can put on my big girl panties and hold myself accountable, no one elses input is really required. I'm always meeting my macro and cal goals so that's the most important. Like the last poster stated, I am also here to support my friends
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    MFP is a personal tracking tool for me, I don't want amyone's opinions on what I consume and when.

I couldn't give a monkey's what my wife thinks, never mind some random on the interwebz ;)

I like you :drinker:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I don't, but others choose to for personal reasons.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends but I don't see anything wrong with keeping it private. There is no one who is more critical of what I eat than I am and I don't log for feedback from others. It's for my benefit and to help me learn portion control. What others think of what I eat isn't really a concern for me and having people see my diary won't make me more accountable but I understand how that does help some people.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. There are days I don't hit the complete entry button because I don't want the added scrutiny that calling attention to a competed log can bring, but I still log everything.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Mine is veiwable to friends. I only have female friends.:smokin:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

i think that's a little extreme. people join MFP to keep a food and exercise log for their own personal reasons. while i agree having an extra set of eyes is helpful, it is a personal preference. as long as you can seriously look at your diary with an objective eye, you won't need anyone else's input.

This.

Not everyone cares to have an open diary. Logging your diet makes you more likely to lose weight and keep it off... with or without people seeing it.