Full time student with limited time for exercise: Ideas?

Options
I keep seeing people on here saying they go to the gym 6 days a week or burn 500 calories a day. I can go to the gym at my school and workout for a whole hour and only burn at max of 350 calories. I use my school gym but I only have limited times to go since I don't live on campus. What are some of the best exercises for people on the go/busy? I want to burn that many calories!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred
  • Cook_27
    Cook_27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is that a video I can buy or? I keep hearing people talk about it
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You can buy it.. I suggest though to go on Youtube as all three workouts/levels are up there for free :-)
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    walk- walk everywhere... take the steps, skip the elevators. Park in the farthest lot and walk to class. Jog across campus. Put on a pedometer and get those 10,000 steps in! Good luck!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah its a dvd by Jillian Michaels. A lot of people on this site have posted very positive outcomes from using that DVD. Also keep in mind that the calories some people have logged may not be entirely accurate. Heart rate monitors fix this to some extent.
  • blackmagic25
    blackmagic25 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    insanity,p90x,insanity the asylum vol1 and 2 pick your poison
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walking. On some days I skip the gym, skip anything else except walking. I get in about 25,000 daily
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I dont live on campus but i'm a student and I can work out 6-7 times a day and work and spend pretty much all day on mfp as well.

so pick two: doing well in school, working out, and sleep. Whichever two you pick, eliminate the third cause it's impossible to do all three.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There's no need to burn that many calories to lose weight, especially if you don't have that much time.

The more people weigh, the more calories they will burn doing the same thing you might burn half the calories at, so take that into consideration, too.
  • Cook_27
    Options
    Did you try the 30day shred? What were your results?
  • Cook_27
    Options
    True, I just couldn't believe how many calories people were burning! Aint nobody got time fo that!haha
  • Cook_27
    Options
    I am actually surprised how many calories you burn from brisk walking. I have to walk across campus everyday so that's something
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As a student, I used to do quick work outs (~20 minutes) between classes at my university's gym. Of course, it's not a lot, but something is much better than nothing. I also walked pretty much everywhere (even though I took the bus/drove into campus, my campus was pretty spread out, so walking from building to building with a heavy backpack was actually good activity). Also, making it a rule to always use the stairs is good, too.

Of course, it is harder to measure calories burned for those activities that are "every day life" sorts of things. Maybe then change your settings to light/moderately active?

Also, I keep hearing good things about the 30DS (~20min workout)... I'm waiting for my DVD to come in!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Lift. Check out 5/3/1. Just go four days a week, two squat/bench days and two OHP/dead lift days. You can add in accessory work as desired (whatever you have time for). You can get in and out of the gym in no time. Cardio is definitely optional. Just lift.
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Went to youtube and watched a bit of level 1. No idea how I'll do, but I'm game. I'm gonna give it a try. I don't have a ton of time, so I may start slow, but I think I can do it :)
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am a full time graduate student and also have a busy schedule. I wake up at 5:15 am to get in my 1 hour at the gym as it is the only time I can manage to do so.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your body composition and/or fitness goals?
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    I am a full time nursing student and have 2 small children. if I can find time to to work out, so can you. If you can't find time to do it it the gym, there is always weights, youtube and your living room.
  • Cook_27
    Options
    I'm 5' 7 and started at 150 but now down to 146. I want to get down to 130 ideally
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance, Zumba burns a lot of calories fast.