TDEE and BMR seem high

Options
Anyone else think their numbers seem high? I'm 32, weigh 246 and am 5'10". I put in light activity (I'm not really exercising yet) and my BMR is anywhere from 1800-1900 no matter which calculator I use. My TDEE has been anywhere between 2600 and 3200 depending on the calculator. Any insight?? MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1540, but if that's really below my BMR, isn't that bad? I've been hanging steady at around 1450 calorie-wise....I'm just getting started on this journey, and my numbers just seem so far skewed from others comparable to me.

Replies

• Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been wondering the same thing..I have gone to the fit2ratio sit and scooby site and they both figure my BMR is 1600..and my TDEE is 2200..and MFP sets me at 1550..I dont think its good because i wake up in the night hungry and I am feeling very tired during the day trying to stay under 1550 when my BMR is 1600..I am working out hard everyday as well.

Someone give us some good advice please..Thanks
  • Cassea7
    Options
    By the way I think your BMR and TDEE sounds right to me..Your height and weight
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I haven't been hungry at all, and I've had more energy recently, which is why I'm even more confused. My diary is open, and I have only been eating well for a couple of weeks, but it's definitely sustainable for me. I'm just worried I should be eating more.
  • lustingforfitness
    Options
    You both could be eating a lot more and still able to lose weight. If you're waking up in the middle of the night hungry and fatigued throughout the day, that is a huge sign you're not eating enough or fueling your body well enough!

You know BMR and TDEE so I imagine you've already read this thread, but I'm going to post it anyway: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    It explains the whole thing in depth so if you only skimmed it over the first time, I suggest rereading it more closely.

Also I would eat back at least some of your exercise calories! Depending on how much you weigh and how much you're burning, eating only 1500 a day might be far too low for your body's needs!
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been wondering the same thing..I have gone to the fit2ratio sit and scooby site and they both figure my BMR is 1600..and my TDEE is 2200..and MFP sets me at 1550..I dont think its good because i wake up in the night hungry and I am feeling very tired during the day trying to stay under 1550 when my BMR is 1600..I am working out hard everyday as well.

After reading an article about protein, I changed my ratios to 30/30/40% for protein/carb/fat. MFP has the carbs defaulted to about 50 or 55%, which could be why you are very hungry?

Shooting under the BMR is fine; I believe the calorie allowance is based on how much you want to lose in a week. However, you don't want your body to feel like it's starving & freak out by decreasing your metabolism. So, it's okay if you go over your BMR rate occasionally to prevent this. Balance has worked well for me. Although, the more I exercise, the higher the caloric allowance I can eat! Meaning, I can have small pieces of my old favorite foods & not feel deprived, as this is a change in lifestyle. (Carbs are my Fav!!!) I am just cautious to not go over my carbs, fat, sodium, & sugar for sure!

Are you not eating back your exercise calories? Another question is what do you have your activity level @? I moved mine from sedentary & lightly active to Active on purpose to be able to eat the higher portion of calories. I just have to push myself to do more than 10k steps/day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Mine is waaaayyy off. But that might just be me. My TDEE according to the internet is 2100-2400. However, I don't lose weight or gain at 1600-1800, working out included. So yea...might want to test it out and see where you maintain at to find your real TDEE.
  • blackermagic
    Options
    I did the calculations with BMR and TDEE also. I even put that I was really active since I run a lot. All of the calculations I have seen come out of those formulas are WAY TOO HIGH. I eat 800-1900 a day...and I am losing weight (a couple of pounds a week...although its slowed way down now). I couldn't imagine if I was to eat all of the calories that TDEE says too...I would be a blimp.

I agree with the MFP calorie goals...more realistic. But I also try to do a diet high in protein, low fat, and low carbs.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My tdee for moderate activity is 2025. I'm 5'2" and 119lbs. I can eat that no prob. My challenge comes with meeting or going over macros before hitting the goal. I just updated tdee based on the fat2fit calcs and ipoarm. Decided I didn't want to lose weight or any more muscle along with it.
  • Cassea7
    Options
    Thanks..I just reset my calories to 1800...I have lost 3 lbs this past week. and am exhausted..So I manually changed it and I am eating more protein and less carbs..my body is making muscle now and so I think its adjusting..Trial and error I guess
  • Cassea7
    Options

After reading an article about protein, I changed my ratios to 30/30/40% for protein/carb/fat. MFP has the carbs defaulted to about 50 or 55%, which could be why you are very hungry?

Shooting under the BMR is fine; I believe the calorie allowance is based on how much you want to lose in a week. However, you don't want your body to feel like it's starving & freak out by decreasing your metabolism. So, it's okay if you go over your BMR rate occasionally to prevent this. Balance has worked well for me. Although, the more I exercise, the higher the caloric allowance I can eat! Meaning, I can have small pieces of my old favorite foods & not feel deprived, as this is a change in lifestyle. (Carbs are my Fav!!!) I am just cautious to not go over my carbs, fat, sodium, & sugar for sure!

Are you not eating back your exercise calories? Another question is what do you have your activity level @? I moved mine from sedentary & lightly active to Active on purpose to be able to eat the higher portion of calories. I just have to push myself to do more than 10k steps/day.

Thanks..I have mine set at light activity..Some days i walk a lot and others less..But I just figured out how to change it manually and i think that 1800 is more realistic and if my TDEE is 2250 and I am working out a lot ...I should lose..we will see
  • Cassea7
    Options
    I haven't been hungry at all, and I've had more energy recently, which is why I'm even more confused. My diary is open, and I have only been eating well for a couple of weeks, but it's definitely sustainable for me. I'm just worried I should be eating more.

I think if you are losing weight really fast then its not too good..You should set it to at least 1800..Thats reasonable for you. I had a lot of energy at first then BOOM exhaustion..but the 30 day shred is whipping me LOL hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks..I just reset my calories to 1800...I have lost 3 lbs this past week. and am exhausted..So I manually changed it and I am eating more protein and less carbs..my body is making muscle now and so I think its adjusting..Trial and error I guess
    This is the article I found the other day. From the beginning, I went over on my protein everyday! But, I knew it was healthy...I was eating grilled chicken! lol Keep track of your diet daily. I mark the items on my page for the foods that may have put me over in a particular category. Today, I went over in fat by 10, but it was probably because the avocados & almonds I ate w/ my meals. Not worried about that. I have been pretty pleased with my results so far in a short period. I think by adding the foods, you'll feel fuller & maybe not so cold? Evaluating everyday the progress will help you & me make sure we are on the right track.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/how_protein_helps_weight_loss/
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    For someone of your weight and height, your BMR and TDEE don't sound at all unreasonable.

I am 5'0, f, and weigh 130lbs. My BMR is 1313 and my TDEE is 2300. My calorie goal is set to 2000 to lose a little over 1/2 a lb a week. I just started this, but I trust helloitsdan and heybales (the latter being more in depth with the calculations). There are hordes of people on this site who use their setup and lose so I'm giving it a few months to give it a fair shot.
  • Cassea7
    Options
    This is the article I found the other day. From the beginning, I went over on my protein everyday! But, I knew it was healthy...I was eating grilled chicken! lol Keep track of your diet daily. I mark the items on my page for the foods that may have put me over in a particular category. Today, I went over in fat by 10, but it was probably because the avocados & almonds I ate w/ my meals. Not worried about that. I have been pretty pleased with my results so far in a short period. I think by adding the foods, you'll feel fuller & maybe not so cold? Evaluating everyday the progress will help you & me make sure we are on the right track.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/how_protein_helps_weight_loss/

Thanks so much..I am very tired going to sleep now..night
  • corneredbycorn
    Options
    This is a common fallacy. Your body can't make muscle at a calorie deficit and it needs more protein than MFP suggests to do it. Nor could you be building enough muscle to impact your weight within a month (it takes ages for people who are ~trying~ to build muscle to get to that point). The deception happens because your muscles will often retain water after working out to repair them (weight goes up) and/or your body fat starts going down so they are being "uncovered" and are finally visible.
  • Cassea7
    Options
    This is a common fallacy. Your body can't make muscle at a calorie deficit and it needs more protein than MFP suggests to do it. Nor could you be building enough muscle to impact your weight within a month (it takes ages for people who are ~trying~ to build muscle to get to that point). The deception happens because your muscles will often retain water after working out to repair them (weight goes up) and/or your body fat starts going down so they are being "uncovered" and are finally visible.

Well I can see my muscles now and also am ALOT stronger..sometimes the 5 lbs seem really light and they were heavy in the beginning..3 weeks ago..So I dont quite understand? I had no strength to do a pushup one month ago..Now i can do the regular ones so it seems like I definately have MORE muscle..I am eating higher protein than MFP suggests.??????
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Well I can see my muscles now and also am ALOT stronger..sometimes the 5 lbs seem really light and they were heavy in the beginning..3 weeks ago..So I dont quite understand? I had no strength to do a pushup one month ago..Now i can do the regular ones so it seems like I definately have MORE muscle..I am eating higher protein than MFP suggests.??????

Some people would tell you the muscle fiber you already had are now stronger/more efficient because you're using them to their full potential, but not that you've specifically made more muscle fibers. Or you're having something called "newbie" gains, that people get right at the beginning of lifting weights.

I myself had trouble building actual muscle while eating at maintenance calories or a deficit -- the muscles were getting stronger, but I wasn't adding bulk and my performance wasn't improving. But I tell you, the second I ate any extra calories for a couple weeks while doing the same exercises and BOOM!!! my muscles exploded in new growth. You could physically see them getting bigger. That's what the other poster meant, I think, by saying you can't "build muscle" while eating at a deficit.
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mine are high too...but I'm 5'11. It is hard to adjust your frame of mind around higher calorie intake----especially when you're taller than most.
  • corneredbycorn
    Options

Some people would tell you the muscle fiber you already had are now stronger/more efficient because you're using them to their full potential, but not that you've specifically made more muscle fibers. Or you're having something called "newbie" gains, that people get right at the beginning of lifting weights.

I myself had trouble building actual muscle while eating at maintenance calories or a deficit -- the muscles were getting stronger, but I wasn't adding bulk and my performance wasn't improving. But I tell you, the second I ate any extra calories for a couple weeks while doing the same exercises and BOOM!!! my muscles exploded in new growth. You could physically see them getting bigger. That's what the other poster meant, I think, by saying you can't "build muscle" while eating at a deficit.
    Exactly. :)