Clean eating vs 'Normal' eating?

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
Has anyone seen any significant changes in fat loss by eating 'normally' ie. not really moderating their fat or carb intake and eating high GI or sugary, processed foods?

I've seen a lot of people on here advocate eating normally and even by eating high carb/high sugar diets while weight training and say that they have been able to get a lean body that way but others swear by low carb diets or eating clean ie. nothing processed and lean meat, fish and fruit/veg etc.

So far I've not seen the results I'd hoped for and I've been training 6 days a week for the last 11 weeks and was using light weights 4 days a week but have now changed to lifting heavy 2-3 days a week. Although I am able to stick to a specific calorie intake (calculated as TDEE -20-25% at present) and I've generally tried to keep my carbs under 100g 90% of the time and protein above 100g I haven't really looked at my fat intake (although I've tried to avoid too much saturated fat, and have been eating 'good' fats).

Do people generally think that clean eating makes a big difference? I saw a 4 week eating plan in one of my fitness magazines which I could easily follow and which contained things like a lot of fish, chicken, eggs, avocados, nuts, salads without dressings and wholegrains and it would be a bit of a sacrifice for me to eat like that as I hate fish and don't really like chicken that much and I love sauces and dressings, although I always count the calories contained in them. I already try and eat some of those foods anyway but eat a lot more red meat and processed meats like ham and bacon although I always drain the fat from meat when cooking. I also eat quite a lot of cheese like cheddar or blue cheese but this plan tells me to eat cottage chesses (which I already eat from time to time now but also dislike) and feta. Although I eat lower carb I generally don't restrict the types of carbs I eat so I do eat sugary cereals, white bread and white rice/pasta.

Any success with or without clean eating and did you see results quicker when eating clean?

Replies

• JAT74
    Options
    Bump
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I eat "normally" and I have lost about 2 stone (28lbs) and have stayed this weight for over a year. Sometimes I think people overthink this stuff a bit too much. But I suppose it is whatever works for you.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Personally I still eat processed crap and my body fat % has gone down along with my inches. I'm not saying it is super healthy, I'm saying it is possible.

I think the difference with "eating clean" is that you get calories without excess crap (sodium being the biggest one I have noticed).

So I won't spit at eating clean, but I don't think that you HAVE to. It probably doesn't hurt really, but I don't think that if you eat processed junk you're the devil or anything.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i eat healthily but normally. 12 kg in 80 days. . .
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    im curious about this thread. Ive been asking the same question to so many people. I eat normally and have mnaged to loose bf before. It when you eat rather than what you eat in accordance with your exercise regime.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Sorry but eating "normal" is eating clean!

Eating a bunch of processed chemicals that aren't even food should not be considered the norm (regardless of whether it fits your calories or macros)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Whole foods. Eating enough so that it fulfills your needs - not your cravings. Avoiding processed foods.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food including ice cream, cake, mc donalds, pizza (obviously all in moderation) and I've lost over 70lbs.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie... Some foods will help you stay full longer though and help with binge eating. I've found if I eat more proteins and fiber I'm less likely to snack in between meals :)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is a stupid term with no clear definition. Everybody has a different idea of what it is. It seems to promote food avoidance with no basis whatsoever. Avoiding certain foods because it is deemed "unclean" is moronic. With that being said. Eating normally doesn't mean one should go to extremes with how they eat. Common sense should be observed. Foods should consists of mostly whole and minimally processed foods and also getting a decent amount of fibre. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would understand that.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is a stupid term with no clear definition. Everybody has a different idea of what it is. It seems to promote food avoidance with no basis whatsoever. Avoiding certain foods because it is deemed "unclean" is moronic. With that being said. Eating normally doesn't mean one should go to extremes with how they eat. Common sense should be observed. Foods should consists of mostly whole and minimally processed foods and also getting a decent amount of fibre. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would understand that.

Avoid foods that are actually not foods, but produced in a chemical lab. How is this moronic?

Just eat real food.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Years ago, I've tried the "clean eating" for around 6 months (Mediterranean diet) and didn't really notice a difference.

I use to eat a lot of olive oil(as the diet suggest). Maybe if I did everything else and omitted the olive oil I might have lost some weight instead of staying the same weight.

I suspect that Eating "Clean" may help out a little. But, don't look for a miracle.

It all comes down to calories in vs calories out.

I am doing IF(intermittently fasting) and IIFYM (If it fit your macro). Working pretty good so far and much easier to do than "eating clean".
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I know that by calories in vs calories out will make you drop weight no matter what you eat. Am I right in thinking along the lines that you mean does eating the prcessed stuff involve losing lean muscle as well as fat? I am trying to concentrate more on losing body fat but want to do it without becoming 'skinny fat'. I am making sure I hit my protein macros intake while I lift 3 times a week also. Other than that, I am not too sure if eating your other macros in some processed stuff will matter but i'd like to know as well. I think a little compromise is ok. I like the odd bit of gravy with my chicken, some squash, some savoury rice etc but I try to eat the majority of my days in good foods and hit my macros.
  • JAT74
    Options
    I know the term 'clean' isn't great but I just generally meant by eating natural foods in their natural form ie. without any additives. For example if I eat Spaghetti bolognese I normally use a bought tomato sauce rather than cooking my own as it's quicker, although if I have more time I'll make one myself by using chopped tomatoes, herbs, onion, garlic etc.

I am generally quite sensible but if I want white bread from time to time (sticking within my lower carb daily intake) or cereal with sugar in it I do. I also eat desserts and ice cream or some pizza and other 'bad' foods once or twice a week as long as they're within my calories.

I try and avoid a lot of saturated fat and try to eat fibre and if available I'll eat brown rice or wholegrain bread but if not I'll eat white flour, white rice etc. I don't have sugar in tea or coffee and try to avoid fruit juice and most days don't have any form of dessert.

I was just curious as to whether or not people have success with fat loss specifically by eating like I do (not going overboard by eating a lot of high saturated fat foods or very sugary foods all the time) that's all.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Avoid foods that are actually not foods, but produced in a chemical lab. How is this moronic?

Just eat real food.

Ya, but "clean" includes a lot of other ideas very often. Like not eating dairy, certain kinds of meat, potatoes. You dig them right out of the dirt.
  • oncearound
    oncearound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you have to eat to sustain the lifestyle that you want. For me personally, if I went the 'clean' eating way, I would never sustain it because I just don't want to. I like the processed food stuff that I eat. I do eat 'clean' foods when I want them, but I love my pizza, icecream, etc. I work ridiculous hours, have two teenage boys, a busy husband, and try to make some time for me in there somewhere. I just don't worry about what is 'clean' and what isn't. I eat what I like in MODERATION and stay within or just below my calorie limits and I am losing weight without any trouble. I eat to feel comfortably full and when I want that monster icecream sundae with every topping under the moon, I will indulge ONCE IN AWHILE. I want to keep this body I am working to achieve and eating 'clean' and not 'normal' just won't work for me because I would not be happy and content with what I am doing. I have lost 16 pounds in just a little over 8 weeks by cutting down the portion sizes of 'normal' food and starting to work out. Good luck with whichever you choose.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Mich, I'm with you. I'm very strict when it comes to staying within my calories and try and stick within my macros but I'll eat a little cheese if it fits into my day etc.

If necessary I'll take the next step and switch to 'cleaner' foods but I know I'd be miserable eating plain grilled fish and veg with brown rice rather than a chicken breast in a small burger bun with some salad, light mayo and bacon with the fat cut off! I never eat butter or cream and use olive oil for cooking (which I measure out) and if I have pasta I'll have a tiny portion but I was just wondering whether I need to cut out these types of things altogether to lose the fat. I am determined to get there!

Intermittent fasting is something I've thought about as I've tried it before (with an 8 hour eating window) but that didn't really make any difference. I've thought about trying a 5:2 method instead which is the latest craze in the UK. I'm currently doing TDEE -25% eating 1450 during the week and I eat 2150 at weekends so I guess I could change it to having 2 days of much lower calories (750 for example) then 3 days of 1950 and a tiny bit more at weekends.

Does anyone think this would work? I'd have to stop working out on the low days that's the only problem and I love getting in my workouts each day. Is there any real benefit to intermittent fasting?
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sorry but eating "normal" is eating clean!

Eating a bunch of processed chemicals that aren't even food should not be considered the norm (regardless of whether it fits your calories or macros)

Exactly - processed junk is not food and why do so many people seem to think it's weird to eat real food? I'm in no way fanatical or obsessive about food but the thought of putting a lot of what is sold as 'food' into my mouth just makes me feel sick! I guess it's a matter of personal choice but if you care about your health and that of your family just use some common sense about what you eat. Enjoy food but don't poison your body.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Just eat real food.

Nice strawman.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yes but the majority of what I eat is 'real' food, although I have other things which some would consider as not 'real' but chemicals. Most days I have a protein shake, I also eat a yogurt often for breakfast (either fat free or sometimes greek style (full fat) with sugar added) along with an oat based cereal (also containing added sugar etc.) and I eat white bread, rice, pasta etc. although in moderation.

I have packaged ham, although often it's Spanish serrano and sometimes ham off the bone which is not so processed and I eat a lot of good fats like nuts and avocado but I also eat cheese and some sauces, pate etc.

I wouldn't say I eat a lot of highly processed foods and often my meals contain meat or fish in their natural forms but I wouldn't say I eat completely clean as I don't eat food without sauces that often. I love desserts and ice cream but try and have 70% dark chocolate instead of a mars bar for example and if I eat other desserts it's not very often.