Any Roller girls or roller derby fans out there?

Options
I am joining a roller derby team, and there is nothing in the exercise list for that!!! I know it's a great workout however. Not sure how many calories burned in a hour, since it's stop/go/stop/go, bursts of energy (although practices are more go go go!) Any derby girls or fans out there?

Replies

• amagostinelli
    Options
    Roller Derby girl here. LOVE it! Started doing roller derby 5 months ago, which was my initial motivator that helped me lose 20 lbs since then (I know my ticker only says 13 lbs, but that's because I gained some after initially signing up on MFP). Remotivated and loving it. #RollerDerbySavedMeInMoreWaysThanOne
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends is a roller girl, and since I've started going to her matches, I'm really getting into the sport. Looking forward to next season.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    In for the roller girls.

:love:
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was on a local fresh meat team for about a year before recurring hip & ankle injuries forced me to stop skating. I NSO for the league (Emerald City Roller Girls) now. :)
  • Cristie_Slack
    Cristie_Slack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Derby girl here! I love that I searched roller derby in the forum topics and got so many results! I've been playing for about 3 years, and I love it!!
  • lorilynne66
    lorilynne66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for try-outs on March 23...so psyched!!!
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just started "derby bootcamp" with Jet City in WA last weekend. I would LOVE to see a derby board on here! I'm already in love with the sport and would especially love a place to talk to vets and other newbies :)
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Present and accounted for! I've been a roller girl since I was 15.
  • Cristie_Slack
    Cristie_Slack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know Jet City's old coach! He moved to VA and reffed for my old league. From what he said they are a fantastic league! Good choice for your first team! :)
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know Jet City's old coach! He moved to VA and reffed for my old league. From what he said they are a fantastic league! Good choice for your first team! :)

Sweet! I'm realizing what a small world derby is, and I like that there is a lot of support on these boards. I literally just started (this past weekend was my second week of practices) but Jet City seems like a pretty organized, if large, league. They also seem to have a good, solid reputation so I'm glad to know that it was a good choice.

Practices seriously can't come fast enough for me :) I'm getting addicted to being on skates!
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I play for the Detroit Derby Girls
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the practice. I've had 1,000 calorie burns, but it changes. I use a bodymedia fit armband thing that tracks how how many calories I burn throughout the day.

It's definitely a great workout.

There's a roller derby group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/729-roller-derby
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    Love love love roller derby :D
    There is a team right around the corner from me at the skating rink and I have always wanted to join.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    roller girl here! I have actually lost about a stone already just through starting derby and still eating ****. Trying to sort that second part out now- I want to skate faster!!

:D
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I track it as rollerskating but I don't trust the calories. It must be quite a lot burned though, especially doing back-to-back drills at practice, it's knackering!
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a heart rate monitor to practice and the reading seems to be averaging 1000 per 2 hour practicce after subtacting bmr. I plan on doing it for 10 times and averaging them out.