Clean eating vs 'Normal' eating?

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry but eating "normal" is eating clean!

Eating a bunch of processed chemicals that aren't even food should not be considered the norm (regardless of whether it fits your calories or macros)

Absolutely. I agree with this. I eat healthily and what I consider normally. For some reason that expression 'eating clean' really annoys me.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be patient but after 11 weeks of logging everything, sticking within my calories and working out 6 days a week I'm getting a little frustrated which is why I asked this question! I think they key for me will be finding the exact number of calories my body needs each week in order to lose but that isn't easy when you've followed lots of advice and used many online calculators and it doesn't seem to work!

For me personally I don't think eating clean would be that hard as I'm already halfway there and my diet is probably 80% clean already. I may just cut down on red meat a little more and try and eat more of the fish I can stomach and have it naturally instead of as fish fingers which I've been doing recently.

I just need to find a way to lose the fat and I am hoping that a combination of cutting calories a little more over the week and eating more healthily also during weekdays will do the trick. I don't buy or keep any junk food in the house but maybe I'll stop eating white carbs and cut out the sugary cereals and allow myself a cheat day at weekends so that I don't get bored eating this wya.
    Try to remember the scale doesn't mean as much as your measurements. If you are working out you are probably gaining muscle which is heavier than fat.
  • Kkleo2102
    Kkleo2102 Posts: 22
    Options
    Honestly, I prefer "clean" eating over "normal" eating. I've lost about 40 pounds since I started. And honestly, I feel better. I don't feel tired. I wake up early and go to bed late (well my idea of late lol). My energy is through the roof. Etc. But I also cut out dairy and land animals. So I eat fish, but once or twice a year now. And (don't think it's gross) I juice fruits and veggies once a day (Mostly veggies). I was even making my own pasta, but since I'm a carboholic I stopped. Had to quit the addiction some how. It has been stopping me from losing more weight.

Clean eating is healthy eating. That's how I look at it. Try it out for a few months to see if you like it. If you don't have time to cook, or anything, make stuff ahead of time and freeze it. I do that with soups, stews, and my smoothie mixes.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think a person's success eating "normal" is directly related to how much self control and discipline that person has as well as what your calorie needs are. I'm guessing if someone is overweight there could be a problem in those departments at least to some degree. As people always point out, one can technically lose weight eating candy, pizza, french fries, burgers, chips, cookies, etc. How easy a person can fit those in to a diet is different for everyone? If you're one of those 1200 calorie a day girls who doesn't exercise you may not want to splurge for the Double Quarter Pounder and Fries because there goes all your calories for the day. If you do you better be ok with being hungry the rest of the day. If you're a guy who gets 2700+ calories a day maybe you can take that hit every now and then.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe TDEE -25% is too large a deficit. if you only want fat loss, and dont have much to lose TDEE -10/15% might be better?

fat loss is slooooooooow.... have you measured/taken pictures in the last 11 weeks? is there no difference at all?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    When people say "I'm trying to eat clean but can't because the kids don't like it"

*face palm*
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fanatical clean eater (why would you be? - just eat real food - no biggy right?) but I'm utterly bemused at the people who are actually trying to defend processed food as normal/better?

It's packed with sugar and salt so basically you're addicted to it. This is why you defend it. You're addicted.

I don't think I have seen anyone say that processed food is "better", hyperbole perhaps. To say that people who do eat processed food are addicted is nonsense, what evidence do you have to support such a claim? I don't care what others eat, and I will listen to those who know more than I do. But the "clean eaters" on here are so dogmatic that it is cult like. Even if you were right, which I don't think is true always, the arrogant attitude is so off putting that it would turn me away.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    I don't think I have seen anyone say that processed food is "better", hyperbole perhaps. To say that people who do eat processed food are addicted is nonsense, what evidence do you have to support such a claim? I don't care what others eat, and I will listen to those who know more than I do. But the "clean eaters" on here are so dogmatic that it is cult like. Even if you were right, which I don't think is true always, the arrogant attitude is so off putting that it would turn me away.

http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

Re: clean eaters being dogmatic/arrogant - I agree. I don't see why anyone would be though - it makes no sense when it should simply be the default.
  • mandrade4550
    Options
    I think that eating normal is eating clean. It just depends on what you consider normal vs what you are use to...Ive decided to eat clean for 30 days...and by clean I mean no processed foods lots of fruits and veggies...chicken and turkey with little to no extra seasonings and Ive actually come to like it. Granted its what I normally eat anyways but i did away with the candy, processed sugars, prepackaged foods because of the soduim in some of those packages.

Really it just depends on you...have I seen results? Yes most certain...do my friends think im crazy?? YES LOL i also started measuring my food with a food scale i bought and it really does help with porportions.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies and drinking beer. Fat loss simply requires burning more calories than you consume. Calories are calories.

Remaining healthy on that diet, that's another question all together.

Exactly. I do my version of eating clean-er and it's working for me so far. I've dropped some weight, but I also have a ton more energy and feel generally better. I eat good, whole foods, sticking to my calories, and I exercise. I eat processed stuff sometimes, but I keep it minimal and try to stick to the less processed stuff. I am trying various "clean" eating recipes, which is awesome for adding variety into my family's diet and not just having the same old thing.

I don't want to do what I used to do on Weight Watchers*. I don't want to be trying to fit as much sweetened processed crappy food into my "points" each day. I want to eat good, tasty food that is good for me.

*Weight Watchers is a great program and works for so many people. I am not capable of counting points without resorting to crappy processed foods, for some reason. I know that's not how it's supposed to be.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think it's important when you're on a calorie restrictive diet to eat lots of whole, unprocessed foods, especially fruits and veggies and legumes (or local non-factory meats if your not veg*n), because even though you've reduced your calories your body still needs the same nutrients.

I don't think of it as cutting out "unclean" foods, I think of it as increasing nutrient-dense foods. Naturally, since you have a limited number of calories, processed foods end up being mostly crowded out (but not eliminated completely if you don't want).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When people say "I'm trying to eat clean but can't because the kids don't like it"

*face palm*

My kids don't know any other way of eating! They eat what we eat, end of! I took my 3 year old to the supermarket yesterday and he asked for strawberries and courgettes. He pointed to an Easter egg and asked 'what's that?' He didn't know what the chocolate bars pictured on the Easter egg box were either.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the name of that documentary?

The Big Fat Truth about Low Fat Foods - originally shown on BBC3

Yes that would be it (apologies im in work, so was working) i love her cause she is a wee local.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

My kids don't know any other way of eating! They eat what we eat, end of! I took my 3 year old to the supermarket yesterday and he asked for strawberries and courgettes. He pointed to an Easter egg and asked 'what's that?' He didn't know what the chocolate bars pictured on the Easter egg box were either.

Good for you - that's awesome!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is about moderation. Since everyone's idea of "normal" is different, it could mean a change for some, and no change for others.

Using myself as an example, before I became dedicated to making a change, my day would look like this:

Breakfast: gravy & biscuit from McDonalds Pepsi or coke
    Morning Snack: Large Fudge Round cake, pepsi or coke
    Lunch: whatever fast food was available, usually large sized, with a pepsi or coke.
    afternoon snack: candy or oatmeal cake, with another pepsi or coke
    dinner: whatever I felt like cooking.

So based on my old definition of normal, there is no way to lose weight on that type of diet.

Now, I have an egg sandwich, fruit & yogurt, or oatmeal for breakfast.
    Snacks consist of veggies and cheese snacks, yogurt.
    Lunch is usually a ham & turkey sandwich, or a live smart schwan's meal. Sometimes I go out, or eat something else, but I take smaller portions.
    Dinner is something like chicken or pork, with vegetables and fruit for a late snack. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner, and I make everything from scratch to control the contents.

So using that as an example, some people have to make changes, some people don't. You really have to find what works for you. I know that doesn't really provide much help, but I just wanted to share my experience of normal eating vs clean eating!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is about moderation. Since everyone's idea of "normal" is different, it could mean a change for some, and no change for others.

Using myself as an example, before I became dedicated to making a change, my day would look like this:

Breakfast: gravy & biscuit from McDonalds Pepsi or coke
    Morning Snack: Large Fudge Round cake, pepsi or coke
    Lunch: whatever fast food was available, usually large sized, with a pepsi or coke.
    afternoon snack: candy or oatmeal cake, with another pepsi or coke
    dinner: whatever I felt like cooking.

So based on my old definition of normal, there is no way to lose weight on that type of diet.

actually that isnt true.

if you had simply swapped your pepsi or coke for diet with each meal you would have lost weight as you would have reduced your daily cals by around 600 per day!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    To answer some other posters, I haven't lost inches since the first month. I lost around 2 inches in total but now I seem to be a little bigger if anything and clothes aren't really looser and my thighs are bigger. Maybe I am gaining a little muscle, who knows.

Regarding not having 'much' to lose, in my opinion I've got loads to lose. I am 144 lbs with an hourglass shape and a wardrobe full of 'skinny' clothes I last wore 2 years ago! I am a UK size 10-12 now which I think is a US size 6-8 but previously I was a size 8 (US 4) so I feel huge! I know that fat loss is more important than scale weight so that's what I'm trying achieve but with little fat loss so far and possibly muscle gain I feel bigger than ever. I would ideally like to lose at least 20 more lbs but I'd love to lose 25 lbs as I'm a small build so look 'chunky' at my current weight.

Thanks for sharing Gracie Lynn, I have to say I have never eaten that badly, ever! My typical day would be toast with jam and light margerine for breakfast with fruit juice, pasta with a creamy (usually homemade sauce) for lunch, a bag of low fat crisps for a snack and then dinner would consist of something small like some ham, cheese, salad items (carrot, tomato, dill pickles) and rivita. I drank a lot of diet coke and used a lot of artificial sweetners too. Basically it was a lot more carb heavy than it is now and protion sizes were probably bigger as I didn't count calories at all. At weekends I had a piece of chocolate or some ice cream normally and maybe a cooked breakfast on one of the days.

Now I have cereal with skimmed milk or yogurt, porridge or a couple of rivitas with peanut butter for breakfast (no juice) and some fruit or nuts. I then have a mid-morning snack of a protein shake and then lunch which will be my biggest meal. Normally some form of protein ie. red meat, chicken or an omlette with some carbs/veggies but more protein than carbs. I have a small snack mid-afternoon usually protein based too (some cheese for example) and then a low carb dinner like a salad or similar but everything is calorie counted.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

Re: clean eaters being dogmatic/arrogant - I agree. I don't see why anyone would be though - it makes no sense when it should simply be the default.

Your "evidence" is laughable at best. But thank you for making my point. I will bow out now and allow an unencumbered love-fest.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I don't know why these kind of disagreements happen. From what I've read on here by many other posters they have been able to achieve both weight loss and fat loss simply by changing the way the work out and mainly by lifting heavy and increasing protein intake and there are some who say that it's not necessary to eat clean or watch carbs if you're doing that.

In my original post I was just interested to find out what kind of success people have had generally and which method they have used to get there. Personally in the past a very long time ago I followed weight watcher and when I did that I ate a lot of pre-packaged meals and snack bars and lost weight but I don't like eating that way anymore.

Now I prefer to eat pretty natural foods most of the time and allow myself some treats which of course can sometimes be processed but not always. A treat for me is normally a high fat item like dark chocolate or half a pizza but it doesn't necessarily have to be full of chemicals. The reason I prefer to eat more natural food really is down to portion sizes as on processed 'diet' foods I found the portions to be tiny and I was always hungry. Now I've never hungry and I make sure to count calories and carb/protein macros.

Others swear they can eat what they want and it doesn't affect their fitness, energy levels or fat loss goals but for me I'm not sure my body works like that however as I am struggling to get anywhere with my own fat loss at the moment I was hoping for some ideas/tips and feedback to get things moving.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen any significant changes in fat loss by eating 'normally' ie. not really moderating their fat or carb intake and eating high GI or sugary, processed foods?

I've seen a lot of people on here advocate eating normally and even by eating high carb/high sugar diets while weight training and say that they have been able to get a lean body that way but others swear by low carb diets or eating clean ie. nothing processed and lean meat, fish and fruit/veg etc.

So far I've not seen the results I'd hoped for and I've been training 6 days a week for the last 11 weeks and was using light weights 4 days a week but have now changed to lifting heavy 2-3 days a week. Although I am able to stick to a specific calorie intake (calculated as TDEE -20-25% at present) and I've generally tried to keep my carbs under 100g 90% of the time and protein above 100g I haven't really looked at my fat intake (although I've tried to avoid too much saturated fat, and have been eating 'good' fats).

Do people generally think that clean eating makes a big difference? I saw a 4 week eating plan in one of my fitness magazines which I could easily follow and which contained things like a lot of fish, chicken, eggs, avocados, nuts, salads without dressings and wholegrains and it would be a bit of a sacrifice for me to eat like that as I hate fish and don't really like chicken that much and I love sauces and dressings, although I always count the calories contained in them. I already try and eat some of those foods anyway but eat a lot more red meat and processed meats like ham and bacon although I always drain the fat from meat when cooking. I also eat quite a lot of cheese like cheddar or blue cheese but this plan tells me to eat cottage chesses (which I already eat from time to time now but also dislike) and feta. Although I eat lower carb I generally don't restrict the types of carbs I eat so I do eat sugary cereals, white bread and white rice/pasta.

Any success with or without clean eating and did you see results quicker when eating clean?

I've put myself on a self-imposed 90 day bootcamp of so-called "clean-eating" giving up coffee, processed foods (as much as possible--because even drinking homemade all organic green veggie juices is still "processed"--but ya know, I mean junky S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) foods), No dairy, No fast foods, no junk.--instead eating only organic fruits, veggies, sprouted grains, nuts, seeds and when my body calls for it humanely raise/small farm reared, vegan fed meats and wild caught, pole and troll caught seafood. I've been at it now for almost 3 weeks (Monday will be 21 days/3 weeks) and here are my results:

My tummy is shrinking big time--when I stated I weight 200+ pounds, as of today I've lost almost 6-8 pounds (so far) but more important, I'm losing an impressive/visible amount inches from around my waist, gut and butt already(my size 18's are falling off and my size 16's have room in the waist and legs).

My stomach feels soooooo GOOD, I can not describe it--I never had stomach issues (that I knew of), but inside my "gut" feels "clean" or something--I have zero bloating, no gas, and my energy levels are increased tremendously.

I feel completely satisfied/satiated thru-out the entire day--that's the BEST part of all!

I'm waking up earlier and earlier, never groggy or bad tempered (like I used to when I had to have coffee), My outside walking and exercising endurance is better, I'm getting stronger and stronger. My hubby, children and even neighbors have/are commenting on on "good" I'm looking.

I don't wake up every hour in the middle of my sleep to use the potty

I don't have strong craving at all anymore for coffee, sweets or junk, meats or dairy--which is an utter MIRACLE, I always deceived myself into believing I couldn't and didn't want to live without these things. I deceived myself into believing that living without these things I would be somehow be...ummmm, doing myself wrong my denying myself these things (deprived is the word I hear mostly about my way of eating/drinking/living)--what an utter lie I've been living/thinking/belieivng. Not only am I NOT deprived saying NO to these things, just the opposite, I'm living a far better quality of life (starting from THE INSIDE out) I'm getting stronger and LOVE the feeling of kicking food addictions and lack of self-control to the place where the sun will NEVER shine--I feel more powerful than I EVER did eating normally and letting food and the though of food rule and reign in my heart and mind 24/7X365. I LOVE IT and I may well choose to continue to live my entire life this way...not just 90 days.

I now know what "real hunger" is...before this three weeks of so-called "clean-eating" I used to "think" I knew what hunger was---a gnarling, achy, whiny, terrible empty feeling. Craving and a ravenous feeling that would turn me animal like if I didn't have something (primary S.A.D. (standard American Diet--junky foods/drinks). Then, to eat my foods in a feeding FRENZY like, being sooooo HUNGRY or like I used to feel like I was STARVING. Now, I've learned that "TRUE" hunger is so gentle and mild--nothing like "normal eating AT ALL. It's not a greedy/gluttonous hunger cues or eating AT ALL...it's a calm and cool natural feeling that I NEVER knew and totally love.

I'm not feeling emotional or stressful like I used to ALL the time eating so-called "normal" or S.A.D. (Standard American Diet). I feel more at peace with myself and the world. I'm calmer and more active, I'm having more patience with myself and others...more alert--it's tremendous--very focused and more clear headed too!

Lastly...My primary goal in so-called eating "clean" is spiritual first, rather than for weight only. I'm doing this to "humble myself, and pray, and Seek God's Face and to turn from my wicked ways of eating, drinking, thinking and living. God is helping me by filling me with His Holy Spirit and blessing me with His Gifts of The Holy Spirit...namely self-control and it's a marvelous thing to SEE and FEEL the results!

:heart: :love: :heart: