Runners knee recovery?

Options
Hi All -

I noticed a slight pain in my right knee at the start of the week when I was on my daily run. The pain eventually went away a few minutes into my run. Today unfortunately the pain was to the point that I had to actually stop my run. After doing some research I realized I must have runners knee. To heal the recommendation is rest in general. I was just curious if any other MFP members had this problem and if so how long did it take to heal? Also what did you during the healing process to stay active? I was getting ready to run in a half marathon during Easter weekend and thinking this may just sideline me from that event.

Hope all is well with everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Replies

• sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe I had a case of the dreaded "runner's knee" a few years back. It happened when my weekly mileage went over 40 miles. I took a week off and came back slowly the following week. If you catch it early enough, you should be able to beat it in two weeks or so. Best of luck!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with similar stuff. I am not sure if it was new sneakers or mileage or just old age. :grumble: Runners World website has some good exercises to help strengthen leg and hip muscles. I ice after a run - going easy according to how the leg feels - and heat at bedtime. Also, rolling quads, hamstrings, and ITB is really important.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Whenever I had that in the past I just ignored it and kept running. That worked for me, but I never had it really bad either.

I finally cured the problem by adopting better running form. Google "Good Form Running". Since adopting this running form 2 years ago I have not had any kee pains at all.

The reason is that running in this way reduces the impact forces that are transmitted to the knees with each step. Instead, the arch of the foot and the tendons and muscles in the legs absorb the forces as they were designed to do.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I finally cured the problem by adopting better running form. Google "Good Form Running". Since adopting this running form 2 years ago I have not had any kee pains at all.

This is a good website! Thanks for the info.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would say during any 'rest' period I would just switch to low impact, elliptical, bike, swim, walk hills and for sure keep up strength training. In fact focus on hips, ITB etc for strengthening since weakness in those areas is usually what causes 'runners knee' to begin with. also check out runners world- dr metzl for some videos. he's a runner/doctor and gives great advice!

in fact- here is a link http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-dr-jordan-metzl-runners-knee