Cardio then strength, or strength than cardio?

Options
This may be an idiotic question but I was talking with a friend the other day and she told me that during my workout I should do strength training before I start my cardio. Does anyone have any input about this?

Replies

• lpettibone
    Options
    This may be an idiotic question but I was talking with a friend the other day and she told me that during my workout I should do strength training before I start my cardio. Does anyone have any input about this?

The trainer at my gym says that you should warm up first (5-10 minutes of cardio) and then do strength. After strength, you do cardio. Your body will be burning more calories after strength, so it is important to do a majority of your cardio afterwards.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Back when I did both on the same day, I found I had better results if I did strength first.

Now I just don't do them on the same day but alternate.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I always do about 10 - 15 Minutes Cardio to warm up my muscles. Some people do it opposite. Maybe it comes down to what is Best For You?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Strength before, so that you're strongest and have the most energy for the lifting :)

Cardio afterwards.
  • angelacarmela0830
    angelacarmela0830 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input! :) Definitely cleared things up for me!
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    strength before cardio..you want as much energy available to direct toward your lifts...if you are going for maximum lean body mass..then your cardio should be seperate from your lifting ..8 hours apart..but in most regular worlds, this isn't a viable option..so doing it after would be the next best choice
  • barbi1281
    barbi1281 Posts: 48
    Options
    I was told the same thing by a personal trainer... the reason for that is that you can work harder and do more/heavier reps if you don't deplete your energy on cardio. Also, cardio only causes a fat burn when you're working, strength continues to burn fat even when you stop (this lasts several hours) so you get double bang for your buck if you do your cardio after strength. I usually do short cardio after my strength on toning days and the other days I do heavy cardio and no strength.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Just to be contrary, I do it the other way around. Cardio tires my muscles less than lifting, so I'll do my 30-40min cardio session, then lift. If I lift first, I can barely walk home, let alone go for a run. I lift heavy, so that might make a difference.

Now I try to alternate days, or at least split it to weights in the morning and cardio in the afternoon (personal preference - some people prefer cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening).
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If I have enough energy for cardio after lifting, I don't consider that session done well enough. Instead, I alternate between strength and cardio days.

But that could just be me, and not anything substantially valid.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do 10 minutes on the elliptical to warm up the body first.

Then lift.

Then do 20 minutes of HIIT cardio or 4 minutes Tabata (which usually makes me puke..)

Good luck!
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Strength before, so that you're strongest and have the most energy for the lifting :)

Cardio afterwards.

I'm inclined to agree with this line of thought.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a few studies (its been a while, so can't remember the references), but they studied the effects of fat burn after strength training. They came to the conclusion that a nice 30 min cardio session immediately after strength training led to burning more fat cells. They referred to a cardio session as a nice 30 min. 3.5 + brisk walk immediately. If I recall it was due to the glycogen stores being depleted during the strength session and allowed the calories burned afterwards to be dedicated towards fat cells.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The trainer at my gym says that you should warm up first (5-10 minutes of cardio) and then do strength. After strength, you do cardio. Your body will be burning more calories after strength, so it is important to do a majority of your cardio afterwards.
    [/quote]

^^^i agree 100%
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

i agree 100%
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I will be a contrarian as well. I do my 30 minutes of cardio before I lift. If I don't then I will be too tired and sore from lifting to even think about doing my cardio. Case in point: Monday I did my 30 min. of cardio first then did a heavy leg day followed by abs. By time I was done I was tired and sore and had I not done my cardio first I would have skipped it.

A lot of people say that if you do your cardio first you won't have the strength to lift heavy but I disagree. I have always done my cardio first (for the reasons above) and I have never been too tired to lift heavy and believe me, I am not doing lazy cardio either. I'm dripping sweat, panting and my HR can sometimes get up to 170BPM which is a little over 90% of my max (220-age).

I just personally know myself and I know that if I lift first cardio will never be done.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If I have enough energy for cardio after lifting, I don't consider that session done well enough

Yes, this.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I cycle everywhere, which means to the gym and back and I sometimes run there and back...to do my heavy lifting session three times per week. So I do cardio, strength, cardio three times per week and then cardio on the other two to four days( have two full days' rest per week if I can)

If you have the energy, you are eating the right amount and feel like it, in any order will do, your body will let you know soon enough what it can handle and what it cannot. Also depends on your goals, are they purely strength based or do you want some cardio thrown in there? Go from there, then try various combos out.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do a quick warm up on the treadmill and then lift. I always do a cardio session after lifting so I'm able to put all I got into the lifting.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Quick warmup then straight to strength. The bottom line is that any program including strength training should be focused around the strength training, with the strength training being the root of the program, and everything else being planned around it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I think this matters a lot more when your in a caloric surplus trying to gain muscle.... If your cutting weight its probably rather trivial.

You also have to take into account what type of workout you're doing.... Low rep or high rep training? I guess high rep training may make cardio seem like hell afterwards (I dunno, I dont do high reps)