Lost weight from waist but stomach looks bigger

Options

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off where it wants to first, so if your circumference is smaller, then maybe you lost those inches from the side and back which may not not look much different from your view in a mirror. The gut area on most guys is where they complain about being the hardest and last place to see much in the way of results.
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Right, now I'm really feeling discouraged, I'm doing everything right and seem to be losing weight, but it really feels like my stomach is getting bigger :-( how is this even possible? its not the fact that I'm not losing it on my stomach, its where it looks like its getting bigger, what could i be doing wrong? all my jeans and trousers feel loose then before

it will go away drink water! you got it. just takes sometime
  • 22ssingh
    22ssingh Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks people, I will post results in a few weeks or in a months time
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it.

Every body is programmed differently about where the weight comes off from first/last. Men and women tend to be different too (so it's much more common to get very large men with stick thin legs than it is to see the same shape on women). It sounds like your body wants to hold weight in the stomach region (quite common for men). Eventually the weight will start to come off there too.

Congrats on the 12 lbs you've lost so far.

This. I have the same issue - visceral fat in the abdominal region. According to my nutritionist, this is really common in men. However, she added that as I continue to lose additional weight, it's gotta come from there since I have leaned out just about everywhere else! Good news to keep me motivated.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying, yes I am actually working with weights and am training my chest and back, as well as my arms legs and abs. I guess I will just stick to it and wait for results. Also congrats on losing the 15 lbs :-)

this is something common I have heard what is going on in my opinion is that with the ab work your building up your abs which is a good thing, but you still have belly fat so when your building your abs its just gonna push the belly fat out more. The only way to loose stomach fat is to lower your body fat % which is 60% diet 40% exercise. I have seen friends go ab work crazy and get super frustrated because their stomachs actually get bigger not smaller, this is why it happens
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'd bet it's bloat that is more noticeable now that you're thinner overall. Watch out for sodium, fluids and also potentially gluten or dairy/lactose. See if days you eat more cheese/ice cream or breads contributes to a more sticky-out tummy day.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Look into the foods you are eating, some stuff do tend to make you bloated, though you are losing in your waist, try and look at your diet and see if it needs cleaning up more, more natural foods, less prepackages, processed foods, I didn't look at or attempt to look at your diary, so just throwing stuff out there that could be the issue. Try and keep your sodium contempt as low as possible, around 1500 or less, and ensure you are drinking enough water, the recommended amount is 64 oz, however you work out, so should be a lot more than that. I drink 20-24 glasses per day, on Sundays which is my rest day I drink 64 oz.

It is recommended to tuck your stomach in while work out, its takes practice to make it easier to do it without even thinking about it. Also try ab routines as well

Goodluck
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Hi thanks for replying, yes I am actually working with weights and am training my chest and back, as well as my arms legs and abs. I guess I will just stick to it and wait for results. Also congrats on losing the 15 lbs :-)

this is something common I have heard what is going on in my opinion is that with the ab work your building up your abs which is a good thing, but you still have belly fat so when your building your abs its just gonna push the belly fat out more. The only way to loose stomach fat is to lower your body fat % which is 60% diet 40% exercise. I have seen friends go ab work crazy and get super frustrated because their stomachs actually get bigger not smaller, this is why it happens

Sounds like it makes sense lol, well thanks I guess I will stop the ab training for now
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Right, now I'm really feeling discouraged, I'm doing everything right and seem to be losing weight, but it really feels like my stomach is getting bigger :-( how is this even possible? its not the fact that I'm not losing it on my stomach, its where it looks like its getting bigger, what could i be doing wrong? all my jeans and trousers feel loose then before

I've been doing this for a year and I'm just now seeing the changes I want to see in my midsection. Although I could wear smaller sizes my tummy still looked as big as it did the day I started (to me it did to others it didn't). But I see the tummy going down now and I like what I see. Just can't wait to like seeing me naked...lol That's still a challenge.
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Look into the foods you are eating, some stuff do tend to make you bloated, though you are losing in your waist, try and look at your diet and see if it needs cleaning up more, more natural foods, less prepackages, processed foods, I didn't look at or attempt to look at your diary, so just throwing stuff out there that could be the issue. Try and keep your sodium contempt as low as possible, around 1500 or less, and ensure you are drinking enough water, the recommended amount is 64 oz, however you work out, so should be a lot more than that. I drink 20-24 glasses per day, on Sundays which is my rest day I drink 64 oz.

It is recommended to tuck your stomach in while work out, its takes practice to make it easier to do it without even thinking about it. Also try ab routines as well

Goodluck

wow 20-24 glasses of water a day!! that sounds crazy to me, I'm running to the toilet after every 2 glasses lol but how many glasses should I be drinking?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Sounds like it makes sense lol, well thanks I guess I will stop the ab training for now

I would not stop the ab training, that six pack will show thru one day and you will be happy you stuck with it. If you stop now you will have to wait even longer to see the abs you want to see. And my friend said her heart rehab doctors told her the best way to burn belly fat is to walk it off. So get walking Sir :wink:
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Are you allergic to anything that you are eating? my dad got allergy testing and now doesn't eat what he's allergic to and he's never bloated.

It could be water retention also.
  • 22ssingh
    Options

I would not stop the ab training, that six pack will show thru one day and you will be happy you stuck with it. If you stop now you will have to wait even longer to see the abs you want to see. And my friend said her heart rehab doctors told her the best way to burn belly fat is to walk it off. So get walking Sir :wink:

Thanks for the input, Yeah I'm actually doing a lot of walking, uphills etc so thanks
  • 22ssingh
    Options

Are you allergic to anything that you are eating? my dad got allergy testing and now doesn't eat what he's allergic to and he's never bloated.

It could be water retention also.

Nope not allergic to anything, but most people are saying water retention so will keep that in mind
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yea totally not suggesting that you stop ab training just trying to give a reason for why it might start looking bigger, it takes a lot of time to drop body fat % but once you do you will look like an animal keep up the good work only our body will say when it is time to take fat off of particular spot just keep eating healthy loosing and building strength and you will get there!
  • MissyLissyPotter
    Options
    remember is it a possibility that you're putting muscle on underneath that you cant see yet, when you're muscles grow it pushes the fat out which may give the appearance of your stomach looking bigger but it's not, it's just the muscles bulking up underneath. don't worry too much about it, it'll even itself out eventually, usually for men the stomach is the last place to lose the weight because that's where men store most of their fat.
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    yea totally not suggesting that you stop ab training just trying to give a reason for why it might start looking bigger, it takes a lot of time to drop body fat % but once you do you will look like an animal keep up the good work only our body will say when it is time to take fat off of particular spot just keep eating healthy loosing and building strength and you will get there!

That makes more sense, thanks bro
  • GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should check to see if you have a diastasis recti. It's where your stomach muscles have actually separated and your organs are hanging there in the middle. Pregnant women get it after carrying a baby (sometimes) I have one so my stomach ALWAYS looks big. . and people who do a lot of heavy lifting can get it. Here are a couple of links.

http://twinpossible.com/yes-men-can-have-diastasis-recti-to-information-helpful-resources-plus-you-can-heal-your-separation-to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6g8VFD8Kw
    http://diastasisrehab.com/diastasis-rehab.html#men3

Not saying that's what your problem is. . but it's possible.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I also have this problem. The gut just will not go away!
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Maybe you should check to see if you have a diastasis recti. It's where your stomach muscles have actually separated and your organs are hanging there in the middle. Pregnant women get it after carrying a baby (sometimes) I have one so my stomach ALWAYS looks big. . and people who do a lot of heavy lifting can get it. Here are a couple of links.

http://twinpossible.com/yes-men-can-have-diastasis-recti-to-information-helpful-resources-plus-you-can-heal-your-separation-to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6g8VFD8Kw
    http://diastasisrehab.com/diastasis-rehab.html#men3

Not saying that's what your problem is. . but it's possible.

Just did the test as shown in the video and all seems normal thanks