Granola bars!

Options
Hey guys! So I'm a student, so for snacks I need something quick, easy to carry, and not awkward to eat in class or on the bus/on the go haha. So the obvious choice is granola bars!
Just based on taste, my favourites are Vector Bars, Quaker Yogurt Bars and Quaker Chewy Bars! But I have a feeling that at least the Quaker ones might not be the healthiest?
What are YOUR fvaourite granola bars, the healthiest options, your go-to-bars, etc? Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i like the new dole live right ones out now, yum!
  • prioritizinghealth
    prioritizinghealth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sweet thanks :)

bumpp
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own... that way you know whats in them and they are really tasty!!!
    The last one I made was the following http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7001/cinnamon-berry-granola-bars very tasty!! :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I either make my own or I like Kind or Larabars. I like Quaker chewy too - but they're not at all filling.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars, any of them.

Special K bars

GNC Procrunch (protein bar)
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Special K and Alpen Light are really good and low calorie. For quick and easy snacks though, I also like unsweetened dried fruit - pitted dates and unsulphured/organic apricots are my favourites - as well as fresh fruit that travels well like apples and bananas. I snack a lot, feel free to add me and check out my diary for some ideas or visit my food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com :)

Ax
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So I'm a student, so for snacks I need something quick, easy to carry, and not awkward to eat in class or on the bus/on the go haha. So the obvious choice is granola bars!
    Just based on taste, my favourites are Vector Bars, Quaker Yogurt Bars and Quaker Chewy Bars! But I have a feeling that at least the Quaker ones might not be the healthiest?
    What are YOUR fvaourite granola bars, the healthiest options, your go-to-bars, etc? Thanks so much!! :)

anything made by big companies like kellogs, quaker, etc tend to have a lot of questionable ingredients like HFCS and other things. If you care about that stuff, then ditch them for better alternatives (Quest Bars, Good n' Natural, Pure Protein, etc)

Just check the sugar content so you know what you're eating. Clif bars would be great, but they pack 20g of sugar each.
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions guys!!
    I tried a LUNA bar today and it was really good :)

buuump
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like Lärabars because they only have a few and natural ingredients. I really like the peanut butter chocolate chip, almost taste like a moist cookie.

We currently have Kashi Trail Mix Granola bars on hand. They are 140 calories, 4grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein and only 6 grams of sugar. Not too bad nutrition-wise.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just read the labels, short ingredient list is better. lower sugar is better.. things ending is "ose" are sugar. If you get cheap granola bars, you get what you pay for. I haven't done it yet, but i hear they are easy to make.
  • iilovenikee
    Options
    I love LUNA and CLIF <3
    but most often I eat a fiber one.
    but I also read somewhere they are not that healthy.
    So when I am in class and I wanna snack I usually cut a apple in pieces before sleep and I put it into a zipplog bag in the fridge and take it to class in the morning and just snack on it from my bag :) its healthier and no one notices it :D
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    all the suggestions sound awesome, thanks everyone <3
    the fruit/dried fruit might be a good alternative too! change things up a bit.
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    bump!
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    :)
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

anything made by big companies like kellogs, quaker, etc tend to have a lot of questionable ingredients like HFCS and other things. If you care about that stuff, then ditch them for better alternatives (Quest Bars, Good n' Natural, Pure Protein, etc)

Just check the sugar content so you know what you're eating. Clif bars would be great, but they pack 20g of sugar each.

Oh my, that's just depressing! I love peanut butter cliff bars and I feel full forever after eating one of those! I've never even looked at the labels. :(
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    I tried one of those Special K Thincrisps things or whatever they're called; only 100 cals, but I did notttt feel satisfied so I feel like it was a waste. haha
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into making your own. I haven't made any in a while, but it's really easy to do and can be easier on your pocket, too. Plus you get all the stuff you want, and none of the stuff you don't want. I can't find the recipe I use, but it had a raisin base, and all the ingredients went in the blender. Bake, then freeze, then room temp. I'll keep looking, it's got to be around here somewhere. A quick google should give you some good recipes too - just watch the details in the ingredients.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try Luna bars...70% organic and about 180 cals. I also LOVE Cascadia Farms Organic Peanut Butter granola bars.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Probably not the healthiest but I enjoy Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants granola bars. Particularly the chocolate chip one. Yummy. However, if you want the healthiest choice I would go with making your own granola bars- that way you'll know exactly what's in them. There are plenty of really yummy recipes out there.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Probably not the healthiest but I enjoy Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants granola bars. Particularly the chocolate chip one. Yummy. However, if you want the healthiest choice I would go with making your own granola bars- that way you'll know exactly what's in them. There are plenty of really yummy recipes out there.

Kelloggs bars are pretty much among the least healthy bar options and yes, making your own are the healthiest - however, there's a middle ground if you just do a little looking at labels.

for example, at pretty much any grocery/drug store you can grab Good n' Natural bars that have great ingredients AND they're cheap ($1.30ish each) http://www.goodnnaturalbar.com/products/cranberry-almond