You have to try it!!!

eliblish
eliblish Posts: 124 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
O.k. I know this post should probably go in recipes but I wanted more people to see it! I'm sure alot of you have heard about the old frozen banana trick. Well, I finally tried it today. I have eaten frozen bananas before just sliced up and while they're o.k. they are nothing like ice cream. Well, i sliced some bananas up, threw them in the freezer for a few days, stuck them in the food processor, and they went from slices to weird little chunks to weird little grains ( at which point I did a taste test and was unimpressed.) Then it magically turned into soft serve ice cream!!!! I am officially a believer! Strangely enough it completely changed the taste. While there is a banana flavor, it is slight. The texture was just like soft serve. And I used very ripe bananas. Also, because I had mine in the freezer for a few days instead of hours, I had to add a splash of almond milk to get it to smooth out.
Seriously, give it a try!!! It completely satisfied my craving for ice cream. So much healthier than real ice cream.

Replies

• gamecock
    gamecock Posts: 36
    Just tried this.......in the blender instead of a food processor...stupid me:explode: I had chunks of bananna and plastic pieces all over my kitchen. So I didn't get to try it and I broke the blender in the process.
    Lesson learned!!:bigsmile:
  • eliblish
    Oh no!!!!! That sucks! You'll have to try it again w/ the processor....it's so worth it!
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    I have this all the time :D Very delicious!! I usually top with some raw pistachios or sliced bananas. I even make a raw carob sauce for the ultimate dessert!!
    3 dates
    3 tablespoons raw carob powder
    & water
    blend the dates & carob while adding water until its the proper consistency. Pour over banana ice cream & enjoy!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Oh no!!!!! That sucks! You'll have to try it again w/ the processor....it's so worth it!
    without a food processor would it work do you think if they weren't as frozen? Same with Humus, I've read most recipes say food processor, one I found said blender.

Hm, guess I will have to reward myself with a food processor!:tongue: Got a great homemade Pita bread recipe that needs to be made in one as well.

Thanks so much for sharing your discovery! So many great frozen banana treats shared on here lately!

ahhh and gamecock, so sorry your blender broke on you! :(

Becca♥
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    If you don't want to buy a full-size food processor and generally don't need a big one, you can get a mini-sized one for a lot cheaper. I have both a big one and a little one, and use the little one much more often for basic chopping and recipes like this one, because it fits better in the dishwasher.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    If you don't want to buy a full-size food processor and generally don't need a big one, you can get a mini-sized one for a lot cheaper. I have both a big one and a little one, and use the little one much more often for basic chopping and recipes like this one, because it fits better in the dishwasher.
    This is exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks so much as I definitely don't have a need for a full size one.

Great news!
    Thanks again,
    Becca
  • mcbeth
    mcbeth Posts: 53 Member
    Wonder if this would work in my magic bullet.....any ideas
  • eliblish
    without a food processor would it work do you think if they weren't as frozen? Same with Humus, I've read most recipes say food processor, one I found said blender.

Hm, guess I will have to reward myself with a food processor!:tongue: Got a great homemade Pita bread recipe that needs to be made in one as well.

Thanks so much for sharing your discovery! So many great frozen banana treats shared on here lately!

ahhh and gamecock, so sorry your blender broke on you! :(

Becca♥

I don't think the consistency would be quite right if they weren't as frozen. One recipe I came across on the web said to freeze for just a couple hours. They don't take very long to freeze. I froze mine for a few days just because I had some bananas that were ready to go bad and I didn't want to toss them.
  • eliblish

I've heard those things are pretty powerful. Maybe just try it with a small amount. Adding a splash of milk or substitute helps smooth it out.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Sounds delicious! At what point do you freeze the bananas? Like when they are just turning yellow or when they are fully yellow with no brown spots??

I've never tried this. Do you just peel and toss in a freezer bag and freeze then?

I'm going to have to get a mini food processor too -- I use my blender for everything -- and make hummus all the time in there just fine. But if I can have a fruity ice-cream type treat, it is well worth investing for a little mini processor.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Sounds delicious! At what point do you freeze the bananas? Like when they are just turning yellow or when they are fully yellow with no brown spots??

I've never tried this. Do you just peel and toss in a freezer bag and freeze then?

I'm going to have to get a mini food processor too -- I use my blender for everything -- and make hummus all the time in there just fine. But if I can have a fruity ice-cream type treat, it is well worth investing for a little mini processor.

I had someone on MFP confirm yesterday that you should freeze them right when they are perfect - not green and not yet brown.

Peel first and cut up into chunks and toss in a bag.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Ok great! I am going to try that this weekend! ...after a trip to Wallyworld to pick up a mini processor!
  • eliblish
    The first batch I did my bananas were VERY ripe but not black. They had a little bit of brown. I was worried because I don't care for the taste of overripe bananas but the end product turned out great! Yesterday I froze some yellow ones, no green, no brown. I'm going to make them tonight. I sliced them and put them on a paper plate in a single layer and froze them and then put them in a freezer bag because I didn't want them to stick together. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it w/ green bananas because it might not be sweet or flavorful enough. They do lose a bit of flavor once frozen. In a good way I think!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Elizabeth just put a nanner in the fridge can't wait to try!
  • HealthyChanges2010

I had someone on MFP confirm yesterday that you should freeze them right when they are perfect - not green and not yet brown.

Peel first and cut up into chunks and toss in a bag.
    The GI level of the fruit would most definitely be lower that way if it's something any of you watch in your food diaries. (GI being Glycemic Index), that's why I might go with the not spotty or over ripe ones. But most definitely agree NO green icky, they taste horrible if you eat one that ins't quite ripe enough. ick ick ick

Thanks for the helpful tips all! Oh noneya2010 if you beat me to buying a mini one, would love to know how you like it and what sort of price/model/brand you found. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • eliblish
    Jama- I hope you meant freezer. :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    nanner bump:tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    :tongue:
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256

Let us know how it works after you've tried. I have no processor (it's on my list of needs but there are higher priorities) but I have a magic bullet. I think the banana would just stick to the sides of it though? For sure I'm interested. No bananas in the home to try with tonight though.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    This has been posted before and I have had it several times since and I like it BUT it has to be eaten right away or the texture goes nasty!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100518-1-ingredient-ice-cream
This discussion has been closed.