How often do you workout in a week

Options
I am soooo new to exercise.... :huh: I have been working out & eatting 1200 calories for about 2 weeks now. I am able to do 60 minutes on the elliptical machine. That is pretty much all I am doing at this point. I am getting to the gym 3 times a week. Is this enough? I am trying to lose weight (40-50 pounds) and tone up. Should I go more often? I eventually want to start lifting weights but I was thinking I should get rid of some of this fat first. I don't know. I would love some ideas on a weekly work out schedule for someone just starting out...
Thanks for any and all responses :bigsmile:

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    good grief, you used the "tone" word. I'm sure someone will take issue with that

stay tuned on that front

I work out seven out of nine days. I know, sounds weird. I'm not 100% religious about that though. Since I'm on a weird 4/1/3/1 schedule, I get workout days that fall on weekends, and I might have done something else that day, so I just push the days out.
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    good grief, you used the "tone" word. I'm sure someone will take issue with that

stay tuned on that front
    LOL why? Isn't that what it's called?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    4 TIMES A WEEK. no more
  • Jerh29vs11
    Options
    Wow, you are off to a great start! I belive if you are going to the gym 3 times a week, that it great for starters, But if you can go 5 times a week it is better. You can also work on weight lifting along with cardio intervals inbetween your weight lifting, to help build your muscles. your diet is going to be the most important as togetting the weight off. I have a trainer names Laura London I like to follow her workouts, she has a good varity on You tube, and helps me at home when i cant get to the gym, I will at a link and you can check her out! :) Renee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9Bz1tCdDA
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    4-6 times a week, need least two rest days
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I try for at least half an hour of workout time 5 days a week and try to stay active on my "off days"
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    I work out at least 7 and sometimes up to 10. I work out for an hour every morning, elliptical, some arm building exercises and some on the treadmill. 3 days a week I go to the gym to work out my legs and arms and some elliptical and treadmill. On top of that I play softball 2 days a week until the second week of April then it will be 4 days a week. I haven't lost too much but I think it's because I'm gaining muscle. I stick to my calorie plan as much as I can. Good Luck
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    6 days a week, Sunday off as a rest day.

Usually 50 mins each day, but if i am too busy just 30 mins a day.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    6 on, 1 off.

Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    OFF

Rinse, repeat.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options

stay tuned on that front
    LOL why? Isn't that what it's called?

some people around here can be real jerks and they wan't to correct everyone for everything they say.

"tone" works for me. I get it.
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week . An hour or more a day .
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 or 6 times a week. For example, Mon this week I did spin in the morning and Zumba in the evening. Tues I went for a long walk with my kids and did a HIIT class in the evening. I'd usually do Zumba on a Thurs after work but the week I had to leave work early to pick up my daughter from nursery as she was sick. Today I have a personal training session at 6. Tomorrow morning I am doing high impact aerobics. Sun I am doing a fitball class.

Every week is similar. I can't do evening classes every other week as my husband does shift work, so I try to do something in the morning before he leaves for work so he can look after the kids.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    3 days a week usually. I wish 4!!!
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I work out every day. I don’t go to a gym though, so it doesn’t really feel like working out. During my lunch break from work I will walk briskly 20 – 50 minutes to burn some cals. After work I usually take a yoga class or “jog” on the elliptical at my apartment complex “gym” (which consists of an elliptical). On the weekends I try to walk a lot or hike, or do more yoga : ). I try to stay active every day to burn some calories so that I can eat more without feeling guilty! I think it is good to try and stay active every day if you are trying to lose weight. Going to the gym 3 times a week is totally fine though, in my opinion. Just, on the days that you don’t go to the gym, don’t lounge around all day – make sure you are still being sort of active. Gardening, bowling, anything. Just get that heart rate up at least 30 minutes a day!
  • leanneragland7
    Options
    I've been at 1200 calories a day for five weeks. I do the elliptical 3 days a week & settle for nothing less than 300 cal each time (which is about 30 mins for me). Sometimes I add in another day of 30 min core exercises. And I've lost 12 lbs already. So I'd say you're off to a good start.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I try to go to gym 2-3 times a week.. cardio once or twice a week.

if you're only going to the gym to use the elliptical, I don't know if that's much of use. It's better than nothing, but you should really try other machines too.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lift 4 days
    HIIT cardio 2 days
    rest 1 day
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    20 mins of Pilates a day, 15 or 20 on the treadmill three times a week. Just added some handweights for weight lifting training. One day off a week because rest days are nesscary.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how "working out" is defined. I try to do 20,000 steps each day, 7 days per week (I have a FitBit). There are days when I do it very fast because I'm kickboxing, jumping rope or the like, and there are days when I just walk for a few hours at a brisk pace. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be so "active" 7 days per week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of fitness!

The only thing wrong with using the word "tone" is that it's a bit of a pet peeve to the diehards. It's basically a made up word that makes women comfortable with strength training because many are under the very wrong impression that they'll bulk up like men or professiona women bodybuilders do. Fact is, we're just not built like that and it takes a strict diet and exercise regime to even come even remotely close to getting "bulky". Plus, as women, we naturally have more body fat then men which softens the look of our muscles. Again, it takes fairly strict diet and training to have that more defined look.

So what you really mean to say is that you want to start strength training. And there's no need to wait. In fact, the sooner you start, the better off you'll be in the end. Strength training helps to retain the muscles many lose while dieting and the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn. You may build a bit of muscle in the beginning but as a woman and as someone on a caloric deficit diet, it won't be much. Make sure you'll also eating plenty of protein to retain that muscle. The minimum set by MFP is quite low by fitness standards so don't be afraid to let that one go in the red on a regular basis.

Now to answer your original question:

I personally workout at least 5x per week for 40-45 minutes. This time of year I usually start doing someting on the weekends regularly as well because it's warm and I want to get out for a walk or run.

As far as what "enough" is depends on your goals. What are you looking to achieve?

And by the way, you didn't mention it so I'm going to mention that you need to be eating back at least half of your exercise calories. MFP already sets you up with a deficit and if you don't eat the earned calories back, you're making that deficit too high for healthy weight loss. If you don't feel like you can eat more, try incorporating calorie dense snacks like nuts, seeds, eggs, etc AND get rid of any diet foods and eat the regular versions.

Good luck!