How often do you workout in a week

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. A good starting point is 3x/week in a structured strength training program. And 2-3x/week doing some sort of cardio/conditioning. If you're looking for fitness, 1200 calories ain't gonna cut it. If you want to eat 1200 calories, you might as well stay in bed all day.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week for at least an hour if not more.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    2-4 times a week.

If I don't go - I eat less.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    7 days a week.
    2 to 3 hours cardio a day.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I run 4 miles 6 days a week and I am also doing Jillian's Ripped in 30. Trying to do that every day until I hit day 30.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    There was a study done recently (I'll see if I can find it) that determined 4 times a week to be the "sweet spot" where it's most effective.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. A good starting point is 3x/week in a structured strength training program. And 2-3x/week doing some sort of cardio/conditioning. If you're looking for fitness, 1200 calories ain't gonna cut it. If you want to eat 1200 calories, you might as well stay in bed all day.

^^THIS^^^ I tried eating 1200 calories and doing cardio exercise. Lost weight initially then stalledl. Increased my calories to 1450 and started to lose again. Then I started Stronglifts 5 x 5 which I do 3 x a week and just do very light cardio on alternative days. I very quickly found that 1450 calories was not enough to fuel my body for the strength training and my weight loss also stalled. I now eat around 1700 calories on lift days and I am still losing weight and above all inches.

I should point out that other than lifting and light catrdio I do very little else physically.

If you are wanting to do strength training I would advise the following:

1. Do not wait until you lose weight, you will also lose some muscle that you already have which will be difficult to replace.
    2. Ensure that you eat enough calories to fuel your body to be able to progress through the weights.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days per week. I try to just be generally active on my rest day. When I first started, 3 days per week was more than enough, but ultimately required more training as I started meeting certain fitness goals in order to progress. My basic routine...

Monday - Run 3 miles

Tuesday - Long walk around lunch to get some sun and move (45-60 minutes); weight training in the evening for 45-60 minutes.

Wednesday - 45 minute running intervals (roughly 3 miles)

Thursday - Long walk around lunch....; weight training in the evening

Friday - 3 mile run

Saturday - weight training AM; some elliptical recovery cardio afterwards

Sunday - just generally active...bike ride, hike in the mountains, etc.

As has been mentioned, if you workout, you're going to need to eat more to fuel that activity. The 1,200 calorie goal assumes you're pretty much going to sit on your *kitten* and do nothing...make sure you're eating back exercise calories as the 1,200 calorie goal already has a substantial calorie deficit built in.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I work out every day, but I use DVD's at home, so I don't have to worry about when I can get to the gym. I also go for a 30 minute 2 mile walk, while carrying my 25 lb baby at least 3 days a week, when the weather is clear and not to cold for her. I plan to add more outdoor time as the weather warms up.
  • dad4192
    dad4192 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    6 on, 1 off.

Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    Cardio or HIIT
    Lift
    OFF

Rinse, repeat.

looks like my schedule
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. I lift three days and do cardio three days. I just added some HIIT interval training in place of some of the cardio.
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I got some good ideas, thank you everyone!
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Taso42 said,
    It really depends on your goals. A good starting point is 3x/week in a structured strength training program. And 2-3x/week doing some sort of cardio/conditioning.

This is what I am doing. I like weight lifting and have been doing it 3x/week for years. Now I am adding cardio on some of the other days... Stationary bike, walking, exercise DVDs, whatever floats my boat in order to eventually figure out a cardio routine that I might like and could stick with.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Seven days a week. Cause I roll like that.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am in training right now...I workout 2 times per day, 7 days per week. I DO NOT recommend this. I have to be very disciplined and careful, as having no full rest days I am leaving myself more prone to injury.

I do recommend adding some strength training to your workout routine. It will be helpful for your goals. If you like cardio, don't stop it. Maybe do some strength before or after your cardio sessions.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Run 3x a week (right now 6 miles each), lift 3x a week
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you and your schedule. I work out a minimum of 5 days a week. If I don't get Saturday and Sunday in...I don't beat myself up, but if I have the opportunity to, I will!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, but I personally do something daily. I don't have "cheat" days or "off" days because I know me. One day will lead to two, two to three, etc. If something comes up, I'm covered, but even then, I try to at least get a power walk in at night.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    6 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. 5 1/2 hours strength, 7 1/2 hours cardio. I also eat at least 1400 calories on days I workout and drink 3 or 4 liters of water :smile:

Good luck!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    6 days a week between 45 mins and an hour - just finishing Insanity today and then going on to the next thing. I plan on keeping it at 6 days a week it works really well for me - I eat anywhere from 1450 calories to 1900 calories a day. Don't know how much I weight or how much I lost in the last 2 months though as I haven't been weighing in.