Need a low fat/calorie alfredo sauce please!

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I cooked up a bunch of chicken and would like to make a low calorie chicken alfredo. I already buy the whole wheat pasta.

Thanks!!

Replies

• RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hi!

I use sour cream as a base for the Alfredo sauce.

Ingredients Calories
    Kraft - Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping, 4.5 tsp 45
    Sour Cream - Light Sour Cream, 3.5 Tbsp 61
    Wal-Mart Great Value - 1% Low Fat Milk, 0.5 cup 55
    Total: 161
    Per Serving: 81

Add more parm, if desired. :)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you aren't against bottled sauce, Classico makes decent alfredo sauce with nearly the calories of the real thing.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks guys!
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I try to make my own (if you google it, there are some you can make with greek yogurt.. yum!). Bertolli makes a Light Alfredo sauce that's not too bad..

1/4 cup of Bertolli has..
    50 calories
    4 g fat (2 are saturated)
    320 mg sodium
    2 g carb
    1 g protein

So needless to say, it has zero nutritional value.. but if you use it every now and then, it doesn't seem too bad.
  • niekkosgirl
    niekkosgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made one out of cauliflower! Use a bag of steam in the bag cauliflower and steam it until mushy. Puree and plop in a pan. Add 1/3 c sour cream, 1/2 c grated parm, and 1/3 c milk (to your desired thickness) and mix thoroughly. You'll have to add garlic/pepper (or even more parm) to your taste; mine came out creamy and tasty. I use skim milk and fat free sour cream and that lowered the WW points. It was delicious, but you might have to play with it a little. I've only made it once so far. :)
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A traditional "white" sauce calls for flour, butter and cream but I make a lighter version using:
    - 1 cup of skim milk
    - 1 tbsp of margarine
    - 1 tbsp of flour
    - 1/2-1 tsp salt

I melt the margarine in a saucepan, remove from heat, add the flour and mix into a paste (using a spatula). I VERY gradually add the milk, just small amounts at a time, mixing the paste so it becomes runny. I keep mixing and stirring until all the milk is in the pan and put back on the stove (still stirring) until it's boiling (don't forget to add the salt at this point). You have to be very gradual when adding the liquid otherwise it becomes lumpy.

The main difference is an alfredo sauce has parmesan cheese in it - so I'm sure you could add some light parmesan to the sauce (at the boiling stage) and it might thicken it up a bit too (sometimes it can be a bit watery with skim milk).

I LOVE this sauce on pasta or boiled perogies. :)
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've made this one with some success a couple of times. I don't remember who posted it, but I got it here on the forum. I just used 4 wedges of plain light swiss laughing cow. I used neufchatel cream cheese instead of fat free. Also I cut the basil way down with no adverse consequences:

Makes 3 Servings

Sauce:
    Laughing Cow Cheese, 3 wedges
    Skim Milk, 3/4 cup
    Heavy whipping cream, 1/8 cup
    Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese, 3 tbsp
    Fresh basil, 1 cup
    Cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp
    Garlic powder, 1/2 tsp
    Onion powder, 1/2 tsp
    Salt & pepper, to taste

Pasta:
    Whole wheat rotini, 1 1/2 cups
    Veggie Italian sausage, 1.5 sausages
    Frozen broccoli, 2 cups
    Parmesan cheese, 3 tbsp

Blend all sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Bring pasta to a boil. 2 or 3 minutes before the pasta is fully cooked, put the broccoli into the pot to cook. Strain the pasta and broccoli and return it to the pot.

Add sauce and vegetarian sausage to the pot and mix well. Cook on low heat until warm, then add the parmesan and mix it in well. When the parmesan melts, it's ready to serve.

Note that if you're using non-vegetarian sausage, you should make sure it's fully cooked.
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    1 c. Fat Free Cottage Cheese
    1 c. Skim Milk
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    2 tbs. butter
    1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese

1. In a blender/food processor, combine cottage cheese, milk, egg, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
    2. In a saucepan, melt butter over low-heat.
    3. Add blended ingredients from step 1, stir and bring to a simmer.
    4. Stir in parmesan cheese.
    5. Top over pasta and enjoy!

I even add some garlic powder & some minced garlic to the butter. Sooooo good! Hubby had no idea that it wasn't regular alfredo. Heats up next day great too!
  • WOODWAYONE
    WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I made one out of cauliflower! Use a bag of steam in the bag cauliflower and steam it until mushy. Puree and plop in a pan. Add 1/3 c sour cream, 1/2 c grated parm, and 1/3 c milk (to your desired thickness) and mix thoroughly. You'll have to add garlic/pepper (or even more parm) to your taste; mine came out creamy and tasty. I use skim milk and fat free sour cream and that lowered the WW points. It was delicious, but you might have to play with it a little. I've only made it once so far. :)

Brilliant. I'm going to make a full fat version of this!
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I make a huge batch because leftovers are so darn good! And then I use the Classico sauce someone mentioned, but thinned out with reduced salt chicken gravy. I also add broccoli, or asparagus or red peppers to it, depending on my mood.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello! I use this recipe and find it delish.

http://www.celebrations.com/content/skinny-chicken-broccoli-alfredo
  • Susiq2222
    Susiq2222 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i've made one with light laughing cow cheese (creamy swiss, the tomato basil is good too), skim milk, coconut milk, almond milk, whichever you prefer to use, and some grated parm. it was pretty good. the laughing cow website has the recipe on it.
    theres also the brand classico that makes a reduced fat one, it is 60 cal 1/4 cup serving, not sure of the fat in it though
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later! :)
  • MRSCOTTRELL
    MRSCOTTRELL Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Low fat low calorie Alfredo sauce sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    But I suppose you could make a white sauce without butter, add cheese and garlic.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a calorie and fat free version. The taste if a little off, but if you spice it up properly, it works fine. Otherwise, melted Laughing Cow wedges work fairly well as well.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump