Runners: to run the half marathon Sunday or not?

Options
Hello, All -

I have run 9 half marathons. I run often. I'm not fast, but I'm consistent. About two years ago during a race (the Army Ten Miler) I stepped off a curb wrong and snapped the ligaments and tendons in one spot in my left foot. That little spot still hurts sometimes, but never badly.

This week, my foot has been bothering me. I did nine miles last Saturday and complained for two days that the little spot was sore I also noticed that my foot was a little swollen and discolored. SInce then, it's healed, I swapped out my shoes and it feels ok.

The problem? I think the bottom line is I'm too proud to admit that maybe my foot is still sore and I feel weak for not doing the race because of a two-year-old injury. I know if it's really hurt then running the race will actually hurt me more, keeping me sidelined for two months (healing time from before) but this will be my tenth half and I'm SO looking forward to it! I've looked in my area and can't find another one this season that I can do.

I'm thinking maybe I just go do four miles or so tonight and see how it feels. I've already done a couple of slow miles this morning and it's ok. But a couple is different than racing 13.1

So, Runner Friends: What would YOU do? Sit it out or let pride win and do it anyway?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally would do it anyway (but skip running at all until Sunday). And then on Sunday, if it's becoming an issue, stop the race, or walk the rest of it.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does walking also hurt your foot? If not, I would show up, try running, and then if it starts to bother you, walk the rest. No sense causing greater harm to yourself. But if walking hurts your foot, I suspect you know it's best not to go at all. Sorry... I have not been injured (yet... knock on wood) but I can only imagine how much it sucks to have to skip something you've been training for and looking forward to.

And I don't know if others would agree with this, but I would not run at all tonight. Save yourself for Sunday.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally would do it anyway (but skip running at all until Sunday). And then on Sunday, if it's becoming an issue, stop the race, or walk the rest of it.

This to a T. I feel your pain running is a hard one to swallow your pride especially when you pay $70 a race! I ran a race 2 weeks ago i shouldn't have ran because it was a tradition race haha. I have not missed one in 3 years i wasn't starting now. see how you feel after your run tonight then go from there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Have you had it looked at?

Assuming it's not serious or that you are going to do further damage by running, I say run the race. Have reasonable goals and expect to talk a bit here and there, just to get yourself in the right mindset. If you end up running it all, then bonus! If not, then you've met your goals and had a successful race.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys. I've decided I'm going to show up and worst case scenario, just walk it. Just showing up is 90% of life, right?
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, showing up is 90%.
    Good Luck, take care.
    Let us know.
    Donna155
  • billibenson
    billibenson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You injured it two years ago and it still bothers you, however, you keep running on it. Run the race and then go get it checked out. Seriously, if you've been running on it this long I don't think you're going to cause any more damage than you already have. But I'm puzzled why you haven't gotten it looked at. (Assuming that you haven't)

I will tell you that running on an injury is NOT the best thing to do. However, I'm guilty myself for doing it. It's a running thing.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Does walking also hurt your foot? If not, I would show up, try running, and then if it starts to bother you, walk the rest. No sense causing greater harm to yourself. But if walking hurts your foot, I suspect you know it's best not to go at all. Sorry... I have not been injured (yet... knock on wood) but I can only imagine how much it sucks to have to skip something you've been training for and looking forward to.

And I don't know if others would agree with this, but I would not run at all tonight. Save yourself for Sunday.

this
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    How did it go? I ran 11 miles today - a new record for me. Hope the half went well for you!