The Zumba Crew w/o 6-21

Options
Hi everyone! Glad that the thread is still going strong!

As many of you guys know, I have been pretty unhappy with my recent zumba class. The instructor has no rhythm or saucy moves!
Last class I told her that I wanted to show her the choreography from one of my songs, and she said 'cool' and then tonight, she let me teach it to the class! Yay! She also made mention that she wanted to step it up.

Today there was a lady from Fla. in class who is here for vacation. She caught me after class and asked "why aren't YOU teaching this class?!" Which made me feel great! She said that compared to her normal class, that this class was a warmup, and that she probably wouldn't come back. I felt bad that people are getting turned off by that class, so it just inspired me to really worked hard toward becoming an instructor and starting my own class.

So anyway...this was also my first class without my dreads piled up on top of my head. It was nice, light and much cooler!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Question. I took my first class last Saturday and was SO LOST. There wasn't any instruction, everyone seemed to know what they were doing except me. I know it takes time to learn the moves, but man! I felt like a tool in there. I'm trying it again with a different instructor tomorrow night hoping for better results. Is this normal??

There is a pretty small vocabulary of steps once you get going, don't worry. Also, most instructors have a small set selection of songs they do, so their regulars will not only know the core steps, but the choreography as well.

You'll be a pro in no time. In the meantime, just keep moving and shake what your mami gave you.

I just wanted to second everything that viv said! Most instructors (except for mine) do the same routine to each song every time, so the people who attend often already know it. Once you know the basic steps, you will really enjoy yourself so much more. Keep at it, I promise it will pay off!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    iluvsparkles, I just wanted to congratulate you on your determination! I wouldn't be able to handle an instructor that you've described you have. Good luck with your certification and classes!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Thanks! I'm trying it again tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted. :flowerforyou:
    Options
    Oh and thanks SraArroz and Viv! That's exactly how I felt! If I had my arms in the air around the same time as everyone else and was facing the same direction I felt almost ok. The funniest part was where the whole class turned around and the then back (where I was hiding) was now the front. You were supposed to walk forward and I was still spinning in circles. Bwaaaahahahahahaa!!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh and thanks SraArroz and Viv! That's exactly how I felt! If I had my arms in the air around the same time as everyone else and was facing the same direction I felt almost ok. The funniest part was where the whole class turned around and the then back (where I was hiding) was now the front. You were supposed to walk forward and I was still spinning in circles. Bwaaaahahahahahaa!!! :laugh: :bigsmile:

Beto (Perez) himself says that even if you can't get the moves quite right, just keep going and freestyle it. At home, I do the DVDs and I lose it once they add more than one body part (steps + arms) *LOL* , so I stand in place and take the steps, instead of hopping back and forth, to get used to moving and to keep my HR up. Works for me.

I give you all credit for going to a class. I am not that bold yet. LOL I enjoy making it up as I go along---at home. Most important is to have FUN! :)

Joy
    Options
    True. I figured I'd try it before buying DVD's. I'm the girl that buys the DVD's, try it once and never see it again. I figured a class atmosphere would be more fun (everyone says it's like a party), but found the Saturday class to be stuck up and unfriendly. The instructor was nice though. We'll see what the Tuesday class brings.
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    iluvsparkles first off Congrats on stepping up and talking to the teacher!!! :drinker: That was a huge step! Then teaching the song to the class thats awesome! Keep practicing!!! and get Zumba Certified!!! I found a small studio yesterday made a call and hey who knows I might be teaching there once I'm certified next month :bigsmile: So I also made a big step yesterday. Yay for us and everyone in the Zumba Crew :flowerforyou:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    My Zumba class has been cancelled for the week! I'm super bummed!

On the plus side, an ex boyfriend saw recent pictures of me on facebook and HAD to friend request me just to message "You look good. What's new?" Haha motivation for sure! :laugh:

How are everyone else's classes going?

Good for you, iluvsparkles for speaking up! There's no reason to be unhappy doing something you love!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    I hate it when class gets canceled! I can't wait til my dvds get here so I can start to do them at home. I found a friend at my new zumba class who is going to start coming over to zumba with me at my house!

can't wait to become an instructor and get going wtih some classes in this area!

Amelia - doesn't it feel so good to be able to look good and basically say "too bad, you lost out' to an ex?! I have one on my facebook who also is constantly making comments on my pictures and saying what a dumbass he was for letting me go. HA!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Amelia - doesn't it feel so good to be able to look good and basically say "too bad, you lost out' to an ex?! I have one on my facebook who also is constantly making comments on my pictures and saying what a dumbass he was for letting me go. HA!

It's the best! I'd like to thank MFP and Zumba for making that smug feeling possible!! :bigsmile:
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    Hey all!

I just ordered the Zumba dvds, so I'm waiting (not so patiently) for them to arrive. I wanted something FUN to add to my regular workouts (I do INSANITY each day) and something that will give me a little jolt in the mornings before my day starts--so I figured Zumba looked like a blast.

I just had my second baby 5 months ago and although I'm happy to say I'm 15 lbs less now than pre-pregnancy, I'm still no where near where I want to be. I know that I just need ot step it up a notch and well, Zumba just seemed right. I love dancing, in fact, I teach dance, so it seemed like a natural fit.

Just wanted to join your group in advance so I can get to know you all for the moral support! I would love to find a class to take, but with two little ones (19 months and 5 months), it's pretty much impossible. So until then...dvds!!! ;)
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Nadyasmom - my twins are also 5 months old! On 1/21 - What's yours birthday? I know how you feel with not being able to get out of hte house for class! I am lucky that the class I attend is from 7-8 so DH gets home right as I am putting them to bed and he takes over so I can go to class. If it were any other time slot, class would be out for me too.
    good luck, and welcome!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    YAY I am glad there is a Zumba crew!! I love Zumba!!! :0) I am going tonight!!!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Had my zumba fix today. All is right in the world. :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Had my zumba fix today. All is right in the world. :bigsmile:

me, too! Endorphins, I love them.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been taking Zumba for just about 2 months. Problem is, I get super busy at work (teacher) and my current group of students is infuriatingly exhausting. So, for the past month, I have not been very consistent. Tomorrow is the last day of school (thank GOD!), so I hope to get back on track with Zumba again. i have 2 important events in the future that I would like to be in better shape for:

1. 20 year high school reunion (October)
    2. wedding (April)

I hope the Zumba Crew can help me stay motivated!!
  • theatremack
    Options
    I am so happy other's LOVE Zumba like I do. I went to a Zumbathon and LOVED it but hated the actual event. It was my first time and no one was welcoming, so I went home and bought the DVD's and now I can't quit. Love it and am happy to find a crew to join in talking about it. :happy:

Excited to start getting serious about losing weight and getting healthier!!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Welcome to all of the newcomers! You have found the right place! There are zumbaholics and zumba instructors, zumba at home and zumba in class. We all just LOVE ZUMBA!

As a brief testimonial, I will just say that 2 years ago, I got my first desk job and had gained too much weight for comfort. I took up zumba in order to get ready for my wedding which was more than a year away. I used my best friends wedding a preliminary goal, and got into shape in plenty of time for it! By the time my own wedding rolled around, i had lost almost 40 lbs from zumba-ing and felt great on my big day! Then on our honeymoon I got pregnant (with twins!) and continued to zumba until about the third month, when I became too uncomfortable. Now that the twins are here, I am an entire 20 lbs HIGHER than I was when I decided that I wanted to lose weight the first time around! So of course, I resorted to zumba, because I know that it will work!! Here's to shaking that baby weight right off!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just poking my head in here guys - I pick up my Zumba DVDs Friday - I'm so excited to try them.
    Options
    Last nights class KICKED BUTT!! It was AWESOME!! The instructor makes all the difference! I'm hitting Tuesday night class from here on out. :bigsmile: