i didnt eat all my food, how do i count my calories?

Options
i always measure out my calories for a meal before i eat them, today i did not eat all of my lunch i barely ate half of it how do i count the calories for it ? since it was a combo of different food i cant really just half it can i?

Replies

• KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Half it.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Um, i would think if she wasn't serious she wouldn't have asked.

jerk
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You didn't save the food for later so you could finish it then still be even in counting your calories???
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You didn't save the food for later so you could finish it then still be even in counting your calories???

thats what i normally do
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ...or weigh/measure what you have left and subtract it. I do what the above posters mention and just end up eating it later in the day and have already accounted for it.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Um, i would think if she wasn't serious she wouldn't have asked.

jerk
    Maybe it wasn't the nicest way to say it - but it is true. What else are you going to do, go to your laboratory and measure out the remaining calories? If you eat half of your food, it is about half the calories.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just take a guess as to if I ate 1/4 or 1/2 and then translate it to decimals: .25 for 1/4 and .5 for 1/2. And .75 if it's 3/4. It will calculate calories accordingly. :smile:
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you ate half of your food, then when you log it you type 0.5 in the box where it shows the amount of servings you had.

For instance:

If you were going to eat an apple, instead of 1 apple, it would be 0.5 apple.

Or juice. Instead of 8 oz of juice, it's 4 oz of juice.

Just cut the amount in half in your diary.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    OK, so i see that you signed up this past January. Was this lunch a take away meal or all fresh foods that you yourself cooked from scratch?

It is very hard to get a 100% accurate calorie count, unless you know how much oil, butter, sugar etc was in it. So i would probably just record half the calories even though you are sure you ate a little less than half.

In general, research shows. that we underestimate what we ate, although looking around that is pretty obvious---people are undercounting our total daily calories much more often than we overestimate them.

Good Luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Count it all. Congrats, you just had a one up to your deficit today.
  • marcynap
    marcynap Posts: 2
    Options
    I did; for portion, I just put the decimal amount. Like instead of 1 portion, just .5 or whatever.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    ES-TI-MATE! *Dalek voice*
  • sslichenmyer
    sslichenmyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    no i am not serious i just have no life and wanted to ask a stupid question

yes i am serious geeze so much for support huh
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah just guestimate :) If approx half just half all the values that you have in your diary. If I have eaten around three quarters I probably wouldn't bother reducing calories to be honest, just count it as a bonus :)

Unless it was something like a whole pizza where a quarter of it left is still like a load of calories lol.
  • sslichenmyer
    sslichenmyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Count it all. Congrats, you just had a one up to your deficit today.

i was thinking i would just do this, i intended on eating it all and i was full i will know next time not to make so much.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you notice, my answer was very kind---and yes, it helps if you don't mind either saving the extra and eating it later OR throwing food away. I say this because for some ppl the concept of not "finishing" is tough to embrace!