Protein Shakes, Building Muscle, Staying Lean

Options
13»

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like the Atkins protein shakes. Sometimes I use them for a quick snack. I can't drink them right after working out because they make me sick, they are just too heavy on my stomach.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for a post strength training replenishment. You can gain muscle and you won't bulk up. Women just don't have the hormones for this. You can gain muscle and lose body fat but you have to really know your body and the calories you are consuming. In the last month I've lost 2.5 lbs and gained 1 lb of muscle. To do this I have been eating my exercise calories, doing 45 minutes of strength training, 10-20 minutes of high intensity cardio and eating at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

I also recommend myoplex ready to drink shakes. They are one of the healthier ones on the market with less sugar, saturated fat, and calories.

I concur with the bulking comment. Women just don't bulk, unless they are taking some sort of hormone. I've gotten the best results with heavy strength training.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone always say that women can't bulk? That is my biggest problem with weight training, and why I avoided it for a long time. I don't get cute, lean muscle... I get scary dude biceps and powerlifter thighs. Does this just mean my mother gave me Hulk genetics? (yes, she has the same issue... I have finally become resigned to the fact that dude arms are better for me than not lifting.

Yes, it probably is genetics. And in a way I think you're highlighting an important point that in some ways is obvious yet can frustrate people if they're not realistic about it. Although with weights you can to some degree "sculpt', none of us can magically be someone else with an "idealised" physique. I have a tendency to put on muscle and will never be "thin" in that sense. Sprinters will never be marathon runners and vice versa.

My trainer and I have discussed quite a bit what my target weight might be (I'm on that smaller harder to lose fat) and we both feel it may not be so easy to tell. He's really surprised how quickly I pack on muscle, so to me it's a matter of if my fat percentage is coming down, and I'm getting stronger and fitter, my physique will go where it's going and it's going to be good whatever it is.

BTW, for what it is worth, someone up there said muscle is sexy (on women) and I agree. Don't know how typical I am but find muscular, even slightly stocky builds my personal "thing". Media pressure to be skinny doesn't speak for every guy, in fact probably not many of them. But the main thing is, aren't we all out to be fitter and healthier?
  • mddomain
    mddomain Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The protein I use is the Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition. It has 120 calories per scoop, 24 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of sugar. The flavors I've tried are absolutely delicious! (Cake batter and Rocky Road really satisfy any sweet tooth cravings!)

Where do you buy this particular brand of protein? I have to admit I am intrigued by the cake batter flavor! :tongue:
  • longhorns2
    longhorns2 Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    FWIW, you don't HAVE to drink protein shakes. Most people drink them because they are convenient. Personally, I think they taste disgusting and I refuse to drink them. I will however, always have a post workout snack, which is usually greek yogurt or 1% cottage cheese. You should try to consume protein after working out (best time is 30 minutes or less) as it helps repair the muscles that are torn/depleted during a workout. Also, when I started really digging into a major fitness routine a few months ago, I weighed 105. Now I weigh 108 but I am much more muscular. I lift pretty heavy weights (at least I think so). Back in the day I could only lift "Barbie" weights. So I have not bulked up by lifting heavy, quite the opposite really, I am very lean, even though I weigh a bit more. Lifting heavy is the way to go! I have lost a few inches in this process as well, everywhere except my arms which gained about an inch around - I love it.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It comes in plain, chocolate and vanilla. A serving is 3 scoops, which is 280 calories, 60g of protein. I usually only use 1/2 scoop at a time twice a day with a cup of milk. It is roughly 50 calories, 10g of protein per 1/2 scoop (scoops are pretty large too) and less than 1g of sugar (2 g for full 3 scoops) They are not horrible...in fact, I am so used to them now that the chocolate tastes like chocolate milk now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    FWIW, you don't HAVE to drink protein shakes. Most people drink them because they are convenient. Personally, I think they taste disgusting and I refuse to drink them. I will however, always have a post workout snack, which is usually greek yogurt or 1% cottage cheese.

You probably know this but there are different types of protein and the type in cottage cheese is casein which is a slow digesting protein as opposed to whey which most people will have post workout as it is quick to digest (much like dextrose for the carbs). In saying that, I always thought if you had a pre workout meal with slower digesting protein and carbs that it would be sufficient to feed your muscles anyway.

Agree with everything else you said :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    FWIW, you don't HAVE to drink protein shakes. Most people drink them because they are convenient. Personally, I think they taste disgusting and I refuse to drink them. I will however, always have a post workout snack, which is usually greek yogurt or 1% cottage cheese.

You probably know this but there are different types of protein and the type in cottage cheese is casein which is a slow digesting protein as opposed to whey which most people will have post workout as it is quick to digest (much like dextrose for the carbs). In saying that, I always thought if you had a pre workout meal with slower digesting protein and carbs that it would be sufficient to feed your muscles anyway.

Agree with everything else you said :)

You're absolutely correct and I should have specified that I eat cottage cheese post workout if I workout at night...last snack before bed...like you said it is slow digesting and helps repair muscles and keep you full while you sleep. :))
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd post here to say I've bodybuilt for the last 6 years and actually hold a rep position for Optimum Nutrition. So if you are after free samples...I can help.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The protein I use is the Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition. It has 120 calories per scoop, 24 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of sugar. The flavors I've tried are absolutely delicious! (Cake batter and Rocky Road really satisfy any sweet tooth cravings!)

Where do you buy this particular brand of protein? I have to admit I am intrigued by the cake batter flavor! :tongue:

You can get Optimum Nutrition at GNC or buy online from bodybuilding.com. My fave flavor is Extreme Milk Chocolate. I also add Vanilla Ice Cream flavor to my oatmeal in the morning.

I don't drink a protein shake as a meal replacement, but I do have one after a strength training workout to aid in muscle repair. I absolutely notice a difference the next day if I don't have protein after a workout - I'm sore and sluggish. But that's just me!